View Single Post
(#24 (permalink))
Old
jesselt (Offline)
弱肉強食

03-24-2010, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
You're creating a false dichotomy. I hope by switching out countries and languages you can understand that there is a third type of person you've not accounted for: laborers from poor nations. I've repeatedly said in this thread that my understanding from school is that Japan has a problem with a lack of laborers and population in general to support their economy. So it's not that Japan needs more CEOs. It's that Japan needs more laborers.

Second, no one is suggesting that people will not immigrate because they didn't learn Japanese. I'm suggesting people will not integrate if Japanese literacy is too unattainable.

And I think the difference between Muslims in France versus in the US is a good illustration of how vitally important integration is to social stability.

Again, I'm not telling Japan how to run its economy and immigration affairs. I'm playing Devil's Advocate with the little bit of demography I know.
What? You've basically said yourself that people immigrate to the US for job opportunities without bothering to learn English. That pretty much proves my point that Kanji doesn't stop people from moving to Japan for job opportunities.

Unless your point was that lack of English proficiency stops immigration, but I hope not.