View Single Post
(#3 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-29-2010, 09:58 AM

I'd say that youtube is a good place. Just look up something Japanese that looks interesting and listen to it. Even if you don't understand it, it's still getting into your ears and your brain is trying to figure out where words end and begin. You won't even realize it, but eventually you will be able to figure things out.

I think standard studying is also important, but straight listening should not be discounted. It's not something that can be done quickly and takes time. (your ears are tuned to your mother language and have to get used to Japanese).

When studying Japanese, that is the biggest obstacle. Don't try to compare Japanese to English too much. They are not similar at all, and even where they are the similarities don't overlap 100%, so it can be cause for trouble. It's like you have to listen to it as if you were a baby. There is no reason for comparisson because there is nothing to compare it with-- that's the best way to think. Also don't forget the main purpose of spoken language: communication. When living in Japan don't discount the other forms of communication (body language, using your hands, drawing things, etc). I think that body language is often not taken as seriously as it should be. To most people it comes naturally, but always keep in mind your body language when communicating with people in Japanese. Chances are that they don't understand you, so they are looking for other cues instead and may focus even more than usual on your body language.

If you are truly interested, I'd recommend starting to listen to Japanese immediately. It may seem pointless to listen to something that you don't understand, but I believe it will help. Writing and reading are helpful, too... but I think learning to 'read' or 'write' too soon can make it harder to speak later on.