View Single Post
(#52 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

05-26-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
And if my gym class WASN'T seperated, I would have certainly NOT done it. In England, gym classes (It's called PE over here) are seperated at high school. Why? It's because that's when young people are developing and growing as teenagers. It's the time when they are body consious, and PE usually requires gym clothes, shorts, tshirt and so on. I would feel wholly uncomfortable to be with males at this time. To change the clothing would be impractical when doing sports, so they just seperated the two. If you wanted to do sports with the guys, it was fine, you just had to go to the after school classes.

In class in England, you are usually sat 'girl, boy, girl, boy.' They claim it's to 'encourage people to mix,' but it's really so you aren't sat next to your friends, which for most people are usually of the same sex, and chat and disturb the class. I thought that this idea is pretty old fashioned, but I wasn't particularly bothered because the majority of my friends were male anyway.
I don't think you should be talking about "England". At my high school in England, most PE lessons were mixed! The only time there was any separation was when we done two sports at the same time, say netball and basketball! Even then, it was the pupils choice!

Same thing goes for the classes. It was always up to the teacher to decide how to sit their pupils! Some teachers done it alphabetically, others boy girl, boy girl, and some just didn't care at all!