View Single Post
(#688 (permalink))
Old
koolk (Offline)
New to JF

06-05-2010, 06:56 AM

Hey,

Let me explain a few items. There are multiple ways to understand his writings.

The Great Gatsby does use a lot of conversational speech, but this is early 20th century narrative. The language is more formal and long sentences are common from Fitzgerald. The book is excellent and made for students around 14-21 yrs old in advanced english classes. The book does not use difficult words, but it uses a lot of similes and symbolisms. Fitzgerald is not direct when he conveys his message, which is the difficult part.

i.e.
Curious Natures = "interesting things"

The adjective curious is something Nick is eager to learn about. Natures is referring to the wilderness; trees, mountains, rivers. This is a simile. Nick does not literally learn about interesting places. Nick says interesting things open up to him. He learns about interesting things (could reference places, people, secrets, gossip, etc).

I cheated and read the next few lines. The next few sentences give a better meaning of what he meant by curious natures.

-----------------------------------------------------

Abnormal mind

Abnormal just means not normal. He generalizes in this sentence so we assume he means most of the people he has met. The only two groups he talked about are "veteran bores" and "interesting people" so we assume he meant those two groups are abnormal minds.

(Interesting people are not always abnormal minds. They are the same subject in this case because Nick was just talking about them.)

In these few sentences, he called most of the people he met as either
1. Boring
2. Has interesting information
3. Abnormal

-----------------------------------------------------

Asians -

I hope I am not confusing you. The sentences have very similar meanings. The most important word to learn is "Every" and "All". These two words are directly stated. "Most" can be implied. I seperated the sentences so you can see which ones have the same meaning.

-------------------------
Every Asian is smart. (100% of Asians)
All Asians are smart. (100% of Asians)
Most Asians are smart. (50-99% of Asians)
The Asians are smart. (50-99% of Asians)
Asians are smart (50-99% of Asians)
An asian is smart (1 person)

Asian is smart (Not a proper sentence)

Hope this helps you.

----Do you know any books which is some study of The Great Gatsby?----

Did you want books in the early 20th Century? Or books in the same grade level? Or books that explain the story of The Great Gatsby?