View Single Post
(#8 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-08-2010, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
I've met several people with high profile degrees who have tossed those 4+ years of schooling away to partake in ESl type work overseas. Not that there is anything wrong with teaching a foreign language, but it would definitely help if you're actually a teacher and/or care about teaching.
I was recently talking to a friend who was in a similar situation.

My friend graduated with a degree in Finance before moving to Japan shortly afterwards to fulfill his dream of living in Japan. He had dreams of living well in Roppongi Hills while earning the big bucks at a company like Goldman Sachs. Of course he came to realize that he wasn't the only one with that dream as he encountered dozens of other applicants who were far better qualified than him. So, he became an Eikaiwa teacher and continued doing that for several years before returning home. (His turning point occurred when several of his ex-classmates visited him in Tokyo with their families, photos of their new house, car, etc. Meanwhile, my friend was just living above the poverty line with no clear future.)

After returning to Canada, he quickly realized that 3 yrs of teaching English didn't exactly look impressive on his resume when it came to financial jobs. So, he's back at school to get an MBA while living with his parents.

Luckily, he bailed out while he was still young. I know at least a dozen others who are still caught in a trance back in Japan.