View Single Post
(#98 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-03-2010, 06:34 PM

Look.. I think Im getting a bit worked up about this. So Im just going to state my final thoughts on this and leave it at that.

I usually respect what you say on here cranks so I apologise for the remarks...

Anyway... I care about this issue a lot.

I love Japan but its not perfect. And I cant stand the governments position on whaling and the treatment of animals.

Regarding Dolphins

-They are self aware animals as shown by scientific research.
-This presents a moral dilemma concerning the killing of dolphins.
-Im not saying that the lives of non-aware animals are worthless. Im against factory farming and think that there is an ethical obligation to raise farm animals in conditions which are not stressful. I dont find the eating of these animals inhumane though as long as they are raised in non-stressful conditions.

Regarding whales

-Commercial whaling should be illegal because it will likely lead to the extinction of many whales.
-Japan says it can implement quotas to hunt whales but if you let Japan whale, then you have to let Korea, Denmark, Iceland, Norway etc whale. How long before competition between the industries leads to exceeding quotas? Unfortunately, big business doesnt have a good reputation in complying with regulations.
-The same argument with self awareness can be made with the whales.
-The culture argument is not valid for 3 reasons. Culture is never an excuse in the face of reasoned and logical points. Culture is not static. It is fluid. It is always changing depending on the times. Whaling is also a part of WESTERN history.

Im done. There is my position.

Again.. apologies for losing my cool. I just care passionately about this.