(#18 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-10-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Statistics

In 1990 the police identified over 2.2 million Penal Code violations[citation needed]. Two types of violations—larceny (65.1 percent of total violations[citation needed]) and negligent homicide or injury as a result of accidents (26.2%)—accounted for over 90 percent of criminal offenses in Japan[citation needed]. In 1989 Japan experienced 1.3 robberies per 100,000 population, compared with 48.6 for West Germany, 65.8 for Great Britain, and 233.0 for the United States; and it experienced 1.1 murder per 100,000 population, compared with 3.9 for West Germany, 1.03 for England and Wales, and 8.7 for the United States that same year[citation needed]. Japanese authorities also solve a high percentage of robbery cases (75.9%, compared with 43.8% for West Germany, 26.5% for Britain, and 26.0% for the United States) and homicide cases (95.9% , compared with 94.4% for Germany, 78.0% for Britain, and 68.3% for the United States)[citation needed]. This is connected to the fact that prosecutions are less likely to be successfully challenged compared to the above mentioned countries, a fact that has caused human rights concerns and has led to a change in the law which will take effect in 2009[citation needed].

Crime in Japan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wikipedia's take.
Just shifting the bold to balance the argument for the lazy readers. That's a bit of a text wall. I think there's better stats on the JPD website. If I get a moment, I'll go see if I can dig them up.