(#20 (permalink))
Old
hadron (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to hadron
01-08-2011, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umihito View Post
Similar to what the UK is doing with it's declining population. The UK is bringing in many Polish immigrants to fill gaps by a declining population.
Do you think something similar will happen to Japan in which it'll bring in more immigrants? Where do you think they'll come from if they do?

Or do you think that Japan will tough it out with the population they have?
I personally hope they do not increase immigration, I think Japan is best staying as a homogeneous nation.
I would like to justify few things

1. The UK wasn't bringing in anyone. They only thing they did was that they allowed free entry and work permit for anyone from some of the new countries which have joined the EEU (European economic union). This condition applies still in this very moment. And basically there was nothing like UK government running programmes for immigrating someone to somewhere.

Just to add ... there were 10 countries joining EEU in 2004 which means, breaking the limits on some economic activities across the countries, like free trade, but that not involved free movement of workforce.

2. It came quite close after (I think same year later) that UK decided they need to cover demand for low-spec workforce or simply cover labour intensive positions like cleaning, manufacturing, or simple admin etc. The problem was because UK natives generally lived high standard and there was not much interest in this kind of work by domestic population.

It of course took its effect, but economic crisis helped it as well... for comparison, if you come to UK in 2005 you would be able to get agency job paid 5-12 pounds per hour, or even more. Today all such jobs would be paid by minimum salary no matter what or when you do it, and that is just about 5 pounds per hour.

3. And there is one massive difference between comparing japan immigration and EEU cross-country movement. EEU is heavily slowly, but possibly coming to state similar of United States of America.

Some of the facts:
- Once you are EEU citizen you can move freely across all its countries as long as you can identify yourself. Especially you don't need anything like visa.
- There are various levels of country combinations of who can work where and where one cannot.
- In most cases you can use your national ID card to cross borders, so you don't need to setup a passport.
- UK doesn't have national ID cards in use, mostly these are used in post-communistic countries of the Europe.
- There are no physical borders between most of the countries and there are no border controls when you cross the borders by land, meaning if you go from Poland to e.g. Spain by car you will get there without any single piece of paper although I would never recommend you to go without ID or passport. You would be fine even if you had a bucket of cocaine in the trunk
- UK is an island country so of course there is a border control in ports, and you got to have some sort of ID to enter the country.
- Although UK still uses pound sterling, and Poland uses zloty as their currency, many other countries of EEU use the same currency which is Euro(€).
- The major difference between EEU and US is, that nearly each country of EEU uses different language and has its own cultural roots. There is nothing like uncle Sam in Europe.

So based on these facts I dont think that Japan is anyway near to this kind of state of immigration and population flow. Whether Japan should let some immigrants to enter... I don't know, but if they do, it will be much different process to Europe's situation, cause going from Poland to UK is more like going from Washington to Alaska, definitely not like going from World to Japan .

Last edited by hadron : 01-08-2011 at 05:46 AM.