View Single Post
(#14 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-16-2011, 02:51 AM

To me it sounds like she is speaking in a "californian" accent. While it's very convincing, when she said "about" it was obvious that she wasn't from california, or wherever she is trying to sound like. To me, I can tell when someone is Canadian, or at least from (like others have said) nothern US/Canada. I don't know if this is representative of all Canadians, but I've notice they tend to overpronounce (coming from a Californian). Also, I hear words like "been" being prounced as "bean" and other small things like that which I honestly can't think of right now. One more thing is that I've noticed more Canadians than I have Americans pronouncing "pronunciation" as "pronounce"-"ciation". There can also be a slight intonation difference as well... while it's pretty close to American intonation, every now and then there is something that sounds slightly to very English.

So I think that if the Canadian was trying REALLY hard to try to sound like they weren't from Canada I'd have a hard time. If they were just talking as usual, I think I'd have a chance at picking it out.