(#27 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-20-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
which parts of LOndon are dirty.
I go there fairly often; compared to other cities (especially Japan), it's pretty grotty. We also don't cull our pigeons so much so there's loads of diseased birds limping around, and we have more dogs. Not nice. Plus the sheer amount of car fumes stains things; it's pretty much a local joke that londoners have black bogeys. The amount of cigarette butts and chewing gum is outrageous too. Didn't seem to be half so much left all over the place in Japan, which considering how many people smoke is fairly remarkable. London's still not as bad as China though. The British may let their dogs poo on the street, but at least we stop our kids from doing it.

Quote:
Smog and all that. Maybe factories that throw out discarded smoke and chemicals into the river etc.
*groans* don't say that. I spend half my time convincing foreigners that London isn't full of pea-soup smog and they won't die of air poisoning at night if they go there. The Thames isn't perfect, but it's actually cleaner than it was. Still work to go on it, but they're slowly recovering fish stocks in the river.

Quote:
steam trains left lots of smut to ruin the washing hanging out to dry.
and I'm pretty sure THAT hasn't been an issue pretty much anywhere for a good 50 years.