View Single Post
(#20 (permalink))
Old
lovelyfrogly (Offline)
New to JF

01-21-2011, 12:56 PM

Kyotobound, I'm interested by your ID name and course of study. I myself am heading toward Kyoto... um... Kyoto University of Art and Design... Are we on the same boat? ..

Well, I'm as well having the same dilemma as you are. I don't know whether you are going to be in Japan for only a semester or more. But for me, with the condition set by my university, I will have to spend around 4 years course (I'm on Monbusho for master degree) where all the classes and thesis will be done fully in Japanese. My Japanese is zero, but there's the challenge. So, in that sense, I'm thinking to get a MBP there (with Japanese keyboard), buy AppleCare there, and get a student discount.

However, Apple is not everything great. I had a horror story with an Apple MBP early 2008 model where it was a defect Apple item ( I wrote a little article about it in Apple MacBook Pro nVidia Issue ). And so many around the world had the same bad experience. But however horrible my experience with Apple is, my work which is concerning around art and (mostly photography) need the goodness of Apple. It's fast, it's simple, color-precise, it's just work. And if compatibility is your issue, don't worry Apple can be used for both system (there is PC booth). You can both install Maya, 3d Max, Soft image in both systems if you prefer. Well I'm not a tech nerd so this is as far as i can tell.

But my point is, yes Apple is expensive. But be prepare cause expensive doesn't mean it's guaranteed to be full satisfactory. Prepare to pay more for AppleCare plan $300 which will protect your Apple for another 2 years (total 3 years). My last MBP was only lasting less than 3 years. I'm so angry with Apple but there's no other product suitable for my work (I need precise color, ease of use, reliable monitor for my photographs, least maintenance from upgrade and viruses etc). It's kinda blind love. Anyway, from what I read in many forums, Apple seems to be the best with US customers (from what I read in forums, US customers get more replacement with their defective early 2008 MBP units). So I figure if you are only going to spend a semester in Japan, to buy an Apple in your home country is much better compare to the rest of the world. I'm a non-US citizen/resident where to buy an Apple product in Japan will be preferable than in my country. At least it's less baggage to carry!