View Single Post
(#71 (permalink))
Old
skywok (Offline)
New to JF

Well said MMM - 02-16-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Since when did people get this idea that Japan can be your own personal secret Wonderland where you are the only foreigner any Japanese people will see or meet or ever talk to? This isn't pre-Meiji era anymore. There are thousands and thousands of foreigners living in Japan... especially in Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Nagoya and other major metropolises. It's 2011... what in the world do you expect?

I am not going to apologize when I say I find this attitude incredibly immature and short-sighted.

I enjoy meeting other non-Japanese in Japan because oftentimes we are like two random ships in the dark with very different stories and lives... in other words people I would never have the chance to meet back at home, even if it is just one time over a drink after dinner.
Hear, hear! You know it's easy to get a feel for someone based on first impressions. Don't you go through weeks in Australia where you just get one person after another asking directions (it must be a vibe thing) And then you go for weeks when there are no directions requested. Whatever the filter, who cares.

I've had foreign and local lifesavers. Sometimes the interaction is very brief, but it is still appreciated. For someone who isn't fluent in Japanese, the sight of a gaijin can be welcome. There are other times where the behaviour is embarrassing. Not everyone is observant enough to assimilate (at least to a basic extent). Though eventually, Japan seems to rub off on people.

People is people. Whether they nod, smile or wink at each other, who cares? (Okay, so sometimes winking is a little creepy) No one knows anyone else's story at a glance, but you get a feel for whether you might have something in common. No one is marrying anyone, not bound in eternal friendship and certainly - as far as I know - there is no stealing of souls involved in human courteous acknowledgement (if the moment presents itself).

Honestly, I have had the most heart wrenching experiences in Japan, where the simplest of assistance has made me realise what being human is, more than anywhere else on earth. This from a place where I always thought "the nail that sticks out must be hammered in" What better place to learn how to be humble than Japan?

It's surely more about how people carry themselves, and how well founded they are in who they are. Those with a solid sense of self surely see people as people that little bit more.

Last edited by skywok : 02-16-2011 at 10:59 AM.