(#40 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-21-2011, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gahzirra View Post
I find it funny that you use the term "fit in" how about being open minded or wanting to experience something other than you are use to. Guess we should all give strange looks at the Japanese that are eating In N' Out burgers wearing shorts and a T-shirt...shouldn't they be having sushi wearing traditional outfits.

[ ... ]

So people can think whatever they want of me, or feel embarrassed(as another poster stated) about my need to "fit in" but I will be enjoying myself and experiencing things I never would have.
You misinterpreted what I was saying.
I put quotes around the "fit in" because it wasn`t a serious meaning.

There are people who feel that they NEED to wear kimono and do traditional things in order to fit in. They feel that they need to do such things to be "more Japanese" - when, as you noted, the average Japanese doesn`t even do such things. For the people I was speaking of, it isn`t an experience. It isn`t for enjoyment. There are people who feel this is NECESSARY. They tend to feel that all Japanese SHOULD be wearing kimono and eating sushi, as you put it... And usually look down on anything western because it "is destroying Japanese culture".

If you did interpret me correctly, and the above describes you, well... Never mind then.

Quote:
I still do not get this close minded way of thinking? So your saying a Japanese person living in America will never know what it's like to be an American and will never be able to understand what it is because it's impossible for a foreigner to understand our ultra complex culture? As if it's some cosmic secret an American can never understand the Japanese culture?
A Japanese person in America will never know what it is like to to be born and raised an American, just as a foreigner in Japan will never know what it is like to be born and raised Japanese. It is possible to know what is involved, and to know about every facet of life in Japan - but you cannot *know* the experience as you have not had it.
Understanding the culture is possible. Having the experience of having grown up in the culture is not something you can acquire.

Quote:
You are making it sound like every foreigner who wants to live in Japan and be a part of its culture is some crazy person who see's Naruto and Nanoha around every corner. You postulate its unthinkable to reject ones own culture? As if their perception must be flawed to want to be anything other than what they have been given. Culture is no different a choice than anything else in life.
Being part of Japanese culture isn`t rejecting everything non-Japanese. I think this is the biggest problem. Rejecting everything that isn`t "really Japanese" isn`t going to get you far as Japan isn`t entirely "really Japanese" stuff. People don`t wear kimono everyday, and they don`t confine themselves to traditional foods and culture. To reject things that are "western" is to reject a huge part of Japan.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.

Last edited by Nyororin : 05-21-2011 at 01:12 AM.