View Single Post
(#83 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

06-16-2011, 08:41 PM

J-pop isn't as "huge" as how K-pop may be becoming, because it isn't as versatile. At least, that's my opinion. From what I've seen and heard, Korean pop culture emulates Western pop culture in a way unlike that in Japan.

Japan has long been known for implementing Western aspects into their own culture while also maintaining some form of traditional conservatism in them. J-Rock is unique, in my opinion, not solely because it's Japanese but because of the way the Japanese have turned it into a distinguishable sub-genre. J-Rockers can be told apart from other countries' rockers.

K-pop has yet to develop this kind of unique quality to much of its music. In fact, I consider it to be more Western-esque than J-pop.

Korean Pop's recent widespread popularity can be attributed to this fact: It seems generally more Western-styled. Western culture is of its own kind, but it's a product of a melting pot society. The Western world can be defined by a mentality created by certain universal values and perspectives, notably (officially) excluding qualities that discriminate against ethnicity, nationality, and religion. When it comes to music, this can translate into a more free form of expression; one that isn't as obligated to preserve an original tradition or identity as in countries like Japan.

Simply put... Japan can benefit from safeguarding its own identity and continuing to earn recognition for being an individual nation, while Korea can benefit from somewhat integrating more into western culture and from the subsequent recognition earned thereof.

If we really want to compare the two to conclude which is better, we could determine when K-pop and J-pop "started" and take note of the rate of rise in popularity, the extent of its influence in correlation to its rate of popularity, its increase and decline of sales numbers, the amount of publicity each has received in which duration, the general impression of non-related audiences, etc., etc., etc. Calculate them with each factor taken into consideration.
Good luck with that.

Statistics are fine, but I can assure you, logic formed through common sense is not something you should dismiss as invalid. I could find a chart for each nation reinforcing the notion that one is better than the other.

No, K-pop is not bigger than J-pop; J-pop seems to be older and, therefore, has a more stable position in the world.

Yes, at the rate that it's growing, K-pop could possibly surpass J-pop in some aspects.

Whichever is better depends on your taste and level of education (believe it or not).

People on these forums can be so biased. It's disturbing.

Last edited by Jaydelart : 06-17-2011 at 02:12 AM.