View Single Post
Old
yuriyuri (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-10-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
This "Adjective + め" form is extremely useful and is used very often but for some reason, Japanese-learners rarely use it.
In my opinion, whether it is correct or not, this is because most Japanese learners don't usually know it exists - I mean, of course people see it in things like 早めに as in the question you answered above, but most people don't know it exists as a kind of conjugation (or at least, that's what I think).
To the best of my knowledge I haven't seen it in any text books which I have tried to read.
And it isn't even in my grammar dictionaries, which usually serve me quite well.

The only reason I knew it existed was because I saw it in a manga or drama or something like that quite some time ago.
And even then it was pretty difficult to find any information about it in English (Then again I may have just not known what to look for)

Anyway, my point in making this post is because I decided to look on the internet for some kind of explanation of this conjugation in Japanese, and I found the explanation below this paragraph which is an excerpt from a PDF, which is as far as I know entitled "形容詞の名詞化接尾辞:「-さ」・「-み」・「-め」と「-き」について"
And I just wondered if you would agree with this small explanation from the PDF.

"4. 名詞化接尾辞「-め」と「-き」
日本語形容詞の名詞化接尾辞には「-さ」と「-み」のほかに、それに似た働きをもつ「-め」と「-き」がある。「-め」は次元形容詞「長い・短い・太い・細い・厚い・薄 い・深い・浅い」などの語幹に付いて、「葱を長/短か めに切る」「牛蒡を太/細めに削る」「テンプラを厚/ 薄めに揚げる」「畠を深/浅めに掘り返す」などのよう に、程度や傾向を表す名詞を派生する。
一方、「-め」が口語で多く使われるのに対し、「-き」は文語や文語めいた文脈の中で使われる。"

Since this is the most in depth explanation I have found so far (I haven't been searching for very long) I wondered if this is an accurate description of the conjugation you spoke about in your quote at the top of this post.

Also, after reading your explanation and the explanation I quoted above (if it is correct) would it be correct for example to say:
お酒は熱めの方がいい

And would it be correct to translate this into something like:
I like my sake on the hot side

Last edited by yuriyuri : 07-10-2011 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Added extra question at the bottom of the post