View Single Post
(#8 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

10-06-2011, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manganimefan227 View Post
I have, somewhat of an objection to this "Native people make better teachers" theory.

The first sensei I had was a very nice person . . .However she didn't teach us ALOT in the , like, 11 months we had her. She was an old lady though, and I imagine she probably taughtbetter earlier, but we didn't learn A TON and some of what she tried teaching made little sense.

We then get this white guy from Idaho and he, aside from the accent issue (To be honest I never paid attention to his accent) he taught very well and he taught alot. I think part of it was that Japanese was his second language and he taught using both methods used for Native English speakers and now we'restudying from a real Japanese article about sobasta (Soba pasta) with all the glorious kanji (Oh the joy)

I'm not saying Natives will always be orse, but you can't say they'll always be better.

Coinkidinkly, that same year, a black women with an American accent taught me and other kids Spanish, THAT was alot more fun of a year than the Spanish Hispanic teacher I have this year, but she's still nice and she's still a good teacher.

So yeah, with the right qualifications, like Columbine listed, it can be done I think.
It's not about what we believe in or any theory behind this, none of us are saying that this is a theory per say, but a preference by the hiring manager