View Single Post
(#14 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-09-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzy View Post
Except you don't absolutely have to tip. Its an optional extra which is just the polite thing to do and standard practice- when places back home do include a service charge on the bill though then I feel fully within my rights to moan about it, that is just wrong and defeats the point of a tip.

And wow, so much agro in this thread.
I like Japan too, that doesn't mean I even defend the bad parts of it.
Even so, its just standard. Lots of bars have a cover charge in different places around the world, and you have to pay that. Just think of it like a cover. Basically, if you go to a bar and they drop something in front of you that you did not ask for, you will be paying the seat charge. You can avoid this charge by doing nomihoudai (all you can drink deals) or set courses though at some izakayas. Also if you look around you can find bars that you basically just order at the counter and you probably will not have seat charge at those type of places.

In any case why would you not tip? In places that one tips the wait staff they typically make like 3 bucks an hour, and depend upon the tips of their customers. I mean would you really not tip?? Even if the service is horrible I will still leave 10%. You are just a total ass if you don't in my opinion. So yeah you are right, tipping is optional, like being kind and courteous. You don't have to, but if you don't people will think you are a jerk-off.

Last edited by RickOShay : 10-09-2011 at 09:32 PM.