JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
rayluber95 (Offline)
New to JF

Talking Spanx!!! - 08-01-2007, 10:15 PM

Thank you to everyone who answered my question. That's kinda me, can't draw for crap. I'm actually in the process of looking for an artist. I've been going to a lot of anime clubs, but does anyone know how you can approach someone at an anime convention and ask them to work with you??? I think I'll make that a question~!!!

People keep saying that flying is the safest way to travel, but I've never seen a tricycle get hijacked by terrorists. OHMIGAWD~!!! I just burned all your butts! Put that in your juice box and suck it advertisers!

Someone should sue red bull for false advertising. It does NOT give you wings...I found that out the hard way...

What we do today will forever echo throughout eternity...so don't screw it up.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-01-2007, 10:27 PM

I would try some anime or manga related forums. They often have a want-ads section. Many people who "work together" never actually meet. They do all their interations over email.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
BlueGirl (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to BlueGirl Send a message via MSN to BlueGirl Send a message via Yahoo to BlueGirl
08-02-2007, 11:20 PM

You don't necessarily have to sign on with a big company (though that's always a bonus). You can just make amateur manga yourself. I've heard it's not that uncommon.

Family
Sister: EmoxPride
Cousin: ToKyObOxRoBoT, Jo_Kittie
Cousin in Law: NanteNa
Creepy Next-Door-Neighbor: Kittenx
Japanese, Korean and Hong Kong Street Fashion
(#14 (permalink))
Old
ILOVEJAPAN (Offline)
JF Old Timer

doujinshi - 08-03-2007, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGirl View Post
You don't necessarily have to sign on with a big company (though that's always a bonus). You can just make amateur manga yourself. I've heard it's not that uncommon.
Yes doujinshi is always a good option.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
ILOVEJAPAN (Offline)
JF Old Timer

yes - 08-03-2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanji_The_Wanderer View Post
Well, if you can't draw for crap it is much easier to have your book over-looked. A good artist who can excel at both art and a storyline will hit it off better. That is the main reason why I said that.... Since for me, the story can be awesome, but if I don't like what I am looking at, then I just cannot enjoy it the same as I would enjoy a manga book by a better artist.

Practice makes perfect, so it is best to sharpen the skills in all these areas, not just rely on one.
Yes, I agree, its much better to be a good artist. Im just saying its not a requerment.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Shidash (Offline)
JF Regular

08-03-2007, 08:55 PM

Just a question on this topic. Is it possible to be a manga author without being an artist? Can you work with someone else? I am great with writing and storylines but I can't draw.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
ILOVEJAPAN (Offline)
JF Old Timer

absolutly - 08-03-2007, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidash View Post
Just a question on this topic. Is it possible to be a manga author without being an artist? Can you work with someone else? I am great with writing and storylines but I can't draw.
Absolutly!

You can do whatever you want. There are no rules. Some famouse manga-ka have other artists do the drawings for them (think Death Note)

Even authors who can draw, usualy hire asistents to work on the panels and bubbles and stuff (at least in Japan)
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Morbidachan (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Morbidachan
08-03-2007, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayluber95 View Post
Well, first of all, I'm kinda speaking furure wise since I'm still a kid. It's not really done yet, plus my style isn't really in the most popular genre section... STUPID ADVERTISERS! Anyways, do they just put it in? I mean, is there some kinda requirment that damn and hell can't be in it, or there has to be a certain ammount of fight scenes, or no squirrels that rule the world...?

I'm just going to say: Hiroaki Samura. He was in art school but didn't do too good in oil paintings, and poof! He thinks up a storyline HE likes, draws it and sends it off to a company and gets it accepted and then drops out of school.
Do whatever you want, aslong as you have doubts I'm sure people will like it!

I'm not an artist either, but I'm working with my friend who can draw pretty good to put up an online manga. She's not good with stories, and I'm not good with drawing so much, so we're a good team!
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Shidash (Offline)
JF Regular

08-04-2007, 04:25 PM

Is it possible to become a manga-ka before I am an adult? Should I write it in English or Japanese (I plan on being fluent in Japanese before I write manga). I wouldn't mind working with someone in Japan even though I live in the US but I also wouldn't mind writing American manga. To me, manga and anime are the same no matter what country they come from as long as they stay true to the original art style and qualities that Japanese anime and manga have.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-04-2007, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidash View Post
Is it possible to become a manga-ka before I am an adult? Should I write it in English or Japanese (I plan on being fluent in Japanese before I write manga). I wouldn't mind working with someone in Japan even though I live in the US but I also wouldn't mind writing American manga. To me, manga and anime are the same no matter what country they come from as long as they stay true to the original art style and qualities that Japanese anime and manga have.
Manga has an art style? Just because they are Japanese doesn't mean that there is one manga style. What "style" would they need to be true to?