JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   what is the real Japan like? (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/10421-what-real-japan-like.html)

Devan 12-09-2007 11:30 PM

what is the real Japan like?

I know some people don't like it when other's ask, but, really, what is the real Japan like.......the country sides, the cities, the shrines, anything..:D

Hatredcopter 12-09-2007 11:38 PM

In what regards?

There's a lot to say about all those things.

Devan 12-09-2007 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatredcopter (Post 322329)
In what regards?

There's a lot to say about all those things.

the culture, people, or anything you know or what to say.....lol:cool:

samurai007 12-09-2007 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devan (Post 322331)
the culture, people, or anything you know or what to say.....lol:cool:

It's hard... words don't really do it justice. Living in Japan for 2 years was a life-changing experience, something I'll never forget. The shrines were incredible and I visited a ton of them. The people were very friendly and helpful. There were just so many interesting sights, sounds, smells, and tastes to experience!

Devan 12-09-2007 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samurai007 (Post 322334)
It's hard... words don't really do it justice. Living in Japan for 2 years was a life-changing experience, something I'll never forget. The shrines were incredible and I visited a ton of them. The people were very friendly and helpful. There were just so many interesting sights, sounds, smells, and tastes to experience!

your so lucky, I've begged my mom to send me there as a foreign exchange student, but she wouldn't let me.....lol, thankz ;)

samurai007 12-10-2007 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devan (Post 322340)
your so lucky, I've begged my mom to send me there as a foreign exchange student, but she wouldn't let me.....lol, thankz ;)

Keep going to school and get your degree. I didn't go as an exchange student either, I was on the JET Program, teaching English in the Japanese high schools when I was 25 years old. And to be honest, I think I was able to appreciate Japan much more because I was older, more mature, and had far more freedom to travel and do whatever I wanted than I would have had as an exchange student.

DesiredMess 12-10-2007 12:23 AM

I heard that the Japanese don't like foreigners living there...I know it sounds off the wall, but my friend told me. I'm planning to live in Japan after I get a degree so I'm hoping it isn't.
So hearing they are friendly made me happy.

Devan 12-10-2007 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samurai007 (Post 322343)
Keep going to school and get your degree. I didn't go as an exchange student either, I was on the JET Program, teaching English in the Japanese high schools when I was 25 years old. And to be honest, I think I was able to appreciate Japan much more because I was older, more mature, and had far more freedom to travel and do whatever I wanted than I would have had as an exchange student.

I figured you were older when you been there(not to call you old or anything), because you just sound more experienced with the place.......and I'm not that immature....I might be 16 but I've had my share of life... I think I would enjoy it just the same.........lol:eek:

DesiredMess 12-10-2007 12:26 AM

Seeing at any age would be amazing really. Just appreciate it while you can. Those experiences don't come everday.

Devan 12-10-2007 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesiredMess (Post 322348)
I heard that the Japanese don't like foreigners living there...I know it sounds off the wall, but my friend told me. I'm planning to live in Japan after I get a degree so I'm hoping it isn't.

I'm not foreshore if I'd live there, yet, but it would be awesome to do:D

Devan 12-10-2007 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesiredMess (Post 322353)
Seeing at any age would be amazing really. Just appreciate it while you can. Those experiences don't come everday.

you don't see anything everyday........lol, get what I mean

---even in the next town......lol

DesiredMess 12-10-2007 12:47 AM

Yeah, that's really true. You might have a better focus or understanding of things when you are older, but in the long run if you truly love Japan you would be able to appreciate it just fine...

And who says you can't see it when your young and older alike?:p

MMM 12-10-2007 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesiredMess (Post 322348)

My neighborhood loved having a foreigner live there. It made them feel "cosmopolitan".

DesiredMess 12-10-2007 01:03 AM

Haha, I was hoping they didn't have a problem with foreigners...I guess my friend was wrong. I think they only dislike it when foreigners are rude there.

Hatredcopter 12-10-2007 01:07 AM

It depends where you are, who you interact with, and how you act. I've lived in Japan for 1.5 years and I've almost never encountered any kind of racism or disdain. The biggest thing is that a lot of Japanese are just reluctant to interact with a foreigner, often because they seem to feel that their English isn't very good and want to 'save face', as it were.

Guza 12-10-2007 01:08 AM

i think japan is what you make it, if your a young male and like to party like me youll prolly have a blast, xD
i havent been there yet but, im workin on it xDDD

ps-i heard its best to go there when your single xD

DesiredMess 12-10-2007 01:24 AM

lmao!! That last part made me laugh so hard... I guess foreigners make good partners? Nah.. haha.

Yeah, I guess it's if you are friendly to them they will be friendly back. I just hope that when I move there I won't be a black sheep and be able to atleast make some friends.

samurai007 12-10-2007 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devan (Post 322349)
I figured you were older when you been there(not to call you old or anything), because you just sound more experienced with the place.......and I'm not that immature....I might be 16 but I've had my share of life... I think I would enjoy it just the same.........lol:eek:

I didn't mean you are immature, just that I was more mature at 25 than 16.

Also, I knew some exchange student over there, and their host families tended to be VERY protective. They couldn't stay out late, go places unless it was supervised, etc. The host family would feel very ashamed if anything happened to their student, so they watched them carefully. As a teacher, though, I lived on my own, no host family, and I could go where I want, travel around Japan, do what I want, etc as long as I showed up for school and taught the classes I was supposed to teach. I had much more freedom.

DesiredMess 12-10-2007 01:33 AM

Yeah, freedom would certainly make the experience better. If I was a hot family though I'd be overprotective too. Haha.

Devan 12-10-2007 01:34 AM

I just wish I could see it first hand:)

DesiredMess 12-10-2007 01:34 AM

I'm just impatient to see it. :p

Devan 12-10-2007 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samurai007 (Post 322424)
I didn't mean you are immature, just that I was more mature at 25 than 16.

Also, I knew some exchange student over there, and their host families tended to be VERY protective. They couldn't stay out late, go places unless it was supervised, etc. The host family would feel very ashamed if anything happened to their student, so they watched them carefully. As a teacher, though, I lived on my own, no host family, and I could go where I want, travel around Japan, do what I want, etc as long as I showed up for school and taught the classes I was supposed to teach. I had much more freedom.

I understand, but if someone like you were to take in a student, that would make their experience so much more worth while.......lol

Devan 12-10-2007 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesiredMess (Post 322440)
I'm just impatient to see it. :p

I know how you feel......lol

Devan 12-10-2007 01:46 AM

be back later..........lol

MMM 12-10-2007 01:48 AM

I visited Japan when I was 16, and then lived there for a few years in my early 20s. Definately a different experience, but both were very valuble.

DesiredMess 12-10-2007 03:46 AM

So you moved back from Japan? What was it like living there?

Devan 12-10-2007 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 322462)
I visited Japan when I was 16, and then lived there for a few years in my early 20s. Definately a different experience, but both were very valuble.

where did you live both times...??:vsign:

MMM 12-10-2007 04:30 AM

When I visited I was in Chiba, near Tokyo, and when I lived there I was in a town between Osaka and Kobe.

komenasai 12-10-2007 04:33 AM

hai . . . .

hai . . . im new here . . . . do u guys now how to speak japanese ??? coz i wanna learn o . . . .

Nyororin 12-10-2007 04:40 AM

I`ll have lived here for 10 years this coming March. I first came over here when I was 17.
Japan isn`t a magical land of happiness. It isn`t the answer to anyone`s problems either, no matter what people seem to think. (Not saying that directly to anyone in this thread. Just... Well, browse through other threads and that seems to be the impression way too many people have.)

It`s a place, just like any other place, with good and bad. In 10 years, I`ve never experienced any problems due to not being Japanese - but enough people apparently have for it to be considered an issue. I have to wonder exactly what a lot of those people were doing at the time that they had a problem, as 99% of the time if you speak Japanese and behave like a Japanese person would in the same situation, you won`t have any trouble.

MMM 12-10-2007 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by komenasai (Post 322549)
hai . . . im new here . . . . do u guys now how to speak japanese ??? coz i wanna learn o . . . .

Yes...I do. If you go to the "Learning Japanese" area you'll find a lot of people just like you...

MMM 12-10-2007 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyororin (Post 322559)
I`ll have lived here for 10 years this coming March. I first came over here when I was 17.
Japan isn`t a magical land of happiness. It isn`t the answer to anyone`s problems either, no matter what people seem to think. (Not saying that directly to anyone in this thread. Just... Well, browse through other threads and that seems to be the impression way too many people have.)

It`s a place, just like any other place, with good and bad. In 10 years, I`ve never experienced any problems due to not being Japanese - but enough people apparently have for it to be considered an issue. I have to wonder exactly what a lot of those people were doing at the time that they had a problem, as 99% of the time if you speak Japanese and behave like a Japanese person would in the same situation, you won`t have any trouble.

I agree with Nyororin...There are things that are better than at home, and things that are worse, but I would certainly recommend checking it out if you have an interest in Japan.

If you are just interested in anime and manga, which is fine, as I am too, you can find neat stuff, but none of it will be in English. Pretty much all English-language stuff is published in the US or UK or whereever.

DesiredMess 12-10-2007 04:53 AM

Do you like it better in Japan or America, and what are some of the biggest culture gaps? And how are the people over in Japan different from American behavior wise?

I'm sorry, I really want to learn up on the culture. I'm serious about moving to Japan one day, and I want to learn how to live like a Japanese instead of one of those complaining homesick foreigners.

DesiredMess 12-10-2007 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 322573)
Yes...I do. If you go to the "Learning Japanese" area you'll find a lot of people just like you...

Haha, sorry..I had to laugh.

How much language should you know before you go to Japan? And what are some good courses to learn it? Sorry again for so many questions...I'm just curious.

MMM 12-10-2007 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesiredMess (Post 322576)
Do you like it better in Japan or America, and what are some of the biggest culture gaps? And how are the people over in Japan different from American behavior wise?

I'm sorry, I really want to learn up on the culture. I'm serious about moving to Japan one day, and I want to learn how to live like a Japanese instead of one of those complaining homesick foreigners.

Some things I like better in Japan, like not needing a car, and the food. Other things I like better in America.

There are tons of cultural differences in places you wouldn't expect, like how people stand in line (much closer than in the US) and how people tend to use cash over credit cards (there are no debit cards or checks). So that keeps it exciting. I am considering moving back someday...

MMM 12-10-2007 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesiredMess (Post 322577)
Haha, sorry..I had to laugh.

How much language should you know before you go to Japan? And what are some good courses to learn it? Sorry again for so many questions...I'm just curious.

The more the better. Not many Japanese feel comfortable speaking English, even if they know fairly well (which not a high percent do). Courses?

DesiredMess 12-10-2007 05:08 AM

I hope you don't mind me asking, but why did you move out of Japan?

Courses as in language learning ads. I should look in the other forum for language, but since you lived there and seem to be frequent I'm wondering how you learned the language well enough to have lived there.

Hatredcopter 12-10-2007 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesiredMess (Post 322576)
And how are the people over in Japan different from American behavior wise?

Like MMM said, there's lots of cultural differences -- some that will seem strange and some not-so-strange. For one thing, Japanese appear to be very reserved in public, but not quite so at the bar or at home.

For example, in an American hospital, you'll often see complete strangers chatting and talking with each other. In a Japanese hospital waiting room, everyone is dead silent. That doesn't mean Japanese people are cold or anything, though - once you get to know a person, they're very much more open and friendly.

There's all sorts of little things too. For example, it's perfectly acceptable to ask a person their weight (including a woman). It's also perfectly acceptable to slurp your noodles and make a bit of noise while eating them - it's considered a compliment to the chef.

I've spent over four years learning Japanese, lived there for 1.5 years (moving back next year for JET), studied abroad there and lived with a host family as well as in a dormitory at a Japanese university. I also interned at a law firm there for a couple months doing some basic translation work.

If you have any questions, just ask :D.

DesiredMess 12-10-2007 05:18 AM

Thank you so much!!

Yeah, I heard they are more reserved, or polite, in public than America.

But one thing is, I think it's acceptable to ask someone their weight because most of the Japanese are so skinny! I always wanted to know their secret to thinness. >__>

Is it expensive to live in Japan? And what are some good paying jobs you can get over in Japan as a foreigner?

Nyororin 12-10-2007 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesiredMess (Post 322577)
Do you like it better in Japan or America, and what are some of the biggest culture gaps?

I definitely prefer it here. I feel uncomfortable and strange in the US when I visit.
As for culture "gaps"... That is a pretty difficult question. There are tons of little things.

Quote:

And how are the people over in Japan different from American behavior wise?
People tend to respect other people. Most people don`t abuse their "rights", just because they`re in a position to do so.
Example, in case it`s hard to figure out what I mean;
A crosswalk - In the US, people will (often) cross as slowly as possible, because they have the right of way. If someone hits them, it`s their fault. Who cares if they`re inconveniencing the people waiting! It`s their *right* to take as long as they feel like.
In Japan, most people will hurry across, often even nodding in appreciation to the cars that stopped for them.

There doesn`t seem to be nearly as much "I`m better than everyone else, screw them." crap.

Quote:

The thing is, some people can do this, and some people end up turning into complainers because they just aren`t capable of adjusting. I think that this is far more of a problem now than when I first came to Japan. At the time, there weren`t as many people who wanted to visit/live in Japan. There were a lot fewer urban-legend level impressions floating around. And people usually didn`t form their entire images of the country from anime/manga.

Quote:

How much language should you know before you go to Japan?
This depends a LOT on how old you are and how long you plan on being in Japan.
If you`re young, and are going to be here for a long time, then you can easily get away with not studying much of anything and picking it up here. If you`re in your 30s and are going to be here for 2 weeks, then learn as much as you can ASAP.

Quote:

And what are some good courses to learn it?
Can`t answer this one as I learned here, no courses.