asouatiqah (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to asouatiqah Send a message via Yahoo to asouatiqah
04-22-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroki View Post
GEISHA AREN'T WHORES/HOOKERS/PROSTITUTES

(Geisha's aren't : yujo, oiran or tayu)

Geisha are for entertaining. They are beautiful and sometimes not it depends on the person you ask for.
Geisha are artists and can play nice Shamisen.

so desu ka..arigato ^_^
(#42 (permalink))
Old
EveV (Offline)
Flee from hate.

Send a message via MSN to EveV Send a message via Yahoo to EveV
04-22-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post

Sayuri...? Wasn't it her sister Satsu? Or do you mean like in the end of the book when Sayuri agrees to have sex with... whatever it's the name of the man she's having sex with when she gets caught by the Chairman? Oh well, that's after WWII; most geishas had to become prostitues during the postwards days of 40ies/50ies. But originally, being a gesiah did not imply having to have sex with the clients.
Noo doctor crab near the beginning.
When she's becoming a geisha.

"The sky is cryin...
Can't you see the tears roll down the street?"
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
(#43 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-22-2008, 11:54 PM

Quote:
There are many types of geisha. Some of them sell their body for money, those are called shomben geisha or yujo, also referred to as shirōto (non professional). There's also the odoriko kind, which are the ones specialized in dance, and so on.
Shomben (meaning "piss") geisha, yujo (prostitutes) and shiroto (maids) were not and are not geisha.

There remains some confusion, even within Japan, about the nature of the geisha profession. Geisha are frequently depicted as expensive prostitutes in Western popular culture. Geisha are entertainers, their purpose being to entertain their customer, be it by reciting verse, playing musical instruments, or engaging in light conversation. Geisha engagements may include flirting with men and playful innuendos; however, clients know that nothing more can be expected. In a social style that is uniquely Japanese, men are amused by the illusion of that which is never to be. Geisha do not engage in paid sex with clients.

REF: Henshall, K. G., 1999, A History of Japan, Macmillan Press LTD, London, ISBN 0­333­74940­5, page 61
(#44 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
04-23-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveV View Post
Noo doctor crab near the beginning.
When she's becoming a geisha.
But that's part of the Mizuage ceremony! Every maiko has to go through it if they want to become an actual geisha; that's no act of prostitution o.Ô More like a matter of honor actually, and they don't even get to keep the money they've gotten paid for it; if I'm not wrong, it's either their 'older-sister' (senior geisha mentor) or the okiya they belong to that's given the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM
Shomben (meaning "piss") geisha, yujo (prostitutes) and shiroto (maids) were not and are not geisha.
Whatever. They may not be considered to be 'pure' geishas but they offer a way of entertainment which requires all the same rigid apprenticeship "real" geishas have to go through.

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#45 (permalink))
Old
Kanji_The_Wanderer (Offline)
風林火山

04-23-2008, 01:25 PM

Well I may not have the best knowledge, since I didn't read all these other Geisha books, but I do know that prostitution, or having sex with clients, was not part of a model Geisha's code.

They did that as extra, or if they wanted to be more "popular" with the men. It was against their "laws" to have a love, or fall in love. They were merely entertainers.

Yes, Arthur Golden's book was the only book I read on Geisha, but I did do other research upon completion of the book, since my curiosity was peeked ^^

@Noodle - I will look up this other book.

@ SUKI - Never heard of such a thing, not saying it's not true, but it's surprising.

PS. Mizuage was a ceremony, just because she had sex, doesn't mean she was selling her body. It was so she could become a full-Geisha.
(#46 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-23-2008, 02:49 PM

Quote:

Whatever. They may not be considered to be 'pure' geishas but they offer a way of entertainment which requires all the same rigid apprenticeship "real" geishas have to go through.
There were only pure geisha. If you were a prostitute, then you weren't a geisha. It's like saying "He was kind of a four-star general". Either you were or you weren't.
(#47 (permalink))
Old
EveV (Offline)
Flee from hate.

Send a message via MSN to EveV Send a message via Yahoo to EveV
04-23-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanji_The_Wanderer View Post

PS. Mizuage was a ceremony, just because she had sex, doesn't mean she was selling her body. It was so she could become a full-Geisha.[/color][/b]
>> A ceremony with sex for money involved.
Call it whatever fancy term you like. That was prostitution.

"The sky is cryin...
Can't you see the tears roll down the street?"
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
(#48 (permalink))
Old
xYinniex (Offline)
Quit yo' jibber jabber!

04-23-2008, 09:18 PM

As much as i admire how beautiful a Geisha is, but historically, Geisha's were entertainers AND high class prostitutes.

Both.

"I'm sorry, but i must have given you the impression that I actually care about your opinions"
(#49 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-23-2008, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xYinniex View Post
As much as i admire how beautiful a Geisha is, but historically, Geisha's were entertainers AND high class prostitutes.

Both.
Please read my previous post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
There remains some confusion, even within Japan, about the nature of the geisha profession. Geisha are frequently depicted as expensive prostitutes in Western popular culture. Geisha are entertainers, their purpose being to entertain their customer, be it by reciting verse, playing musical instruments, or engaging in light conversation. Geisha engagements may include flirting with men and playful innuendos; however, clients know that nothing more can be expected. In a social style that is uniquely Japanese, men are amused by the illusion of that which is never to be. Geisha do not engage in paid sex with clients.

REF: Henshall, K. G., 1999, A History of Japan, Macmillan Press LTD, London, ISBN 0­333­74940­5, page 61
(#50 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

04-23-2008, 09:26 PM

I don't know a great deal about Geishas. I've never got the impression that they are prostitutes or prostituting themselves is condoned.