JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#71 (permalink))
Old
LLawliet (Offline)
New to JF

08-23-2008, 11:34 AM

thx...but i think i slightly mislead you (sorry it was 3 AM here, couldn't sleep...definetly shouldn't have been trying to type either, lol)...what i should have said is that as a kid I had these unusual, inexplicable dreams. Now that I've had time to search them through, I know they were possible repressed memories. But nonetheless. it was while studying with my friend (mentioned in my last post) I came across anime and manga. I had already been studying a little. Showing my friend things in my dreams by looking at a few books he had, while my mom helped him cook and get around the house.thx again for wishing me luck.

To those who Loved this World...and knew friendly Company therin...this Reunion is for You.
-FF 7 Advent Childred Dedication

Answer me, if you can
L

If you cried when L died, paste this in your signature

*~13eyond-13irthday~*
(this is my fav lil thing and I found it on http://www.deviantart.com

Last edited by LLawliet : 08-23-2008 at 11:37 AM.
(#72 (permalink))
Old
CarleyGee (Offline)
staring at awkward legs

Send a message via AIM to CarleyGee Send a message via MSN to CarleyGee
08-23-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLawliet View Post
Is it possible to have been led to anime, manga, music....everything by dreams? As young as 4-6, I had dreams. Things my family's pastor dubbed "visions of my future and past." He told my family and I to seek the aide of his friend. As it just so happened, the friend was an elderly man who had spent 20 years in Japan. Till his last days I spoke with him and studied under him. I know like many others that Japan isn't all anime-ish, the Japan of movies...or even the Japan of memories. As much as I wish I could have seen the countryside then; I'm satisfying my hunger by learning the trade of game design with the hopes of working in Japan under the SquareEnix Company.I hope to live out the rest of my life there, and I'm going no matter what anyone says. Hope to see you there!
That's amazing, a really intresting story! Dang, I'm just speechless on what to say. : D Do you remember any of your dreams?

Help my Cause for homeless teens!
http://www.socialvibe.com/CarleyGee

R.I.P Johnny
3-31-09

http://www.formspring.me/CarleyRenee17
Ask me any question
(#73 (permalink))
Old
CarleyGee (Offline)
staring at awkward legs

Send a message via AIM to CarleyGee Send a message via MSN to CarleyGee
08-23-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
As silly as this may sound, when I first started watching Sailor Moon years ago, it didn't hit me that the show was dubbed over from Japan until older.
HAHAHA, same here. I didn't even know what dubbing was, I just was kinda confused when the words didn't match. : D

Help my Cause for homeless teens!
http://www.socialvibe.com/CarleyGee

R.I.P Johnny
3-31-09

http://www.formspring.me/CarleyRenee17
Ask me any question
(#74 (permalink))
Old
Asakura (Offline)
Training like Ryu.......

08-23-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLawliet View Post
Is it possible to have been led to anime, manga, music....everything by dreams? As young as 4-6, I had dreams. Things my family's pastor dubbed "visions of my future and past." He told my family and I to seek the aide of his friend. As it just so happened, the friend was an elderly man who had spent 20 years in Japan. Till his last days I spoke with him and studied under him. I know like many others that Japan isn't all anime-ish, the Japan of movies...or even the Japan of memories. As much as I wish I could have seen the countryside then; I'm satisfying my hunger by learning the trade of game design with the hopes of working in Japan under the SquareEnix Company.I hope to live out the rest of my life there, and I'm going no matter what anyone says. Hope to see you there!

I see how you mean man, when I was 12 I made friends with a Japanese girl, Yakumo Yasuhiko (I forgot how to spell her first name ). And she tought me alot of stuff about Japan. About 3 years ago she had to go back to Japan and we lost contact shortly thereafter. After that I learned all I could about Asian culture. And found that I liked it. I also started Martial Arts, which gave me even more incentive to do what I already loved.

So now goal is to be a great Martial Artist and Teacher! I hope to see you in Japan, Thailand, Korea, China or anywhere else!

Ubi concordia, ibi victoria
(#75 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-24-2008, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelgill View Post
im not really worried on how we view japan but on how japan views native americans....have you seen some of the stuff they put about us in manga and animes?
I find that they have many stereotypes about us, as well. Many Japanese people tend to believe stereotypes from movies. When I lived there I would develope questions to ask everyone I met and tally the results. According the stereotypes, all American's own guns (well, I do) and all they get several stereotypes a bout black Americans from movies, too. As we travel in Japan it is our job to correct those stereotypes with a good example.
(#76 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-24-2008, 05:06 AM

Quote:
im not really worried on how we view japan but on how japan views native americans....have you seen some of the stuff they put about us in manga and animes?
I guess I can understand that concern, but it is also like being worried how Americans view the Ainu people. You can be concerned if you want, but there are probably bigger fish to fry closer to home.
(#77 (permalink))
Old
nijiro (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to nijiro
08-26-2008, 12:16 AM

When I was a kid and first got into anime, I had a very distorted view of Japan.
These days, after all the studying I've done, and talking to people, I've learned better. But it sure is obnoxious to me, in my search for friends who are interested in Japan, that the majority of people who say they are think that it's like anime in real life, or that all Japanese people are mangaka. ><; I guess you can't blame them, because that's all they know, and like I said, I used to be so ignorant too. But it does sort of make us look like ばかな外人.
I have yet to actually go to Japan, though, so I can't really talk about "what Japan is really like" because I don't know yet! ^^;

The greatest lesson of the Japanese: humility.
(#78 (permalink))
Old
gravelgill (Offline)
jf blade dancer

08-26-2008, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I guess I can understand that concern, but it is also like being worried how Americans view the Ainu people. You can be concerned if you want, but there are probably bigger fish to fry closer to home.
i meant cherokee(like me),and other indian races but i agree with some of what is said...maybe when i go to japan ill have a feather in my hair just to see what they say(in a non-racist way)

january 10th,meditation for the day
have you FELT the sun today?
(#79 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-27-2008, 01:26 AM

Quote:
i meant cherokee(like me),and other indian races but i agree with some of what is said...maybe when i go to japan ill have a feather in my hair just to see what they say(in a non-racist way)
They will say, "Hennagaijin."
(#80 (permalink))
Old
MazarDantechildofdevil (Offline)
Hmm?

Send a message via MSN to MazarDantechildofdevil
08-27-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
I see a long, rambling post by a lapsed regular using a new member's thread in an effort to both reassert perceived dominance and denigrate said new member. In doing so, looking both desperate and foolish.

Am I getting close?
You'd be right if only you'd known I did this when I was a member full-fledged, you fail.