LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

06-01-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
No. No questions about it. Nor would I die to save my children.
Yes I`m a terrible and cold person - please don`t feel the need to point it out.
We aren't judging you. If you're a cold and terrible person, so am I. I wouldn't die for my parents. Perhaps my kids, but not my parents.

Quote:
No, that isn`t what I meant. My logic is that you can make another child while you cannot make another grandparent or parent. That combined with the likely reflex of simply not wanting to see someone be killed in front of me while I just stood there.
That's a fair point. So, there are more than one logical choice that leans either way. Thanks for pointing that out, I'll make sure to think about that.

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Jok3r (Offline)
New to JF

06-01-2009, 06:46 PM

Why not save both of them instead of wasting time thinking how to save just the one?
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

06-01-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jok3r View Post
Why not save both of them instead of wasting time thinking how to save just the one?
And waste more time trying to save both?

(#14 (permalink))
Old
Kenpachi11 (Offline)
高校生

06-01-2009, 06:48 PM

If you save one then you would have guilt from not saving the other...right?

From the sky, To the ground
Rain is falling all around
Thunder rain and wind
A song of storms begins

Play a song, A melody
Then everybody will see
The hero of time
Has come
(#15 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-01-2009, 06:49 PM

I have a feeling no one can say with any certainty what they would do or wouldn't do unless the situation was presented in front of them in real time and in real life.

We like to think we can separate ourselves from our moral fibers, and it's easy to say what we would do on paper, but you really can't know for sure until after it has happened.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Jok3r (Offline)
New to JF

06-01-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvanas View Post

And waste more time trying to save both?
As long as you tried your best, i guess its the thought that counts...
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

06-01-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I have a feeling no one can say with any certainty what they would do or wouldn't do unless the situation was presented in front of them in real time and in real life.

We like to think we can separate ourselves from our moral fibers, and it's easy to say what we would do on paper, but you really can't know for sure until after it has happened.
Ofcourse. But many things in life, we still like to discuss it.

Quote:
As long as you tried your best, i guess its the thought that counts...
If you can't achieve saving someone, there's no point in trying. In my view.

(#18 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-01-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvanas View Post

We aren't judging you. If you're a cold and terrible person, so am I. I wouldn't die for my parents. Perhaps my kids, but not my parents.
Well, in my case I`d be more likely to die for a random person on the street than my parents, but I am guessing that is irrelevant. Even if my parents were the most loving and wonderful people - I still wouldn`t sacrifice my own life for them. There simply isn`t enough merit in it for me even if it were my child. Die knowing they`d live on? Even if I love them to death, it wouldn`t matter as I would be dead.

Quote:
That's a fair point. So, there are more than one logical choice that leans either way. Thanks for pointing that out, I'll make sure to think about that.
I think that in such a situation, or a similar one in real life - reflex would rule all. The chance you`re going to weigh logic against emotion is very very low.
At least I can say I`m pretty sure that is the case for me. If I could reach out and save someone, reflex is going to likely push me to do so - regardless of the effect that person`s survival will have on others and the future.

ETA;
Then again - now with a bit of thought - in such a situation I figure I`d be calm enough to think it out. I`ve done the "self or child" bit, and had no hesitation about choosing myself over child... And felt pretty devoid of emotion at the time.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.

Last edited by Nyororin : 06-01-2009 at 06:54 PM.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
GodNickSatan (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to GodNickSatan Send a message via Yahoo to GodNickSatan
06-01-2009, 06:58 PM

I kinda like it when a lot of people die.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

06-01-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Well, in my case I`d be more likely to die for a random person on the street than my parents, but I am guessing that is irrelevant. Even if my parents were the most loving and wonderful people - I still wouldn`t sacrifice my own life for them. There simply isn`t enough merit in it for me even if it were my child. Die knowing they`d live on? Even if I love them to death, it wouldn`t matter as I would be dead.
You see, my view on this one is that my parents have always told me "If you ever died, we would kill ourselves. Because we live for you". Now, regardless if that's true or not, that's a different matter. But, if I kill myself saving them, then they'll just kill themselves anyways, and I'd have died in vain.

Quote:
I think that in such a situation, or a similar one in real life - reflex would rule all. The chance you`re going to weigh logic against emotion is very very low.
At least I can say I`m pretty sure that is the case for me. If I could reach out and save someone, reflex is going to likely push me to do so - regardless of the effect that person`s survival will have on others and the future.

ETA;
Then again - now with a bit of thought - in such a situation I figure I`d be calm enough to think it out. I`ve done the "self or child" bit, and had no hesitation about choosing myself over child... And felt pretty devoid of emotion at the time.
I've had an experience where I had to make a decision, a life taking/saving one, and it's unbelievable how time seems to slow down at that point, causing you to be able to think it through.

If someone's ever been on the edge of dieing before, they'd (most probably) understand what I mean. Time seems to slow down.