JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   japanese legends (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/25622-japanese-legends.html)

nobora 06-02-2009 03:58 AM

japanese legends

Do the japanese have Urban legends/myths?And if so could you please post some up.I borrowed a book (childrens book) with some but havent found many.

Quailboy 06-02-2009 04:02 AM

*giggles at the idea of a japanese big foot*

alanX 06-02-2009 04:05 AM

Hi Nobora! Long time no see. :ywave: Great idea for a thread, by the way.

I'm not sure if it's one of the most famous ones or not, but my favorite Japanese urban legend has always been "Kuchisake Onna" (口裂け女)

I'm not a good story-teller, so I'll let wikipedia do it.
Kuchisake-onna - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Another one I know is pretty cute to me, even though It's a scary one.
Taken from the Japan times:

"Toire no Hanako-san"

A young girl raises her hand in class. She has to use the facilities.

As she walks down the hallway and enters the bathroom, she becomes uncomfortably aware that she is completely alone.

But an eerie feeling steals over her as she walks by the empty stalls -- one, two, three. As she walks, she gets the feeling that she is no longer alone, and there is a presence with her in the bathroom.

As she passes the fourth stall, she sees a gleaming pair of eyes staring back at her.

This is Hanako-san.

Found in every elementary school in Japan, Hanako-san, or more formally, "Toire no Hanako-san," inhabits the fourth stall of the girl's bathroom.

And the same page has a few more if you care to look:
Have you heard the one about . . ? | The Japan Times Online

Quailboy 06-02-2009 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanX (Post 727086)

I'm not sure if it's one of the most famous ones or not, but my favorite Japanese urban legend has always been "Kuchisake Onna" (口裂け女)

"Toire no Hanako-san"

As she walks down the hallway and enters the bathroom, she becomes uncomfortably aware that she is completely alone.

But an eerie feeling steals over her as she walks by the empty stalls -- one, two, three. As she walks, she gets the feeling that she is no longer alone, and there is a presence with her in the bathroom.

As she passes the fourth stall, she sees a gleaming pair of eyes staring back at her.

This is Hanako-san.

Found in every elementary school in Japan, Hanako-san, or more formally, "Toire no Hanako-san," inhabits the fourth stall of the girl's bathroom.

xD The second one is horrible haha

nobora 06-02-2009 11:31 PM

@Alan
Thank you for the stories I liked them.
Whats A Hannako ?
I read it in the link but didnt understand

AzulieAngel 11-11-2009 12:27 PM

wow…

Quote:

"Toire no Hanako-san"
This is Hanako-san.

Those stories are just down right creepy!!! Japanese urban legends are creepy!:pinkcry: :crykitty: :coldbear: I mean with the chance some could of really happened!

nobora 11-29-2009 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzulieAngel (Post 782205)
Those stories are just down right creepy!!! Japanese urban legends are creepy!:pinkcry: :crykitty: :coldbear: I mean with the chance some could of really happened!

LOL thats why i love them so much because their not predictable their so creepy and mysterious. Like for me Ive read Mexican and AMerican legends for years now so iknow wats going to happen next. I got tired of them and decided to start lookin for some japanese legends(if they got good anime why not ghost right). And waala i found scary stories! LOL:pompoms:

AzulieAngel 11-29-2009 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nobora (Post 785636)
LOL thats why i love them so much because their not predictable their so creepy and mysterious. Like for me Ive read Mexican and AMerican legends for years now so iknow wats going to happen next. I got tired of them and decided to start lookin for some japanese legends(if they got good anime why not ghost right). And waala i found scary stories! LOL:pompoms:

I know a lot of american ghost stories and a few from a couple of other countries. I love urban legends so learning somemore is alway's fun to do!:pinkbow:
[

Allene7 11-29-2009 06:21 AM

Quote:

"Toire no Hanako-san"

This is Hanako-san.

That first one's pretty creepy. I'm not sure why but the second one doesn't seem very creepy to me but I'm sure if I saw some gleaming eyes in the bathroom I'd get creeped out. Although it does kind of remind me of the western Bloody Mary legend (we did that one a lot when I was a kid in the bathroom at school or during slumber parties) and also a little bit of Harry Potter because of Moaning Myrtle occupying the bathroom stall, lol.

nobora 12-01-2009 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzulieAngel (Post 785640)
I know a lot of american ghost stories and a few from a couple of other countries. I love urban legends so learning somemore is alway's fun to do!:pinkbow:
[

Yup Yup please post the ones that you know:)