(#111 (permalink))
Old
YukisUke (Offline)
Konichiwa, bitches

Send a message via AIM to YukisUke Send a message via Yahoo to YukisUke
07-20-2009, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aether View Post
I've seen a lot of debate about what it is to bully in this thread, so to preface my post, I would like to quickly define what I see bullying as. I would broadly define bullying as verbally and/or physically abusing an other or others repeatedly to exhibit dominance with the stipulation that the context should be kept in mind. For example, I would not consider two friends who have a habit of playfully punching each other on the shoulder bullies (in ordinary circumstances), but I would consider a person who frequently calls others names and fights people who they know will not fight back a bully.

With that definition established, I can thankfully say that I have not experienced being a bully or being bullied. However, I do recognize the seriousness of the matter. I realize that being bullied can push a person beyond their limits and cause them to retaliate back or even commit suicide. As such, I've have made a vow with myself that if I see someone being bullied, I will do what I can to assist that person.

Regrettably, I do not know any strong methods to stop bullying itself if I were to encounter it. If there are some ideas of how to stop another or oneself from being bullied, I would be glad to hear it. (Besides ignore it, I see that as one of the worst possible ideas.)
Being a victim of bullying myself, I can give you this bit of info of how I felt: angry, hurt, depressed and weak. I gave them the power in a way. But it wasn't fully my fault. When you go to an elementary school where the teachers and staff don't really give a damn about what the kids do to each other, you're kind of on your own. . Long story short, I felt like shit and I have depression because of it and sometimes when I think about what I could've done to stop it, I get very upset and go into these crying spells. It's not just the emotion taking over, it's also the past too.
(#112 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
07-20-2009, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukisUke View Post
Being a victim of bullying myself, I can give you this bit of info of how I felt: angry, hurt, depressed and weak. I gave them the power in a way. But it wasn't fully my fault. When you go to an elementary school where the teachers and staff don't really give a damn about what the kids do to each other, you're kind of on your own. . Long story short, I felt like shit and I have depression because of it and sometimes when I think about what I could've done to stop it, I get very upset and go into these crying spells. It's not just the emotion taking over, it's also the past too.
Worst necropost of all time.

I was mean to kids in elementary school. (lol) People were mean to me as well. It's how a child's brain works. Then they become mature, and move on with their lives.

猿も木から落ちる
(#113 (permalink))
Old
YukisUke (Offline)
Konichiwa, bitches

Send a message via AIM to YukisUke Send a message via Yahoo to YukisUke
07-20-2009, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanX View Post
Worst necropost of all time.

I was mean to kids in elementary school. (lol) People were mean to me as well. It's how a child's brain works. Then they become mature, and move on with their lives.
Don't get me wrong, I have moved on. I just tend to think about it sometimes.
(#114 (permalink))
Old
Bugg333 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to Bugg333 Send a message via Yahoo to Bugg333
07-20-2009, 07:37 AM

I encountered a massive amount of bullying in middle school. I overcame it in a somewhat unhealthy way. I employed every "lone wolf" attribute to daily life. I developed a "watch your back 24/7" mentality, avoided becoming too attached with anybody under any means necessary. I also chose to hang out alone.. always. Even when some mutual friends of mine hung out where i did eventually, i hung out elsewhere because lunch time was my time to be away from the masses. I also studied buddhism extensively and meditated once a day for a time. I chose not to enjoy anything mainstream either. All i listened to was traditional music from china and japan, along with underground hip hop and the like. Back then, I chose not to even look at the myspace website until the end of 8th grade, when it wasn't as necessary anymore.
It seemed very good and awesome for me at the time. once i got all that going, i seemed to have been oblivious to the bullying. I became immune. No one messed with me and when they did, it did nothing. When i was friendly and vulnerable, i was a running deer- waiting to be eaten. But after i employed the "lone wolf" tactics, I became a tree. A predator will not result in eating a tree unless it is starving, and believe me- the kids at school had plenty of kids to bother. All of MY friends in fact. But i chose not to involve myself. All attempts to pants me in PE failed because i was constantly watching my surroundings, etc. You get the picture.
But as i came into high school, i was ridiculed by some teachers for these traits, and the kids were nicer, so watching my back went to waste. I was able to maintain my happiness without meditation, and there was no use for avoiding people anymore, so here i am, nearing the end of high school and i'm not looking back. I scrounged my way out of my days of being bullied. Unfortunately, i don't know how your supposed to go about dealing with it because it isn't an issue for me anymore... >.> I certainly learned alot from it all though.
(#115 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

07-20-2009, 10:12 AM

Well, it's been NEcro'd, might aswell add my own opinion.

I was bullied from since nursery till the end of year 11 (Beginning of High School) But not once, did I cry, or get depressed. I've had kids shove my heads down toilets, deliberately chuck stones at me, and even one tried to tie me to a their car and drag me along. But I persevered thought it, and never let me change who I was. I fought back against it, and it's made me who I am today.

I have little sympathy for children who sit down and cry for being called names and shit like that.

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -
(#116 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-20-2009, 05:50 PM

Sometimes I wonder if bullies bully certain people because they are jelous of those particular people?
(#117 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

07-20-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvanas View Post

I was bullied from since nursery till the end of year 11 (Beginning of High School) But not once, did I cry, or get depressed. I've had kids shove my heads down toilets, deliberately chuck stones at me, and even one tried to tie me to a their car and drag me along.

Wow, man. That's quite an arse-whooping.

That's a little over the line. And props for persevering through this kind of suffering.

猿も木から落ちる
(#118 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

07-20-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanX View Post
Wow, man. That's quite an arse-whooping.

That's a little over the line. And props for persevering through this kind of suffering.
Thanks mate. It's not something I say, because I dislike it when people look at me with sympathy. But I thought I'd put my 2 cents into the thread.

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -
(#119 (permalink))
Old
NanteNa (Offline)
sixth gun.

Send a message via Skype™ to NanteNa
07-20-2009, 07:53 PM

There's a difference between bullying and putting people in their place. A BIG difference.

Bullying is obviously wrong - while putting people in their place or giving them a slight reality check can be doing them a favor.

[ <-- Jordan's heart! \(Ò_ó)/ ]
Follow me on TUMBLR
"Well if a chick has a problem with the way I conduct myself I'd draw the bitch
a map to the nearest exit and stamp "fuck off" on her forehead."
- Pot Roast
(#120 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

07-20-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanteNa View Post
There's a difference between bullying and putting people in their place. A BIG difference.

Bullying is obviously wrong - while putting people in their place or giving them a slight reality check can be doing them a favor.
Agreed.

猿も木から落ちる