JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   Eyelids? (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/27467-eyelids.html)

Allene7 08-31-2009 07:23 PM

Eyelids?

My husbands best friend is from Taiwan and he always complains about how his mom makes him do "eye exercises" to try and make his eyes more open looking. Apparently his mom even complains if they're watching a movie and one of the actors doesn't have eyes that are wide enough and so then she says she doesn't like that actor/actress because of their eyes. His dad also just recently got a surgery done to get a fold in his eyelids. I had seen a documentary a few years ago about a girl who used to use double sided tape on her eyelids to give them that fold. The documentary didn't really explain much aside from the girl saying that she hated her eyes and felt ugly and never wanted to be seen without the tape on her eyes, and how all her other friends do it too.

So my question is, what exactly happened that caused eyelids/eyes to be such a big deal? What caused this feeling of needing a fold to be pretty and having wide eyes to look good? Also, when did this start? At what point in history and why exactly is it still such a big deal? Is it more of an older generation thing? My husbands friend doesn't really seem to care about eyes at all and finds his mom rather annoying. I think that people can be just as beautiful without folds on their eyelids as they can be with them. Same goes for small eyes vs. big eyes. I just don't see anything ugly about it.

I'm just curious to understand so if I've said anything offensive or made any kind of unwarranted generalizations, I'm very sorry.

kMal 08-31-2009 07:43 PM

I think it's absolutely shameful to hear such a thing.
I think it's a matter of personal preference, but you should not change the way your eyes look. Why would you want to do that? To hide the fact that they are Asian or something? I find the "common" Asian appearance extremely beautiful and attractive. I also have almond shaped eyes. And I'm glad I do, but if I didn't have almond shaped eyes, it would not have bothered me. It's just the way we are.

Like I said: shameful and disrespectful to nature.

Allene7 08-31-2009 07:59 PM

I also find Asians to be beautiful. I love the way their eyes look, whether they're small, wide, without a fold, or with a fold. I think it's very sad that having almond shaped eyes can be such a negative thing to some people and I just don't understand what brought this way of thinking about and what's causing it to continue for some.

Miyavifan 08-31-2009 09:56 PM

I don't understand it. However they are, fold or no fold, etc. It's all beautiful to me.

JayT 08-31-2009 11:52 PM

I wish my eyes were bigger >__>

darksyndrem 08-31-2009 11:58 PM

I like my eyes....but my hair.....is ridiculous >_<

Kandierain15 09-01-2009 12:06 AM

Imo, i think that you should accept how you look.Learn to love your body and attributes for what they are.

darksyndrem 09-01-2009 01:29 AM

What are these folds you're talking about anyhow???

Miyavifan 09-01-2009 01:34 AM

eyelid creases

darksyndrem 09-01-2009 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miyavifan (Post 766856)
eyelid creases

Wow great synonym...what are these creases your talking about?