(#11 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
01-26-2010, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTakeshi View Post
I don't quite see the reason for the "laughing". As well as i don't quite see the reason to question the racionality of the parents in relation to the names of the children.

I would laugh as much about someone called "Planet" as i would if he was called "Bubacar imbalo", an African name. Or "Peter", a Greek name.

Edit: Ain't "Akane" a Japanese name? Doesnt it mean "deep red"?
It does not. Yes, there is another WORD that means deep red that sounds the same... But it`s not the name, is written differently, and is used with that meaning FAR less than the sound "Akane" is used for a name.

Names follow a set pattern. There are words/sound patterns that are accepted and commonly used as names. And then there are those which are not.
If someone had a name that meant "heavenly body" somewhere, or at some point in it`s history but which was currently a name or accepted as one (such as Autumn, etc) that is fine.

Tentai does NOT follow that pattern. It`s not a name, and would never mean anything other that "Heavenly-Body" or "Astronomical" to anyone who heard it said.
It was asked whether Tentai is a Japanese first name. It is not, and would elicit the same reaction as a 100% American being named "Heavenly-Body" (Exactly that, not something that means that in another country or that had that meaning in the past, etc) in America.
I wouldn`t actually LAUGH at them, but I would judge whether they had been given the name by their parents (and feel a little bad for them) or whether they had changed their own name to that (and find it hard to take them seriously in most cases.)

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

01-26-2010, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
It does not. Yes, there is another WORD that means deep red that sounds the same... But it`s not the name, is written differently, and is used with that meaning FAR less than the sound "Akane" is used for a name.

Names follow a set pattern. There are words/sound patterns that are accepted and commonly used as names. And then there are those which are not.
If someone had a name that meant "heavenly body" somewhere, or at some point in it`s history but which was currently a name or accepted as one (such as Autumn, etc) that is fine.

Tentai does NOT follow that pattern. It`s not a name, and would never mean anything other that "Heavenly-Body" or "Astronomical" to anyone who heard it said.
It was asked whether Tentai is a Japanese first name. It is not, and would elicit the same reaction as a 100% American being named "Heavenly-Body" (Exactly that, not something that means that in another country or that had that meaning in the past, etc) in America.
I wouldn`t actually LAUGH at them, but I would judge whether they had been given the name by their parents (and feel a little bad for them) or whether they had changed their own name to that (and find it hard to take them seriously in most cases.)
Why does names have to follow a set pattern?

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
xyzone (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-26-2010, 01:04 AM

Listen, if a kid can be named "Apple" by an actress, you can name them whatever you want. If you really want to be a scamp name them アップル and really send everyone reeling.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

01-26-2010, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Why does names have to follow a set pattern?
They don`t have to - but to deny that they do would be lying to yourself.
You`re completely welcome to name your children anything you like - no matter how far it veers from the typical "name". But do not be upset if your child is bullied, if people think less of them or you for that name, or if it reduces your child`s opportunities in life.
If I were looking for a doctor, I`d be much more likely to choose a "Linda Smith" over an "Astronomical Smith". I`d rather have a lawyer named "William Jones" than one named "Heavenly-Body Jones". Your name has a lot to do with how you are perceived - a "non-name" name may not receive a positive response. If you feel that your child should just deal with the name and it`s repercussions... Well, good luck with that. But I have yet to meet a single person with a very strange name who was actually happy about it.

(#15 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

01-26-2010, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
They don`t have to - but to deny that they do would be lying to yourself.
You`re completely welcome to name your children anything you like - no matter how far it veers from the typical "name". But do not be upset if your child is bullied, if people think less of them or you for that name, or if it reduces your child`s opportunities in life.
If I were looking for a doctor, I`d be much more likely to choose a "Linda Smith" over an "Astronomical Smith". I`d rather have a lawyer named "William Jones" than one named "Heavenly-Body Jones". Your name has a lot to do with how you are perceived - a "non-name" name may not receive a positive response. If you feel that your child should just deal with the name and it`s repercussions... Well, good luck with that. But I have yet to meet a single person with a very strange name who was actually happy about it.
So your pretty much saying that if i name my son "Astronomical" or "Heavenly-body" he might get social reprisals for carrying a "non-name" name?

I dont see why "Astronomical Smith" wouldn't fit as a doctor's name.
I mean,individually, it would not change his capacities to perform his duties.

But within the society, generalizing, it might even cost him future opportunities.

How trivial society is (generalizing) to doom one by its name instead by its skills.

Edit: I guess you already know where this is going. (I assume)
If not, i can go straight to the point. But i dont want to go off-topic.

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.

Last edited by JasonTakeshi : 01-26-2010 at 01:44 AM.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-26-2010, 01:55 AM

Quote:
So your pretty much saying that if i name my son "Astronomical" or "Heavenly-body" he might get social reprisals for carrying a "non-name" name?

I dont see why "Astronomical Smith" wouldn't fit as a doctor's name.
I mean,individually, it would not change his capacities to perform his duties.

But within the society, generalizing, it might even cost him future opportunities.

How trivial society is (generalizing) to doom one by its name instead by its skills.

Edit: I guess you already know where this is going. (I assume)
If not, i can go straight to the point. But i dont want to go off-topic.
If you named your sone Astronomical he will pay for it for sure. Not he might get social reprisals...he WILL get social reprisals.

It absolutely will cost him future opportunities unless he changes it himself. You might as well dress him in girl's clothes from the day he is born.

It is not society being trivial...and you can pretend to be "better" than society by saying you don't paint a picture in your head of what someone is like by their name...but this is part of how society remains society.

Please feel free to go straight to the point.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

01-26-2010, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
If you named your sone Astronomical he will pay for it for sure. Not he might get social reprisals...he WILL get social reprisals.

It absolutely will cost him future opportunities unless he changes it himself. You might as well dress him in girl's clothes from the day he is born.

It is not society being trivial...and you can pretend to be "better" than society by saying you don't paint a picture in your head of what someone is like by their name...but this is part of how society remains society.
Please feel free to go straight to the point.
Im not better, but more tolerant.

And thats how i would like society to become one day. (Dont we all?)

I wounder if that same "Astronomical" would find the cure for cancer.

"GUY NAMED ASTRONOMICAL FINDS THE CURE FOR CANCER!"

I bet that in memory of his death, people would name their children "Astronomical".
And many years after, "Astronomical" would be a common name. The opposite of what is now.

But oh well... No Astronomical did anything fenomenal yet.

Btw, my name means Bean Farmer in Latin. Nice to meet you.

Last edited by JasonTakeshi : 01-26-2010 at 02:39 AM.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

01-26-2010, 07:39 AM

Then why not start by changing your own name to one very "non-name"? You say it means bean farmer in Latin - but I`d say that Latin isn`t exactly a language in popular use. Why not change your name to "Beanfarmer" (or the equivalent in your local language)? It would be a very interesting experiment in gauging the true reactions of society to a non-name.

Society WILL react in a way you do not want it to if you give your child a very abnormal name. Creativity is fine, you don`t have to name your children the most popular names of the year... But "Astronomical" or "HeavenlyBody" are definitely far beyond the line of mere creativity.

Someone brought up "Apple" as a name... That is fairly inane, and is not all that far from "Peach" and "Cherry" which are accepted commonly as names. And yet - the name Apple is memorable. Why? Because it is a non-name. The effect will be MUCH worse with something like "Astronomical".

(#19 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-26-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Im not better, but more tolerant.

And thats how i would like society to become one day. (Dont we all?)

I wounder if that same "Astronomical" would find the cure for cancer.

"GUY NAMED ASTRONOMICAL FINDS THE CURE FOR CANCER!"

I bet that in memory of his death, people would name their children "Astronomical".
And many years after, "Astronomical" would be a common name. The opposite of what is now.

But oh well... No Astronomical did anything fenomenal yet.

Btw, my name means Bean Farmer in Latin. Nice to meet you.
It is easy to say you are tolerant about something that doesn't exist.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

01-26-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
It is easy to say you are tolerant about something that doesn't exist.
I'm tolerant about many worst things.

I would definitely tolerate someone called "Astronomical".

@Nyororin:

That's why i'm saying society needs to be more tolerant.

An individual name does not change the individual capacities. Yet, it changes his opportunities. (regarding this imaginary case)

Note: Obviously i didn't say he wouldn't get social reprisals. Thats actually what i pointed out. And thats the motive for this "manifestation".

Last edited by JasonTakeshi : 01-26-2010 at 09:05 PM.