JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

New book published by Prime Minister Kan's wife - 07-27-2010, 12:28 PM

Kan's wife criticizes him in new book

I am amazed at the timing of the release of this book.

What is its real purpose?
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Japania (Offline)
New to JF

08-03-2010, 09:24 PM

I’m interested in Japanese Psychology (the way they see life, face problems, the prevalence of anxiety and depression…). Could anyone recommend a book to me about it?
(#23 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

The real Tenko. - 11-30-2010, 08:53 PM

I am reading a book called: the REAL TENKO" by Mark Felton.

Its pretty gory-- and upsetting the way the Japanese soldiers treated civilians. and hospitals and wounded. doctors and nurses being shot or bayoneted and raped. Apparently it was soon after the rape of NANKING-- so the soldiers carried on behaving as they had in CHINA.

It is shocking.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-01-2010, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japania View Post
I’m interested in Japanese Psychology (the way they see life, face problems, the prevalence of anxiety and depression…). Could anyone recommend a book to me about it?
I have a couple of recommendations.

Communicative Styles of Japanese and Americans (Barnlund)
Even if you're not American it will still shed plenty of light on Japanese

Japanese Cultural Encounters (Kataoka)
Read the reviews on Amazon. I think they will give you an idea of what this is about. I'll try to explain it anyways. It's basically a "choose your own adventure" style book. You'll have paragraph describing a situation... then you'll have four answers each providing an explanation or a way to deal with it. If you have done a decent amount of studying on Japanese culture a lot of the stuff may seem obvious with a couple of shockers here or there. At any rate, at the end of each answer there is a page number written. If you go to that page it will tell you if your answer is correct or not and give a short explanation on why. It's a very interactive book and a really good approach, but you could probably read it in a day. I recommend reading it in conjunction with some other books so you can suplement some of the info in it with some longer and more general concepts. I think it will sink in better that way.

Both of these books might not go into great detail about what you want to know. They might brush over it a bit though (I'm thinking specifically of the anxiety and depression part). They'll certainly provide you with some great general information which could assist you in getting a lot closer to understand what it is you're looking for though.

Dogsbody, that sounds like an interesting read. You might be interested in a book titled "Confession of a Mask" (Kamen no Kokuhaku) by Yukio Mishima. I think it's a more abstract look at the era through a character who struggls to fit in.
Confessions of a Mask - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I think the wikipedia article gives a nice preview of it, if not going slightly too much into detail.

I'd like to check out the REAL TENKO though. It sounds really interesting.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Barone1551 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-01-2010, 06:14 AM

As a huge fan of baseball in both Japan and the US, I would suggest the book Gotta have Wa. It is a very interesting read. Japanese baseball reflects Japanese culture in almost every way.

The King wore a crown. Now he is the king of kings.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

12-02-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
I am reading a book called: the REAL TENKO" by Mark Felton.

Its pretty gory-- and upsetting the way the Japanese soldiers treated civilians. and hospitals and wounded. doctors and nurses being shot or bayoneted and raped. Apparently it was soon after the rape of NANKING-- so the soldiers carried on behaving as they had in CHINA.

It is shocking.

This book really should be read for anyone wanting to know how low some human beings can go-----------Japanese people should know what their soldiers did to so many women. Appalling. ALso shows the courage of many of those women. How easy it seems to be that human beings turn into bestial cruel sadistic beasts.