JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-09-2010, 10:23 PM

I agree with the idea that it doesn't force culture, but it influences culture onto other countries. I think it introduces new things to people and kind of changes their diets.

As far as McDonalds trying to blend in goes, at least in Japan the architecture is not too different than America (except maybe up until recently... like half a year ago in my area, they had smoking areas). I'd say that in Japans case, they try to blend McDonalds' menu with 'Japanese' things. There are certain things on the menu that are only in Japan. I don't eat there, so I don't really know. However, I do remember the distinct smell of the American McDonalds-- the Japanese McDonalds has a different smell. The smell of fast food is almost like a brand name-- each place has its signature smell. That's all chemistry and food science junk.

Another thing that might happen (but again I have no idea) is the introduction of Coca-cola. Even if the country already has coke, McDonalds might make it more popular. I think Coke owns some other fast food companies as well, so having a McDonalds might be testing the market out for other fast food operations. Pepsi, being a rival might want to take some of that market away by opening their places as well.

Those types of places might cause the already established fast food places to try to compete with them by changing their own approach. Who knows... I wonder if there is any data on this kind of thing. I also wonder if there is any corrolation between McDonalds (or other fast food places) in areas and obesity and certain diseases and stuff like that.

Going back to Japan- did you know that it is almost traditional to order KFC chicken on Christmas? How's that for changing a culture?
(#12 (permalink))
Old
x2cool (Offline)
LawBringerSR2

Send a message via AIM to x2cool
09-09-2010, 10:30 PM

You know I never knew that. How did it become traditional to order KFC for Christmas? Is it cause people are too lazy too cook their own chicken?
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

09-09-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2cool View Post
I'm not saying new influences is a bad thing, just that they may lead to some things being forgotten. And I think McDonald's does have political power, I mean doesn't money kind of translate into political power? And if they were able to get a McDonald's in Tiananmen Square, don't you think McDonald's can put their stuff wherever they want?
I wasn't saying that you were. I was just implying that it's probably a good thing. I personally doubt McDonald's has enough influence alone to effectively control a people's culture. If we were talking about fast-food franchises in general, then that would probably be a different story.

I agree, McDonald's has some* political influence in the form of money, but not of official standing, and definitely not enough to which it can act on it's own, free of international procedures. But, then again, I'm not the most educated on these things, this is just my opinion.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

09-09-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven View Post
As far as McDonalds trying to blend in goes, at least in Japan the architecture is not too different than America (except maybe up until recently... like half a year ago in my area, they had smoking areas). I'd say that in Japans case, they try to blend McDonalds' menu with 'Japanese' things. There are certain things on the menu that are only in Japan. I don't eat there, so I don't really know. However, I do remember the distinct smell of the American McDonalds-- the Japanese McDonalds has a different smell. The smell of fast food is almost like a brand name-- each place has its signature smell.
That reminds me of one difference that caught my attention when eating at a McDonald's there: their Kid's Meal toys. Instead of a single figurine or card, like what you would usually get in the U.S., they included what seemed like a 4-section toy car rail set, including the car. And we ordered and received two of them that day. Of course, it was still cheaply produced, but the packet was bigger than the bag for the meal.

I'm not sure if that's how they usually pack their toys, I only ate McDonald's there once. I thought it would be fun to mention. lol
(#15 (permalink))
Old
x2cool (Offline)
LawBringerSR2

09-09-2010, 10:57 PM

Yeah thats another thing, I know there are differences in McDonald's depending on where they are. I'm interested in knowing what some of these are. I have never been to any other countries beside Mexico, and the only difference from the one I went to there and the one's here that I noticed is that the McDonald's in Mexico tastes better.... I think.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-09-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying new influences is a bad thing, just that they may lead to some things being forgotten. And I think McDonald's does have political power, I mean doesn't money kind of translate into political power? And if they were able to get a McDonald's in Tiananmen Square, don't you think McDonald's can put their stuff wherever they want?
There are hundreds of McDonald's restaurants, and believe me, no one has forgotten anything.

Quote:
You know I never knew that. How did it become traditional to order KFC for Christmas? Is it cause people are too lazy too cook their own chicken?
Think it though. Japan is not a Christian nation, so there was no Christmas tradition. KFC Japan, rather ingeniously, "created" the tradition all on its own.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
x2cool (Offline)
LawBringerSR2

09-09-2010, 11:20 PM

KFC created the tradition... that does make sense. I'm sure there are other examples of that but I can't think of any. Either way though, doesn't the fact that they can create these traditions and that they do these things, doesn't it in a way make it sound like they do "force' these things on others as long as those people choose to accept them?
(#18 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-09-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
KFC created the tradition... that does make sense. I'm sure there are other examples of that but I can't think of any. Either way though, doesn't the fact that they can create these traditions and that they do these things, doesn't it in a way make it sound like they do "force' these things on others as long as those people choose to accept them?
Valentine's Day cards were invented by the greeting card companies.

It's only "force" if people DO NOT choose to accept them.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-10-2010, 12:02 AM

What MMM is saying is definitely true-- it all comes down to whether or not people choose to buy into a product or tradition like the ones mentioned.

In the case of these big fast food companies, though, they use their money to promote their products through a lot of advertising. It becomes a cultural thing once people start buying into it-- I don't know how it came to be this way, but McDonalds is like the place to go after school. You'd think it'd be fine dining if you heard the way kids around here talk about the place.

Although things are changing-- I think wireless internet in Japan was less common than America for a while. So you get places like McDonalds offering Wi-fi services for free, companies like Nintendo get in on it and put a sign up that says something to the effect of "DS compatable" or whatever and they attract more of that younger crowd to their stores. It's no accident... places like that always try to attract younger people. I think that's why you'll see them around schools. I think if you can get younger people, then you can affect culture. Talking about happy meals brings back memories of when I used to eat McDonalds (it's been over 10 years now). I remember getting toys from different cartoons or movies or whatever. I think that would be a way to help promote American movies or TV shows in foreign countries. I don't know if they do it, but if they play certain music in there, then that helps sell the music (or at least the culture to which the music is connected). If you look at a place like starbucks you'll notice they have CDs for sale and stuff like that.

I think that kind of thing will change the culture of a country. For starters, inviting people to play DS while they frequent your restaraunt might be pushing it for some cultures. It's like eating while playing video games, basically. Your parents might tell you it's wrong, but when you're out in the real world and places are basically inviting you to do it, it's gonna change your outlook on things like that. When those kids grow up, they're could pass that on to their kids. So at the very least certain table manners might dissapear as a result of things like that.

About the promotion of music and movies and what-not, that could take some of the market away from whatever domestic products exist. I think music and movies are very much involved with creating a culture.

I think this is a really cool topic by the way. Your teacher is on to something-- we'll probably see this stuff come up more often in the next 10 years. I think the "McDonalds model" (in quotes because similar strategies could be used by any company I think) will have been around long enough to allow for closer examination on its effects.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
x2cool (Offline)
LawBringerSR2

09-10-2010, 12:17 AM

My professor said that there was a study where some sociologists sat in some McDonald's in China and observed how people acted near a McDonald's compared to as away from it, and also how they acted when they were in it. I'm writing an essay about this topic for my English class, but my professor says I have to narrow it down more. And I of course also think it's interesting, although a little confusing at times...