JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
Nippom (Offline)
regular

10-12-2011, 02:46 AM

Gaijin? What gaijin? (reaches up to my blue eyes and pulls back outside corners of my eyelids).^^
(#32 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-13-2011, 12:05 AM

poor taste for a joke, even I can see that and I'm one of the more argumentative people around here.
(#33 (permalink))
Old
Nippom (Offline)
regular

10-13-2011, 03:49 AM

^
Unless you have J-relatives.
No offense intended.
My mixed Japanese-American nephews and nieces grew up with a cute little sing-song.
One of them would put his or her fingertips to the outside corners of the eyelids, and pull them back and up, then straight back, then let go, and chant enthusiastically at the same time, "Chinese, Japanese, American!" with an innocent smile.

Last edited by Nippom : 10-24-2011 at 01:35 AM.
(#34 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)

10-13-2011, 10:43 PM

Ah, ok then. Context is key true enough. I have Japanese relatives through marriage as well. Though they are more distant..and I don't just mean I live in Iowa and they in Japan. More like 2 cd cousins once removed or something, it get's confuseing.
(#35 (permalink))
Old
glowsilver (Offline)
New to JF

10-16-2011, 10:59 AM

On the subject of countries besides Japan banning foreigners from certain places, when living in the Benidorm area of Spain I knew of a few clubs/bars that would informally (ie. they'd deny it if asked by the local authorities) ban British tourists or ask them to leave if they came in. Benidorm is known as a "party town" and while perhaps not as raucous as Ibiza etc. it does attract some badly behaved types. I left almost seven years ago though so it's possible the area has changed a lot since I was there. For one thing there's the financial crisis and people can't afford to go on holiday any more
(#36 (permalink))
Old
tazzy (Offline)
JF Regular

10-17-2011, 11:02 AM

In the Netherlands already I know of a place in Amsterdam that banned Anglo tourists.
(#37 (permalink))
Old
Heka41 (Offline)
New to JF

10-17-2011, 08:24 PM

everyone is welcome in America, except Americans

私の心を凍結
私の魂を凍結
私の愛を凍結
(#38 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-17-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippom View Post
^
Unless you have J-relatives.
No offense intended.
My mixed Japanese-American nephews and nieces grew up with a cute little sing-song.
One of them would put his or her fingertips to the outside corners of the eyelids, and pull them back and up, then straight back, then let go, and chant enthusiastically at the same time, "Chinese, Japanese, American!" with an innocent smile.

To see one of them, please go here;
Mixed race children.
They'll attach J to anything these days. That doesn't make it right just because some kids did it.
(#39 (permalink))
Old
Nippom (Offline)
regular

10-18-2011, 02:00 AM

^My Japanese friends and relatives -born and raised in Japan- do it all the time.
For example;
Japanese vids - J-dramas
Korean vids - K-dramas
Taiwanese vids - T-dramas
Chinese vids - C-dramas

It is in universal use throughout respectable Asian online communities and is not intended to be -nor is it- disrespectful or racist.
It is just an abbreviation for convenience sake.
It has absolutely no bearing on the PC 'politically correct' movement one way or the other.

Last edited by Nippom : 10-19-2011 at 05:06 AM.
(#40 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)

10-18-2011, 02:32 AM

I believe the bars excludeing English is primarily due to the hooligans that Britian is notorious for.

Heh, yea the joke about everyone being welcome to America but Americans is sad but true..particularly on a lot of college campuses. Pollitically correct thought police roam all over