JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   10th anniversary of 9/11 (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/general-discussion/39630-10th-anniversary-9-11-a.html)

dogsbody70 09-09-2011 12:47 PM

10th anniversary of 9/11

We have had many programmes here in UK about the 9/11 attack.

I wonder how Americans feel about it.

JohnBraden 09-09-2011 01:15 PM

I see things with a different point of view. I don't know anyone who died in that despicable act, so I have no personal attachment. I can understand what this date means to this country, but I, myself, feel it's a little overkill. What happened is a tragedy, but let's move on and get over it.

Just as an observation, twice as many people have been killed in the wars following this than in the actual attacks.

DragonNL 09-09-2011 03:18 PM

We also got many docu's about it. I agree with John, it's a shame it happened but also I don't feel anything anymore for that date.

The people in the Middle East have daily 9/11's.

GoNative 09-09-2011 11:12 PM

It's certainly more than just an American anniversary though. The World Trade Centres were as the name suggests centres of trade with many multinational companies having their New York office in one of the buildings. There were people from all over the globe who died in the attacks including 24 from Japan.

astrogaijin 09-09-2011 11:53 PM

I agree with John. My school had a mandatory memorial service this morning around the flag pole. I'm a senior and I was in 2nd grade when it happened and I can only remember where I was. There is very little chance that anyone younger than me would remember anything, so it was very overkill.

dogsbody70 09-10-2011 12:29 PM

Mmmm-- so many things have changed since 9/11/ Invading Iraq-- afghanistan etc etc.

Personally I believe these things should not be forgotten. It literally changed the world with Bush's war on terror.

It affected many families. those brave firemen who lost their lives and all the families bereft. It was out of the blue.

I still wonder about the conspiracy theories-- seeing the way that second building collapsed just as they do in demolition practice.

after all wasn't it the Japanese attack on pearl harbour that set off the American involvement in the Pacific War?

I have been seeing some old films of the atrocities of that time-- It is sick making.

NO we should never forget these sort of things at all. Cause and Effect.

dogsbody70 09-10-2011 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by astrogaijin (Post 879215)
I agree with John. My school had a mandatory memorial service this morning around the flag pole. I'm a senior and I was in 2nd grade when it happened and I can only remember where I was. There is very little chance that anyone younger than me would remember anything, so it was very overkill.

It would not be overkill if you had lost family and loved ones.

DragonNL 09-10-2011 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogsbody70 (Post 879292)
It would not be overkill if you had lost family and loved ones.

If I had lost someone in a attack, I wouldn't want to remember such a terrible day..

astrogaijin 09-10-2011 05:19 PM

It's overkill because yes it was a terrible day and many people died. But there are many days in history and even in modern times that were worse and noone is taking time to honor them. What about all the people killed by Hitler, Stalin and Mao? I believe that their crimes are much worse and many more people were killed but as far as I know, there is no day of remembrance for any of those victims.

It's fine if you mention it for a moment of silence but having a huge ceremony is going a bit too far.

peterv20 09-10-2011 05:42 PM

just like the kennedy killings,the're many unanswered questions that remain a mystery.:confused:

Sinestra 09-10-2011 06:18 PM

It somber moment for a lot of people especially New Yorkers but i can understand how some will be detached from the event itself if they did not personally loose someone. Its still possible to be very in touch with the sorrow of the day and yet not be emotionally attached to it. I myself lost 2 friends on the towers and almost lost my uncle in Washington he works for the Pentagon so im more emotionally attached. Honestly, my only wish is that the people who died wont be forgotten and that the whole world realizes that this kind of killing happens every day in some countries.

DragonNL 09-10-2011 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by astrogaijin (Post 879310)
I believe that their crimes are much worse and many more people were killed but as far as I know, there is no day of remembrance for any of those victims.

Actually in Holland there is, and not just in 1 city. Every year on 4 may The whole country is silent for 2 minutes. Commemorating the dead of WW2 among other things.

I'm not sure if I like it though.

kolululover 09-10-2011 07:51 PM

So yeah guy, let's just forget this whole thing like everyone says, forget about security and have more planes crash???

NO

How heartless are you guys? So many people died and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't call it "overkill" if someone you knew or family died in one of those planes or buildings!
People like you piss me off the most

sutekidane 09-10-2011 09:32 PM

Ron Paul Predicted 9/11 - YouTube
Ron Paul - Rudy Giuliani Blowback Debate - YouTube
Guess who is the fool and clue less here, the clapping audience supporting Giuliani or Ron Paul?

GoNative 09-10-2011 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterv20 (Post 879312)
just like the kennedy killings,the're many unanswered questions that remain a mystery.:confused:

Bullshit. Of course if you're the type who gives credience to unsubstantiated conspiracy theories then you'll pretty much believe anything won't you? Concepts like facts, logic and proof mean little in the world of the conspiracy theorist.

DragonNL 09-10-2011 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sutekidane (Post 879331)
Ron Paul Predicted 9/11 - YouTube
Ron Paul - Rudy Giuliani Blowback Debate - YouTube
Guess who is the fool and clue less here, the clapping audience supporting Giuliani or Ron Paul?

Wow, I didn't know about Ron Paul. But he is a wise man!
If the American goverment wasn't focused so much on getting everything their way then maybe it wouldn't have happened..

sutekidane 09-10-2011 11:54 PM

Yes, Ron Paul is definitely spot on about GWOT (Global War on Terror) and most foreign policy issues. But he has drawbacks, his policy of isolationism on foreign affairs, Randian (Ayn Rand) libertarian-ism and anti-tax small govt. policy I do not support. He is honest but mistaken on many issues in my opinion.

If you want to understand 9/11, Islamic extremism, then you have to go back to the break up of two former empires, Ottoman after World War I and British Indian partition after World War II. Ottoman fell apart after Arab revolt with instigation from the British (Lawrence of Arabia), but instead of giving Arabs their independence, the British and French divided up the whole region into small states with their secret Sykes Picot agreement and gave permission to Jewish immigrants to settle down in Palestine with Balfour Declaration. Discovery of oil was another big incentive to keep this area under control. After British and French colonial empires lost their colonial possessions in World War II, USA became the predominant power and it started playing imperial games pretty much all over the globe, including the middle-east oil rich areas, backing up dictators and kingdoms. Soviets did the same, in the name of international communism. Nothing happens in a vacuum, only the clueless, who go to work, come home, open their budweiser and sit in front of TV to watch NASCAR or the next football (American) or basketball game and then suddenly things blow up on their face get angry and then this anger and fear is then used by other people:
About Neocons, Radical Islamists and role of religion in politics:
Power Of Nightmares 1of6 - YouTube
Power Of Nightmares 2of6 - YouTube
Power Of Nightmares 3of6 - YouTube
Power Of Nightmares 4of6 - YouTube
Power Of Nightmares 5of6 - YouTube
Power Of Nightmares 6of6 - YouTube

Once China and India gains predominance in economics and technology, they will play the same imperial games like others have played before, the British, the French, Germany, Japan, Soviet Union and USA - it is human nature, power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Only way to counter power is by equal and opposite power, to bring a balance. Failure will mean for the rest of the world to become vassal states of these two large states.

Nyororin 09-11-2011 03:08 PM

Far removed from the US, I had totally forgotten about the anniversary until I saw this post...

And I realized... We had the exact same thing for dinner 10 years ago.

dogsbody70 09-11-2011 04:27 PM

I think it is sad to want to forget these sort of things. Here in UK we have Remembrance day every November 11th.

It is very important indeed.

History is important-- we need to try to learn from history and be grateful to those who gave up their lives for ours.

I grew up during world war two and no way do I wish to forget. Forgetting is an insult to all those who died.

I am still researching the pacific war-- I had been too ignorant about it.

can we learn lessons from the mistakes of the past?

Its so easy to be glib-- it is also heartless.

we have been watching the services from ZERO ONE where the names of each lost person was spoken aloud. The same thing happened in London. No doubt those who lost loved ones in 9/11 elsewhere will also have wished to commemorate the memory of their loved ones who were lost.

Those brave firemen who tried to rescue those trapped in that inferno-- many of those died.

dogsbody70 09-11-2011 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonNL (Post 879324)
Actually in Holland there is, and not just in 1 city. Every year on 4 may The whole country is silent for 2 minutes. Commemorating the dead of WW2 among other things.

I'm not sure if I like it though.

tough if you don't like it. Many Dutchmen were POWs in Japan. They were thought of very highly by other prisoners.

why are you so reluctant to face up to Remembering.

History of the Netherlands (1939–1945) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...9%E2%80%931945)

Nameless 09-11-2011 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kolululover (Post 879327)
How heartless are you guys?

Too heartless.

But that is why I will restrain myself from saying more than the following:
It is ok if you want to remember X event, but if it causes more pain to you and doesn't encourage you to be better at Y, why would you do it?

JohnBraden 09-11-2011 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogsbody70 (Post 879406)
I think it is sad to want to forget these sort of things. Here in UK we have Remembrance day every November 11th.

Yes, we have that day here as well. It is Veterans Day, though many wouldn't really know why it's on that day. Perhaps if it were called Armistice Day here, then some people would know. We also have Memorial Day and now it seems 9/11 Day is going to be commemorated every year as well.

Quote:

History is important-- we need to try to learn from history and be grateful to those who gave up their lives for ours.
Just because I feel it is a little overkill with all the memorials and commemorations doesn't mean I feel we should totally forget about it. I just felt all the attention may have been a bit too much....
Quote:

I grew up during world war two and no way do I wish to forget. Forgetting is an insult to all those who died.

I am still researching the pacific war-- I had been too ignorant about it.

can we learn lessons from the mistakes of the past?

Its so easy to be glib-- it is also heartless.
It's not about forgetting, but it's also not harping about it either.

Quote:

we have been watching the services from ZERO ONE where the names of each lost person was spoken aloud. The same thing happened in London. No doubt those who lost loved ones in 9/11 elsewhere will also have wished to commemorate the memory of their loved ones who were lost.

Those brave firemen who tried to rescue those trapped in that inferno-- many of those died.
I respect the comments people make about this and of course I honor those who died that day and in the ten years following that day. I was just expressing my opinions on how I feel about the 10 year anniversary as was the intended topic of this thread, not about what happened that day....

MMM 09-11-2011 05:27 PM

Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it.

Umihito 09-11-2011 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 879411)
Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it.

But with the airline industries, I'd say that it's impossible to be forgotten. When regulations are put in place with airlines, they're pretty much staying. Even if people were to start forgetting history and this event, I'm sure the Civil Aviation Authority won't...

Umihito 09-11-2011 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kolululover (Post 879327)
So yeah guy, let's just forget this whole thing like everyone says, forget about security and have more planes crash???

NO

How heartless are you guys? So many people died and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't call it "overkill" if someone you knew or family died in one of those planes or buildings!
People like you piss me off the most

As harsh as it may sound though, the fact is that most of us on this thread indeed do not know anyone involved, so we can't really play the 'what if' game.

Like I said in the last post, the Civil Aviation Authority won't forget the crash, that just won't happen. The average Joe forgetting about it won't change whether or not it happens again really.

Don't be pissed off at us. Americans have the right to their own opinions right, even if you don't agree? Sure you may not like it, but making it public that you don't like it and that it pisses you off is a little annoying. Your post was perfectly fine until you used that last sentence. :/

DragonNL 09-11-2011 11:19 PM

Quote:

What experience and history teach is this -- that people and governments never have learned anything from history, or acted on principles.
- George Wilhelm Hegel

Quote:

Poetry is nearer to vital truth than history.
- Plato

Quote:

Poetry is finer and more philosophical than history; for poetry expresses the universal, and history only the particular.
- Aristotle

dogsbody70 09-12-2011 11:35 AM

I guess this goes to show how selfish the human being can be-- "if its not in my back yard-- I don't care a damn."

Lets pretend it never happened.Be like the proverbial ostrich.

If we lose compassion what are we?

give me animals any day compared to many humans.

RobinMask 09-12-2011 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogsbody70 (Post 879456)
I guess this goes to show how selfish the human being can be-- "if its not in my back yard-- I don't care a damn."

Personally I think it's more about balance than anything else . . .

At the risk of repeating what's been said . . . what happened was awful, and we shouldn't forget, and the stories told are devestating and thought-provoking indeed, but at the same time do we really need to be constantly reminded of such a tragedy?

WW1 and 2 for example were horrific, more so than 9/11, and no one has or ever will forget those events . . . but it's not on television every single day, in the newspapers every other week, it's not rammed down our throats until we're so desensitised to it that instead of sympathising all we think is 'not this again'. All I've heard for ten years is 9/11 and about terrorists, and this past weekend no matter what I did or where I went it was constantly there being shoved at me.

I guess what I'm saying is that it's good to remember, but at the same time isn't it also bad to - not just remember - but obssess about those events? The media really needs to balance things out, because whilst the events are awful I think this level of coverage is demoralising and desensitising people to what happened.

Umihito 09-12-2011 12:21 PM

I can see what you're saying RobinMask, and I don't see anything wrong with it. I feel the same in all honesty.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogsbody70 (Post 879456)

If we lose compassion what are we?

give me animals any day compared to many humans.

But if we did this for every single bad thing that happened in the world, then we'd never have time to live. If we have to spend a day remembering 9/11, then we have to spend a day remembering the holocaust, then another day remembering the Chinese earthquake, then another remembering the 2004 Asian tsunami, then another remembering Pearl Harbour... you get the idea.

So when facing this, it's impossible to remember everything every year with complete compassion and mourning.

DragonNL 09-12-2011 12:45 PM

I agree with RobinMask and Umihito. Their last posts explain exactly how I feel. Sure it's important to know history but it's just annoying to be remembered about it so much. If we start commemorating every bad thing that happenend we start living in the past. And that's certainly not a good thing..

Oh, by the way. You don't need history at all to stay compassionate. History and compassion are two totally different things.

kolululover 09-12-2011 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umihito (Post 879418)
As harsh as it may sound though, the fact is that most of us on this thread indeed do not know anyone involved, so we can't really play the 'what if' game.

Like I said in the last post, the Civil Aviation Authority won't forget the crash, that just won't happen. The average Joe forgetting about it won't change whether or not it happens again really.

Don't be pissed off at us. Americans have the right to their own opinions right, even if you don't agree? Sure you may not like it, but making it public that you don't like it and that it pisses you off is a little annoying. Your post was perfectly fine until you used that last sentence. :/

For the record, I don't know anyone involved either bit I still feel sympathy!

dogsbody70 09-12-2011 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobinMask (Post 879457)
Personally I think it's more about balance than anything else . . .

At the risk of repeating what's been said . . . what happened was awful, and we shouldn't forget, and the stories told are devestating and thought-provoking indeed, but at the same time do we really need to be constantly reminded of such a tragedy?

WW1 and 2 for example were horrific, more so than 9/11, and no one has or ever will forget those events . . . but it's not on television every single day, in the newspapers every other week, it's not rammed down our throats until we're so desensitised to it that instead of sympathising all we think is 'not this again'. All I've heard for ten years is 9/11 and about terrorists, and this past weekend no matter what I did or where I went it was constantly there being shoved at me.

I guess what I'm saying is that it's good to remember, but at the same time isn't it also bad to - not just remember - but obssess about those events? The media really needs to balance things out, because whilst the events are awful I think this level of coverage is demoralising and desensitising people to what happened.

quite honestly surely it is because it is the tenth anniversary of 9/11 that there has been a lot on the MEDIA.

I doubt that there will be much more until another anniversary.

Its not obsessive to be reminded once in ten years. Also-- those who do not want to watch or be reminded-- do not have to watch-- do they?

I get fed up with too much celebrity mania--------- One can always use the OFF switch after all.

I hate all the publicity of what is happening in IRAQ, LIBYA, Afghanistan etc.

So I do not watch. I was anti us getting involved in these countries-- joined the March before Britain joined in with BUSH-- Blair like a sycophant hanging on to Bush's coat,. we were told there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. We should not have invaded Iraq at that time.

I hate the way we get involved with other countries as we do.

I hate the way we join with UN attacking Libya. Its criminal how so many civilians get killed or injured.

why do we get involved so much?

dogsbody70 09-12-2011 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonNL (Post 879460)
I agree with RobinMask and Umihito. Their last posts explain exactly how I feel. Sure it's important to know history but it's just annoying to be remembered about it so much. If we start commemorating every bad thing that happenend we start living in the past. And that's certainly not a good thing..

Oh, by the way. You don't need history at all to stay compassionate. History and compassion are two totally different things.

shame it is so annoying Dragon-- my heart bleeds for you NOT!

RobinMask 09-12-2011 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogsbody70 (Post 879481)
quite honestly surely it is because it is the tenth anniversary of 9/11 that there has been a lot on the MEDIA.

I doubt that there will be much more until another anniversary.

Its not obsessive to be reminded once in ten years. Also-- those who do not want to watch or be reminded-- do not have to watch-- do they?

I get fed up with too much celebrity mania--------- One can always use the OFF switch after all.

It isn't quite that simple though . . . I mean if you log onto yahoo search it's on their homepage, if you walk past a newstand in town it'll be on the front page, if you go into a bar it'll be on the news in the corner . . . it's easy-ish to avoid it at home, but unless one lives in a shell it's hard to avoid it forever. The only way to avoid it is to avoid radio, web, television, conversation, newspapers . . . at the risk of sounding sarcastic one would literally have to be living like a monk to not hear it. There isn't much choice in the matter.

It's not just the annerversary either . . . remember the movies that came out? Then the books, then the documentaries, then the conspiracy theories that plague second-rate cable channels twenty-four seven . . . then the upped security, then the leaflets and questions and terrorist attacks that followed . . . it's always there intruding on our lives.

To me that's obssessive.

It's also detremental. If people are plagued by things to such an extent they'll lose the ability to sympathise as it becomes a nuissance, and they'll become desentised to the violence so that the next time something happens it's a 'so what', no different to someone watching that many horror films that the gore is no longer shocking. These things are tragedies, but there's also the fact that if we keep reliving them we do nothing but live in fear and demoralise ourselves. Can we really - as a society - live and prosper if we live in fear of the next attack, or constantly mourn those we lost? We need to look forward sometimes, not forever backward.

Your last few points are interesting, but I fear by responding to questions about involvements in other nations I might be going off-topic somewhat, plus I'm not really sure what to say in response . . . hopefully other members can respond though, I'll be interested in what they have to say.

Umihito 09-12-2011 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kolululover (Post 879473)
For the record, I don't know anyone involved either bit I still feel sympathy!

Well that's great... but does that means we deserve being pissed of at because we're moving on?

I'm not saying we don't feel sympathy. I think what we mean is that we just don't make a huge deal out of it like we did when it recently happened. It was 10 years ago, and to many people (especially people not in the US) it's just like an old wound. It's still there, but it's no longer bleeding... if that makes sense ^^;

Ryzorian 09-12-2011 09:00 PM

Look people, Americans celebrate losses as much as victories. Alamo, Little Big Horn, Pearl Harbor, BunkerHill. We memorialize everything, this whole country is dedicated to War, we are a modern day Sparta.

Arlington Cemetary explains the USA.

ACGalaga 09-14-2011 03:12 AM

Came into this late, but here's a bit of my peanut wisdom:

In Japan, there's a huge gathering for peace every year on August 6th at the Hiroshima Peace Memorial, the anniversary of the bombing. Bad thing? I don't think so. So why not have a day of remembrance for 9/11?

Seriously, whenever I watch a movie filmed in NYC pre-aughts it's always a little shocking to see those towers still sanding there, only to be reminded of them falling down.

However, with the anniversary of 9/11 comes a slew of anti-muslim propaganda and protesters, and that is something I don't like about the anniversary.

MMM 09-14-2011 06:27 AM

I don't understand how anyone could argue against a moment of silence and remembering on 9/11. Should we not be reminded of the days the bombs were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki? She we not be reminded of Pearl Harbor, V-E Day, or any other number of significant events in modern history?

It amazes me that most if not all of you are old enough to remember 9/11, but think that looking back and remembering is somehow not "moving on".

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryzorian (Post 879502)
Look people, Americans celebrate losses as much as victories. Alamo, Little Big Horn, Pearl Harbor, BunkerHill. We memorialize everything, this whole country is dedicated to War, we are a modern day Sparta.

Arlington Cemetary explains the USA.

Is this exclusive to Americans? I don't think so.

DragonNL 09-14-2011 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 879679)
Should we not be reminded of the days the bombs were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki? She we not be reminded of Pearl Harbor, V-E Day, or any other number of significant events in modern history?

In my opinion, no we should not. It isn't important or anything to commemorate it. If anything it comforts people. But that's all.
Everybody is free to do what he wants, as always. But for me, feeling that negative energy once is more than enough. I don't need all those events pushed down my throat every year to remember what happend.

GoNative 09-14-2011 09:22 AM

But it's not pushed down your throat every year. You choose whether or not to participate or watch programs about it. And if it comforts some people I really don't see that as a problem. The only issue I have with some of these rememberance events is that they can be hijacked a little by nationalists and other extremists. But on the whole I see nothing wrong with remembering those who have lost their lives in events that have had major impacts on a nation. I would be suprised for instance if Japan doesn't have some memorial events on the anniversary of the earthquake.