JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
BakaBabo (Offline)
New to JF

Red face How do you make friends in Japan? - 03-24-2008, 02:45 AM

When I go to Japan what are some ways I could meet people and make friends? I am not even good at doing that in my current location lol.

きつと変わる事はないよ
(#2 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
03-24-2008, 02:46 AM

I feel your pain there. I'm the same way. Maybe you could make a topic for those in Japan on this board in that Friends section (or whatever). You could also go to a site and get an online penpal and maybe meet up with said friend after you go to Japan.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
aikochan86 (Offline)
JF Regular

03-24-2008, 05:28 AM

I hope I can make friends when I visit Japan too, it can be hard if you can't spend a few weeks getting to know them I think.

I made a good friend a few months ago though. We met and just 'clicked' but she had to leave 3 days later!! We ended up staying penpals and now she has come to live in my city for a while with her boyfriend.

This has taught me that friendships can come from anywhere and if it's meant to be then you can make it work! So have faith and I hope that you make some friends. ^_^
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Tturtle (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-27-2008, 03:44 PM

i have an idea: i have heard that gift giving is common in japan. when you give a small gift of thanks to someone attach a business card to it with your email address. also, try speaking japanese. i was in france and the instant i tried asking locals tourist type questions in french instead of in english they warmed up to me - especially the shop keepers. they seemed shocked that i even bothered
(#5 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
03-27-2008, 03:56 PM

get really drunk at karaoke and stumble into the wrong booth - i have made quite a few friends from that method
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Nemhy (Offline)
Dungeon Crawler

Send a message via AIM to Nemhy Send a message via MSN to Nemhy
03-27-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachava View Post
get really drunk at karaoke and stumble into the wrong booth - i have made quite a few friends from that method
LMAO!!! You just made my day with that one XD
(#7 (permalink))
Old
billysweird (Offline)
JF Regular

03-28-2008, 02:51 PM

yeh alcohol was definitly a friend maker for me last time i went even though it was only for a month. You will be surprised at how many japanese people can speak english when they are pissed. I remember i ended up becoming friends with some cop and then told him i was underage and he told me i was an adult LOL it was fun as (only just turned 17 at the time). Also me and my m8 stumbled into some business bar party HAHAHA they shouted us free drinks all night took photo's with us and bought us presents the next day ^.^ then took us surfing like a few days after..ah god good times. Then in kyoto when looking for accomidation we got a room and the owner of the joint showed up and took us out for dinner and karaoke then the next day took us to some giant copper bhuda...lol its not hard to make friends if you just go up and ask if they speak english and start a converstation with them thats usually enough
(#8 (permalink))
Old
BakaBabo (Offline)
New to JF

okay... but.. - 03-29-2008, 12:49 AM

I am not drinking, no alcohol for me, so any other ideas???

きつと変わる事はないよ
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

03-29-2008, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaBabo View Post
When I go to Japan what are some ways I could meet people and make friends? I am not even good at doing that in my current location lol.
How you make friends in Japan should basically be the same as in your own country, dontcha think? Keep an open attitude. Don't be too selective at an early stage.

I think the easiest way (and the most natural way) to make friends is to find people who share an interest with you. What are your interests? Hobbies? Do tell me and I'll tell you where to find some people with those interests in Japan (at least in Tokyo).

Finally, how much Japanese do you know? I ask this because you can't just stand on the corner and expect Japanese people to somehow strike a conversation with you in your language. You may have to say hello first, and do so smilingly. If you're nervous, that will make the other person nervous, too. So relax and enjoy our country.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Cyasarin (Offline)
Surfer.Chic [no cold! =D]

Send a message via MSN to Cyasarin Send a message via Yahoo to Cyasarin
03-29-2008, 03:44 AM

Like some people already stated, knowing Japanese might help...So yeah, that covers the 1st part of my ways.
But usually what I do is naturally strike up a conversation with someone. I'll be waiting in the line at the fair and it'll be slow-moving or cold or something and all I have to do is make a comment and someone will turn around and comment me back. This one chick is just chilling in line to get on this ride and she goes "Hey, I love your hoodie." And we talked until the line moved up and seperated us.
Compliments seem to work nicely like that. But if you want friends, don't just compliment someone...maybe ask them where/how they got whatever or tell them why you like whatever it is you complimented them for.
What you might could do is [might be a little bad, but that's how me and my 2nd best friend met] listen in on a conversation between a small group of people and if it's interesting, comment them or ask them a question. I was talking to my best best friend about my fanfictions when my 2nd comes up behind me [no idea who she is right then] and asks, "Do you like anime?" And now we're like super close.
And it might be a little smart to impress people, too. If you want friends, dress up and present yourself in a nice way. My friends and I have no problem with average people, but when some really hot chick or awesome looking guy walks by with a nice presentation [nice clean clothes, nice smile and character, etc.], we're like, "I bet they would be a cool person to chill with."

+ Summer '08 +
[[cause it's gonna be hot]]