JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
mimosalilas (Offline)
New to JF

any idea for live music? - 07-10-2008, 11:18 PM

Hi,
Apparently you guys know where to party in Tokyo.
I'll be in Japan for few months next year and i'm really in live music, not huge concerts, but more like little scenes in bars. Do you know any place like that?
Thanks xxx
(#12 (permalink))
Old
sydneyswans (Offline)
New to JF

Wink more clarity - 07-11-2008, 12:52 AM

Thanks for the responses

Cool electro may be a broad reference - i'll sharpen up and be clearer

- a dj based club (where the music is first)
- happy with satoshi tomii, armin, tiesto, carl cox, dimitri, tenaglia, van dyk, Ken Ishii, Tsuyoshi Suzuki (a.k.a. Numanoid), Disco Twins, Ko Kimura, and Yoji Biomehanika.
- trance, house, electro, or electro disco is good. Rock / pop / top 40 is out.
- even happy with a fair slice of cheese - so electro disco works as well
- im looking for the club scene that is not fuelled by alcohol or too much by other things. Drink hard / 'party hard' places are out
- where the music and dancing is the important thing
- that attracts locals and not lots of tourists. Just dont want to feel like
- a mixed crowd is always good
- where some people dress up a bit - you could be in jeans and t shirt or dressed up
- thats not sleasy

Womb, Ageha and Air sounded alright. Ive checked em out on wikkipedia

the more opinions the better
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

07-11-2008, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneyswans View Post
Thanks for the responses

Cool electro may be a broad reference - i'll sharpen up and be clearer

- a dj based club (where the music is first)
- happy with satoshi tomii, armin, tiesto, carl cox, dimitri, tenaglia, van dyk, Ken Ishii, Tsuyoshi Suzuki (a.k.a. Numanoid), Disco Twins, Ko Kimura, and Yoji Biomehanika.
- trance, house, electro, or electro disco is good. Rock / pop / top 40 is out.
- even happy with a fair slice of cheese - so electro disco works as well
- im looking for the club scene that is not fuelled by alcohol or too much by other things. Drink hard / 'party hard' places are out
- where the music and dancing is the important thing
- that attracts locals and not lots of tourists. Just dont want to feel like
- a mixed crowd is always good
- where some people dress up a bit - you could be in jeans and t shirt or dressed up
- thats not sleasy

Womb, Ageha and Air sounded alright. Ive checked em out on wikkipedia

the more opinions the better
Techno also, or is that out? I pretty much only went to club Atom for trance (except some other events).

Edit: I heard from a friend in Tokyo that Atom is now hip-hop. Go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosalilas View Post
Hi,
Apparently you guys know where to party in Tokyo.
I'll be in Japan for few months next year and i'm really in live music, not huge concerts, but more like little scenes in bars. Do you know any place like that?
Thanks xxx
Well, what kind of music? There are a lot of "livehouses" over there, which surely will please you.

If you're into Jazz, i remember this one place. I think it was called "Intelligent Jazz club (or bar)" near Jinbocho. I was there only once, but it was pretty cool. It did cost some, not amazingly much but some, and the bar wasn't too cheap. But damn nice jazz

なんでやねん!

Last edited by Henbaka : 07-11-2008 at 07:45 AM.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
odonata (Offline)
Roboto

07-11-2008, 10:57 AM

Atom's top floor is hip-hop with a large number of gaijin (read Americans).

Best bet is to look at metropolice website for listings as the Tokyo scene is always changing.
Here is the LINK...
Listings

And a quick selection for this week.

Club Asia
Massive. Electro, techno: DJs Numanoid, Yoshimasa, etc. From 11pm, ¥3,000 w/1d. Shibuya. Tel: 03-5458-2551. club asia

Club Why Not?
The Break, Ladies Night. Hip-hop, R&B, reggae. From 7pm, men ¥1,500 w/2d, women free. Yokohama. Tel: 045-663-2955. www.clubwhynot.com

La Fabrique
Vanity. Electro, rock: DJs Narc, Cash, etc. From 11:30m, ¥3,000 w/1d. Shibuya. Tel: 03-5428-5100. LA FABRIQUE

Matrix
Matrix Friday. Old school hip-hop, west side, south side, all mix: DJ BeatSniper and more. From 6pm, ¥1,000 (after 11:30pm). Roppongi. Tel: 03-3405-1066. MATRIX BAR ROPPONGI(

Nuts
Rhythmatism. Hip-hop: DJs Hasebe, Yoshikazu, etc. From 10pm, ¥2,500 w/1d. Shibuya. Tel: 03-5466-8814. www.clubnuts.net/i&ez

Amrax
Pimp. Techno, electro: DJs Uiroh, Reki, etc. From 5:30am, ¥2,000. Shibuya. Tel: 03-3486-6861. www.amrax.jp

Super Roboto Jutsu Powah - Dynamic Servo Death Crush *NeeP*
(#15 (permalink))
Old
sydneyswans (Offline)
New to JF

respect - 07-13-2008, 11:56 PM

henbaka ... like your sense of humour ..... i was a little over the top with describing what was out

odonata - thanks heaps for the tips .. Shibuya sounds interesting .... most of ther clubs mentioned have websites which i can follow up on
(#16 (permalink))
Old
mimosalilas (Offline)
New to JF

Wink 07-16-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henbaka View Post

Well, what kind of music? There are a lot of "livehouses" over there, which surely will please you.

If you're into Jazz, i remember this one place. I think it was called "Intelligent Jazz club (or bar)" near Jinbocho. I was there only once, but it was pretty cool. It did cost some, not amazingly much but some, and the bar wasn't too cheap. But damn nice jazz
Thank you for your advice; i do like jazz, especially live. I ll definitively go at this place
Do you know any place where you have rock, funk music? And also in other cities toward Japan, as i ll move a bit everywhere?

Thanksxxx