LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-16-2008, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonvon View Post
Ah thanks! Will hit Akiba on the 20th. (: Heard that local cosplayers hang there during the weekend.. Hope to catch a glimpse of them. Haha

Anyone familiar with Kabukicho? Wanted to visit a host club there too. but i heard that it's hard to get into one without a J-speaking friend to bring u into it.
I would avoid Kabukicho. It isn't really designed for foreigners, and the prices are astronomical. Unless you are a lonely soapland employee with no boyfriend, there is nothing to be gained by going to a host club.

You'd be much better off renting a movie by the title of "The Great Happiness Space"

Here's the description:

This compelling film explores the rarely seen world of Japanese host boys, men who are paid to entertain wealthy women in exclusive nightclubs. Almost but not quite gigolos, more akin to male geishas, the host boys of Café Rakkyo share their secrets with director Jake Clennell in his first documentary. The narrative focuses on Issei, Osaka's top host boy, but all the characters in this unique subculture are fascinating.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

07-16-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I would avoid Kabukicho. It isn't really designed for foreigners, and the prices are astronomical. Unless you are a lonely soapland employee with no boyfriend, there is nothing to be gained by going to a host club.

You'd be much better off renting a movie by the title of "The Great Happiness Space"

Here's the description:

This compelling film explores the rarely seen world of Japanese host boys, men who are paid to entertain wealthy women in exclusive nightclubs. Almost but not quite gigolos, more akin to male geishas, the host boys of Café Rakkyo share their secrets with director Jake Clennell in his first documentary. The narrative focuses on Issei, Osaka's top host boy, but all the characters in this unique subculture are fascinating.

They had a TV show that talks about the amount of money these male hostess get paid to "entertain" the rich ladies, its funny, there are no sex involved for the most part, but these wealthy women pay to have a hot guy talking to them.. and some of these women are HOT TOO...

Agree, Kabukicho is not meant for foreigners. While I do speak Japanese and I am oriental, they were able to "spot" me as a foreigner when I wander off on my own. When I regroup with my friends, one of them being Italian, we were already followed Yakuza till we are OUT of the area....
(#13 (permalink))
Old
vonvon (Offline)
New to JF

07-16-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
They had a TV show that talks about the amount of money these male hostess get paid to "entertain" the rich ladies, its funny, there are no sex involved for the most part, but these wealthy women pay to have a hot guy talking to them.. and some of these women are HOT TOO...

Agree, Kabukicho is not meant for foreigners. While I do speak Japanese and I am oriental, they were able to "spot" me as a foreigner when I wander off on my own. When I regroup with my friends, one of them being Italian, we were already followed Yakuza till we are OUT of the area....
It's that bad? Goodness. So are they like anti-non Jap people?
(#14 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

07-17-2008, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonvon View Post
It's that bad? Goodness. So are they like anti-non Jap people?
Hmm, I don't have much to contribute to that topic, but the Yakuza (Japanese Mafia) inherited the great samurai spirit from the Edo period, most of this "spirit" were part of a driving force behind the crowd that was unsupportive toward the open policy and were quite against the entry of Perry's ship, so I guess MOST of this behavior/attitude was just something they decide to follow, more than any real dislike against anyone non Japanese