JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Tripsis (Offline)
New to JF

06-01-2010, 03:21 AM

I'm planning a trip to Tokyo in September and want to try the capsule hotel experience just to say that I have. 2 days is probably the most i'll be able to stomach before i get claustrophobic but am intruiged i have to say.

In the process of trying to book a couple of nights somwhere in Tokyo but if the booking sites aren't down then it's in japanese, which Ican't read. Is there a website that can help me out with the booking that anyone knows of?
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

06-01-2010, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripsis View Post
I'm planning a trip to Tokyo in September and want to try the capsule hotel experience just to say that I have. 2 days is probably the most i'll be able to stomach before i get claustrophobic but am intruiged i have to say.

In the process of trying to book a couple of nights somwhere in Tokyo but if the booking sites aren't down then it's in japanese, which Ican't read. Is there a website that can help me out with the booking that anyone knows of?
Capsule Inn shimbashi hotel Tokyo Japan coffin hotel

http://www.hgpshinjuku.jp/pdf/english.pdf

Tokyo

Where were you looking? There are so many in English.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Tripsis (Offline)
New to JF

06-01-2010, 05:59 AM

Cheers for the links.

I suppose at this point anywhere roughly around Asakusa as we'll be staying in a K's house for most of the trip and the last couple of days in a capsule hotel.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
06-03-2010, 09:38 PM

Capsule Hotels are a spezial experience and my experience was ok in all of them. However like stated before they are not so cheap, what makes them expensive is that they are usually very central / close to trainstations.
Another negative point is that you would have to leave in the morning and that you only get a very small locker. And if you get a noisy neigbouhr you might have a short night.
If you want to save money but have your own room to sleep i´d recommend Economy Backpackers Hotel NEW KOYO
Its not a fancy place and the rooms are very small but 2700yen for a private room is hard to beat in Tokyo. Its only 2 stations to Akiba by train/subway and the stations are around 5 min walk from the hotel. They also feature a japanese style bath, but most foreigners don´t use it (i thought it was quite good).
Internet cafe´s are probably cheaper, but i wouldn´t want to do that for a week. You could crash in 24h Sauna places, there are some scattered around Ueno and i think it was around 2000yen but i´d take the hotel or a youth hostel.

Back home after 1 year work and travel in Japan and 3 month in Korea: www.teglas.asia (text is in German, but see the pictures!)
(#15 (permalink))
Old
metalmark666 (Offline)
JF Regular

Exclamation 06-04-2010, 07:26 AM

Out of the eleven days we were in Tokyo, we spent four of them in a capsule hotel, the other seven in a hostel.
The capsule hotel was alright, it could warrant a stay for a night or two just for the experience, but that is all. The closing period during the day sucks. There were a few times when we could have come back to chill for an hour or two during the day but couldn't as the hotel was locked up.
The hostel was also 1000 yen cheaper too, if you look at how much space you get in a capsule for your money too...
So, if you do go, stay for one or two nights but no more, there is much better and cheaper accommodation around.

Please read my diary that I wrote when travelling and working in Japan for three months. It is also packed full of information. I hope that it can inspire you to have an adventure too.
Please contact me if I can help you with advice or information.

Japan 2008: Memoires of a Gaijin A.K.A. A Journey Through the Land of the Rising Sun
(#16 (permalink))
Old
janita (Offline)
New to JF

07-31-2010, 12:25 PM

My grandfather went to Japan in 1992 and also slept in a capsule for 1 night. He has said we really should do this for 1 night. But at that time, the capsule hotels were only for men. Did time change ?
Does my boyfriend and me have to sleep in different capsule hotels, or can we sleep in the same hotel (but ofcourse a different capsule) ?
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
07-31-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janita View Post
My grandfather went to Japan in 1992 and also slept in a capsule for 1 night. He has said we really should do this for 1 night. But at that time, the capsule hotels were only for men. Did time change ?
Does my boyfriend and me have to sleep in different capsule hotels, or can we sleep in the same hotel (but ofcourse a different capsule) ?
It really depends on the hotel, but most of them are men only. There are a few major chains that are for both men and women though - generally so many floors for men, and so many for women. Just check ahead to be sure of the policies before you go to stay.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.