JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
BoyFromTheFuture (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to BoyFromTheFuture
08-30-2009, 01:56 AM

Might wanna hit up some music shows (assuming you're into japanese music). You could check artists' myspace for show dates. Would recommend this even if you're not really into the music. Japanese music is <333. Good underground scene .
(#12 (permalink))
Old
darksidekei (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to darksidekei
08-30-2009, 05:05 AM

yea that too but myspace sucks for that forums r better cuz there be groups noone heard of they have and recommend them and myspace wont even know bout it till they mainstream...
(#13 (permalink))
Old
BoyFromTheFuture (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to BoyFromTheFuture
08-30-2009, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksidekei View Post
yea that too but myspace sucks for that forums r better cuz there be groups noone heard of they have and recommend them and myspace wont even know bout it till they mainstream...
No lol , I meant bands have their own mysace pages , and they post their show dates. Ofc you'd have to know the bands you want to see though to be able to look them up.
Example : avengers in sci-fi on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads , great band that's still underground , should check them out if you're in Tokyo and get some pics for me .
Google Tokyo Gig Guide , you'll find venues and info on gigs.
Also should look out for music/art/culture festivals.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
trunker (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-30-2009, 06:48 AM

it sounds like you'll be fine with $4k, depending on what youre spending habits are like.

is the Y100,000 for rent coming from the 4k?

even if it is you ought to fine for one month. as the man said train travel around tokyo itself can add up quickly. $10-20 a day can be an average day depending on how much you like walking and far you want to go.

food wise i think you'd be pretty comfortable on Y2,000 a day. you can have a decent sit down meal for less than Y1,000, and no doubt somedays you'll just grab a couple of onigiri (Y100-120 each)from the 7-11 and a drink which will only cost you about Y300-400. average ramen is about Y600-800. all quite a bit lower than Y1,000, but you can use the left over for those days that you just really feel like having a decent burger, and trust, that day will come :P .

if i remeber right takoyaki can run about Y500 for 3 balls in akihabara, while a turikish kebab shawarma type thing will cost just as much but will fill you up more.

so the only real uncertainty is how much shopping you intend to do, and we cant answer that for you. but then if you do find that rare vintage whatever for Y75,000 then you'll just have to settle for onigiri for the rest of your time there.

oh and clubs run you about Y2,500 with a drink at the door, some night are higher some ar lower, but many in that range. bring you passport to the club cos they ask for ID sometimes.

and yeah work is going to be tricky, unless your japanese is top notch, but theres no harm in trying.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
darksidekei (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to darksidekei
08-30-2009, 08:01 AM

so in order to be employed in japan you HAVE to pass that 3 part test exam for japanese right? how hard are they? if anyone knows.. I'm doing that rosetta stone program to learn so far its ok I'm still on level 1.. and for the the avengers in sci-fi page the guy sent me it isn't that bad I like the way they sing. If i find a gig of theirs I will let you know how it went.