JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ravenyan (Offline)
New to JF

Advice needed for first-timers on 9 day trip to Tokyo, Hakone and Kyoto - 06-06-2010, 06:15 AM

Hi all,

Have planned out a 9-day trip for my family (parents, sis, and myself) but would like your advice on whether there are better/cheaper ways on getting ard, or whether there could be any improvements to the trip flow, or whether i'm squeezing too many things in the itinerary in one day. Thanks!

Day 1 (Sat) - Hakone
- Arrive in Japan at ard 8 am
- Buy 7-day JR Ordinary Pass (22,300 Yen)
- Activate pass, and take NEX to Tokyo Station, then take Shinkansen to Odawara, and buy 2 day Hakone pass (3,900 Yen) at Odawara
- Either travel to Hakone-Yumoto to stay at Shunkoso ryokan or Hakone Suimeisou ryokan or go to Gora to stay at Tamaki ryokan (pls advice if you have any experience at these ryokans! private baths are a must. All should be open on a Sat right? Looking for low-mid budget places.)
- Leave luggage there and travel around Hakone.

Day 2 (Sun) - Hakone + Kyoto
- Go around Hakone a bit more in the morning, if didn't manage to finish it on the previous day.
- Check out, take the Shinkansen to Kyoto
- Check into Hotel, go to Higashimaya, then neighbouring Gion, then Pontocho Alley

Day 3 (Mon) - Kyoto
- Go to Kinkakuji, Kiyomizu temple, walk down Sanneizaka, continue on to Sanjusengendo (if want to see a lot of buddhas in the hall) or Fushimi Inari Shrine (for pretty sunset views) or Nijo Castle

Day 4 (Tues) - Disneyland
- Take train back to Tokyo, take the JR Keiyo Line or JR Musashino Line (about 15 minutes) get off at JR Maihama Station (South Exit).
- Check into Mystays Maihama
- Buy 2 day option for Disneyland

Day 5 (Wed) - Disneysea

Day 6 (Thurs) - Tokyo
- Check out and go to Tokyo in the morning. Stay at Daichi Annex Hotel in Ginza. Go to Imperial Palace at 10am for a 1hr15min tour. Walk around the gardens.
- Go Odaiba by Yurikamome. Walk ard in Odaiba and visit all the attractions there.

Day 7 (Fri) - Tokyo
- Walk up very early to get to Tsukiji Fish Market.
- Go to Asakusa, walk along Nakamise Dori to get to Sensoji Temple
- Go Ueno, walk along Ameyoko street
- Wander around Yanaka/Nezu/Sendagu area.
- If there's still time, go back to Ginza and walk around Ginza.

Day 8 (Sat) - Tokyo
- Go to Shibuya, visit Tokyu hands, walk around there.
- Go to Kichijoji to visit Studio Ghibli, and go to Inokashiri Park.
- Come back to Shinjuku area, Visit the twin tower metropolitian office, then go to Kabukicho area

Day 9 (Sun) - Tokyo and return home
- Go to Harajuku in the morning, visit the Meiji shrine, and walk down Omote-Sando and shop.
- Travel to airport at 4pm (no more JR pass, so we'll prob take a bus or buy a one-way NEX)
- Home we go.

Thanks a lot! As it's our first time in Japan, we'll appreciate any advice to improve on the trip!!

Best rgds,
(#2 (permalink))
Old
makandat (Offline)
New to JF

06-09-2010, 09:57 AM

Don't you visit Akihabara ?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
PocketRockets285 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to PocketRockets285
06-10-2010, 01:09 PM

Hi Ravenyan

Quote:
Buy 7-day JR Ordinary Pass (22,300 Yen)
I'm assuming you don't know, but JR railpasses of any type cannot be purchased in Japan. As they are directed at tourists, you will have to buy the EXCHANGE VOUCHER in your home country, up to 3 months before you plan to use it. Once you need to use it, you go to a JR station to exchange the voucher for the actual JR railpass. (I can think of Ueno and Tokyo stations where you can do this)

Your itinerary needs a bit of work. You're not spending enough time in Kyoto, there's so much to see there! Also consider a day trip to Nara, ancient capital of Japan and home to the best temple complex I've seen so far.

Tokyo tower is a good place for the 'sky-high' views, also in the nearby area is Roppongi Hills, Tokyo Midtown, The World Trade Centre, Tsujiki fish market (which is already on your list)... Ginza was pretty 'meh' as far as I was concerned. Also consider Akihibara, as already posted...

That's all I can think of right now.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
ravenyan (Offline)
New to JF

Thanks for the replies - 06-15-2010, 06:58 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the advice so far.

Didn't consider Akihabara cos none in my family are really into electronic goods, or gaming. My sis and myself have some interest in anime, but not our parents unfortunately, so was considering to skip it. Anything of particular interest at Akihabara?

Hmm...as for Kyoto, yupz, I agree, heard from people that there are lots of things to do there, but unfortunately couldn't squeeze out more days. Should I skip Hakone altogether (and just take picture of Mount Fuji from the shinkansen) and just spend the time in Kyoto instead?

Any other advice for the trip? Thanks!!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
AllYouCanJapan (Offline)
New to JF

Advice - 06-17-2010, 10:33 AM

Hey,

Akihabara is fantastic to walk around for an hour even without checking out the electronics.

Other than that your itinerary seems pretty solid. Are you going to Hakone for Mt. Fuji or for hot springs? Because there are plenty of other (better) places for hot springs.

As for the JR pass - as you were told you need to purchase them outside Japan. Are you sure you need the national pass? Maybe the one for a specific region would do - check that out. There are specific discounted passes for Hakone travel if I remember correctly. Or see if you want a packaged tour to Hakone including accommodation and transportation if you are looking for a bit of luxury.

In my opinion, Kyoto is quite boring after a couple of days unless you are extremely in to temples and shrines and traditional Japanese culture.

Finally, Disneyland? Really? It's a lot of fun, don't get me wrong, but you are missing out on Japan, if your trip is only 9 days and you are spending 2 in Disneyland.

I think you could get a lot of useful information from my blog - Smart & Cheap Japan Travel and the book that is coming out soon.