JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
Couple hours between Kyoto and Osaka - 06-23-2010, 01:11 AM

Thanks to a weird schedule fluke, this Friday I will have about 2 hours to spend either in Kyoto or Osaka. I need to be in Kyoto (downtown) from 10 to 12, then in Osaka (吹田市) from 5. Counting in lunch and travel time... I`ll have about 2 hours of completely free time to kill.

As it will be hot, sticky, and possibly even raining - and because I never spend any time in Kyoto - I was planning to visit the Kyoto National Museum. Unfortunately it looks like they`re closed until 7/17.

So now I`m sort of lost as to what to do to kill the time. I most certainly don`t want to trudge around in the unpleasant weather, plus it`s only a couple hours - there is no way to do any sort of typical tourism like thing. Right now it`s looking like I may just spend the time wandering around Aeon, which seems like a bit of a waste as I never spend time in the area... I was considering driving through the mountains to stretch out the trip, but that would be a little too close for time and have too many variables that could make me late.

So... Any suggestions from those familiar with the area? One indoor attraction to kill my time would be great. I`ll be there by car, so location itself isn`t an issue - parking, however, is. I`d prefer Kyoto as, well, I never go to Kyoto. But northern Osaka or somewhere in between would be fine too.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

06-23-2010, 01:25 AM

if you are in Kawaramachi/Gion area, even if its raining it is still a great place to walk around. I walked around that area even though it was raining, but it was still lovely , I guess it just me, I love Kyoto.

Anyways there is also a shotengai just at the back of Daimaru( i think ) where Kyoto food and really nice kyoto items are sold. Not much tourist around that area only those that really explore the alley of Kyoto.

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#3 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-23-2010, 01:35 AM

I wish I could offer more help, but I've only been to Osaka a few times and an indoor place that comes to mind to me is the aquarium... unfortunately it's all the way south.

I really liked Arashiyama and would like to go there when there is a light rain. There's a lot of bamboo there and a ton of monkeys. I'd only be afraid of the ground if it got muddy... so it's probably not the best choice. It'd be an adventure though! They have a lot of shops at the bottom of the mountain (and a beautiful bridge overlooking the river). You might get some omiyage shopping done there. I know they have a lot of museums in Kyoto, too. I can't remember there names as it's been years.

If I were you, I'd bring some rain boots & a change of clothes to allow yourself to be a bit more adventurous rather than staying indoors. That's just me though (I think I'm developing a complex where I like to be otudoors more than indoors recently though so take what I say with a grain of salt).
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

06-23-2010, 01:42 AM

I guess I should have added more info. I`ll be in a nice suit, dragging a child in formal wear about, and spending the evening at a wedding... so really REALLY do not want to spend time outdoors. That is for another more trip-like trip. There is no way I`m changing clothes and redoing everything...

I know there are absolutely tons of things to see and do outdoors... I wouldn`t have a problem finding something if indoors wasn`t a requirement. Life is never so simple though.

(#5 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

06-23-2010, 01:54 AM

in that case maybe just relax and enjoy a cup of tea on one of the tea houses facing the river in kawaramachi before heading out to suita

namba parks would also be a nice place to hang out for a few hours, if you don't mind going all way to minami in osaka..

My Japan Life

(#6 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

06-23-2010, 01:56 AM

i think there is also a museum in Hankyu sanbangai if you are interested in that

My Japan Life

(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-23-2010, 02:40 AM

There are plenty of indoor things to do in Umeda, Osaka. Your son would enjoy the Kiddyland store and the wacky water fountain below it. It is accessible from any of the Osaka stations without going outside, but Hankyu is the closest.

I think it is Shin-Imamiya station (Osaka Loop line) that is in front of the train museum. I think it is a short hop across the street and is a good place to kill a couple hours. I am not sure in Osaka where your wedding is.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-23-2010, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I guess I should have added more info. I`ll be in a nice suit, dragging a child in formal wear about, and spending the evening at a wedding... so really REALLY do not want to spend time outdoors. That is for another more trip-like trip. There is no way I`m changing clothes and redoing everything...

I know there are absolutely tons of things to see and do outdoors... I wouldn`t have a problem finding something if indoors wasn`t a requirement. Life is never so simple though.
WOW! My mistake! I imagined a business type suit... that could be changed in like less than 20 minutes. I didn't think that you'd have a child with you! In that case, the aquarium could be a good choice, but to be honest I think Samokan hit the nail on the head. Just try to find a place to relax because it sounds like you could add some unnecessary stress to your day by driving around too much (especially if you have to drive in Osaka city or crowded areas in Kyoto). I've tried plenty of times to do too much on a trip and I end up exhausting myself (and my wife) searching for something to do whe a good hour of relaxation could've done the trick instead.

I think you mentioned somewhere before that you've done your share of driving in Japan... so you know that there can be sudden traffic that can cause like an hour delay. Also street lights in a city can make things take longer than navigations say they will (wheras in the inaka things take like 1/2 the time or even 1/3 the time). I think you should just take your time driving and get to your destinations early and do something around the area while you wait. It might be boring for your child, but it's probably the safest bet. Taking a break at a cafe is a really good idea though. I've learned t do that when I travel. You can get information from the owners of the cafe that will lead you to some interesting local things that may be a little off the beaten path, too.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

06-23-2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samokan View Post
in that case maybe just relax and enjoy a cup of tea on one of the tea houses facing the river in kawaramachi before heading out to suita
Two hours in a tea house is a little long, as I`ve already allotted an hour for having lunch somewhere nice.

Quote:
namba parks would also be a nice place to hang out for a few hours, if you don't mind going all way to minami in osaka..
Traffic is kind of iffy on that one, but I`ll take a look.

Quote:
i think there is also a museum in Hankyu sanbangai if you are interested in that
I`ll definitely check on that one. Right now I`m kind of looking at either the 風俗博物館 in Kyoto, or the 大阪くらし今昔館 in Osaka. I assume there is something like that in Kyoto too, but for the life of me I can`t find it.

Quote:
There are plenty of indoor things to do in Umeda, Osaka. Your son would enjoy the Kiddyland store and the wacky water fountain below it. It is accessible from any of the Osaka stations without going outside, but Hankyu is the closest.

I think it is Shin-Imamiya station (Osaka Loop line) that is in front of the train museum. I think it is a short hop across the street and is a good place to kill a couple hours. I am not sure in Osaka where your wedding is.
We`ll be in 吹田, so not actually into the city-city. Also - we`ll be there by car, so I am kind of iffy at trying to find parking and such downtown. If we were there by train, things would be a bit different. I`ll check into parking, but right by the station seems like it would be a big pain.

Quote:
I think you mentioned somewhere before that you've done your share of driving in Japan... so you know that there can be sudden traffic that can cause like an hour delay. Also street lights in a city can make things take longer than navigations say they will (wheras in the inaka things take like 1/2 the time or even 1/3 the time). I think you should just take your time driving and get to your destinations early and do something around the area while you wait. It might be boring for your child, but it's probably the safest bet. Taking a break at a cafe is a really good idea though. I've learned t do that when I travel. You can get information from the owners of the cafe that will lead you to some interesting local things that may be a little off the beaten path, too.
If we want to get technical, I have 6 hours. I count one for eating, one for the expressway between Kyoto and Osaka (Driven it countless times - more like 45 minutes at the most)... One just to be safe, and the last one can be spent waiting with other people (the reception itself is from 6, but the hall is open from 5). So when I say I have 2 hours, I really have 2 whole hours of free time. In the end, I`ll probably still have an hour more to wait once I do whatever.
I`m not really interested in entertaining the child - he is content and will live with whatever we do, nor am I worried about driving. I just want to find something better to do with my time than sitting around waiting.

I`d planned to wander around the Kyoto National Museum, but didn`t realize that they were closed for a month, so need something of the same scale to fill the time. The costume museum looks nice, but much much smaller. As I`m a huge history buff, I`d rather spend my time in a museum or the like than taking in the "atmosphere".

(#10 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

06-23-2010, 08:41 AM

i totally forgot, if you have not been to the Museum of Art in Osaka its along
Yodobashi Dori

National Museum of Art, Osaka

My Japan Life