JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Cortney143 (Offline)
New to JF

Visa? - 03-24-2011, 01:29 AM

So here is the situation, I used to study at Sophia University, but I was sick a lot because when I went, I didn’t realize I was anemic and never could afford an adequate amount of meat when I was over there, so after three months I had to return to America. Well, instead of being able to return to Japan right away until my body actually returned to normal, I was forced to go to a university in the states, and rather than losing another semester of credits I decided to stay until I had enough to transfer over to a new school (temple university) this fall. However, my student visa expires 05/28 (only a few days before the 06/01 deadline for temple visa applications). My question is, is there any way for me to extend my visa another few months, or even a year? If so would I be able to contact the Japanese Embassy in L.A. (the closest JEmbassy to my home in Arizona) and request that they just extend my visa until I go there.. and just renew it? I am already accepted to Temple so it wouldn’t be an issue of providing that I am a student there, its more or less I would like to have some time (or rather not have to at all) provide the 36k financial viability to get a new visa… when I already have one. I hope this makes sense. If anyone has any questions or any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!!!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-24-2011, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortney143 View Post
So here is the situation, I used to study at Sophia University, but I was sick a lot because when I went, I didn’t realize I was anemic and never could afford an adequate amount of meat when I was over there, so after three months I had to return to America. Well, instead of being able to return to Japan right away until my body actually returned to normal, I was forced to go to a university in the states, and rather than losing another semester of credits I decided to stay until I had enough to transfer over to a new school (temple university) this fall. However, my student visa expires 05/28 (only a few days before the 06/01 deadline for temple visa applications). My question is, is there any way for me to extend my visa another few months, or even a year? If so would I be able to contact the Japanese Embassy in L.A. (the closest JEmbassy to my home in Arizona) and request that they just extend my visa until I go there.. and just renew it? I am already accepted to Temple so it wouldn’t be an issue of providing that I am a student there, its more or less I would like to have some time (or rather not have to at all) provide the 36k financial viability to get a new visa… when I already have one. I hope this makes sense. If anyone has any questions or any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!!!
Did you get a reentry permit before you left Japan? If not, then you wouldn't be able use your old student visa, or renew it, anyway. You need to apply for a new visa. If you did get e reentry permit before leaving, then you can contact the embassy and see about getting it extended.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Cortney143 (Offline)
New to JF

03-24-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
Did you get a reentry permit before you left Japan? If not, then you wouldn't be able use your old student visa, or renew it, anyway. You need to apply for a new visa. If you did get e reentry permit before leaving, then you can contact the embassy and see about getting it extended.
Yes, they did require me to get a reentry permit when I was leaving for the U.S... they wouldn't let me leave without one. So I will contact them today Thank you