JapanForum.com  

View Poll Results: Do you like tattoos?
Yes, I think tattoos can look great. 57 62.64%
No, I think that tattoos are nasty scars. 2 2.20%
Maybe, occasionally I've seen a good tattoo and it's cool but mostly they are rubbish. 32 35.16%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#191 (permalink))
Old
Kanji_The_Wanderer (Offline)
風林火山

04-25-2008, 03:58 PM

I don't think anyone has asked this before (if they have I totally missed it) but I noticed there is a lot of problems with the association with Yakuza to having a tattoo. Just because you have a tattoo, doesn't mean you are a gang member.

Why is this so? A lot of cultures and people have tattoos as symbolic representations.

In the past was there some sort of incident involving Yakuza and hot springs etc.

From what is written here, if you have a tattoo, no matter who you are, it is frowned upon.

Having a tattoo in Japan must mean you are in a gang. It is probably so intergraded into their society that that response is natural?
(#192 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
04-25-2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanji_The_Wanderer View Post
I don't think anyone has asked this before (if they have I totally missed it) but I noticed there is a lot of problems with the association with Yakuza to having a tattoo. Just because you have a tattoo, doesn't mean you are a gang member.

Why is this so? A lot of cultures and people have tattoos as symbolic representations.

In the past was there some sort of incident involving Yakuza and hot springs etc.

From what is written here, if you have a tattoo, no matter who you are, it is frowned upon.

Having a tattoo in Japan must mean you are in a gang. It is probably so intergraded into their society that that response is natural?

Doesn't mean you are a gang member but, because of the links to gang members, people with tattoos are generally frowned upon (especially by the older generation)
(#193 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-25-2008, 11:21 PM

A lot of younger people are getting tattoos in Japan. But if you are yakuza, there is a good chance you are inked. Onsens can't put up a sign that says "No Yakuza", so they go around the issue by saying "No Tattoos".
(#194 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

04-25-2008, 11:36 PM

Hypothetically speaking, what if a person were to have a small tattoo ("small" being a few inches in diameter/height/width) in an inconspicuous location like the inner-bicep (armpit area) or ankle. Do they usually do inspections for these kinds of things?
(#195 (permalink))
Old
Nki (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to Nki
04-25-2008, 11:49 PM

Amazing Tattoo. Looks great... but certain places have rules.
not only in Japan... all around the globe

Nki Loves You.
(#196 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-25-2008, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydelart View Post
Hypothetically speaking, what if a person were to have a small tattoo ("small" being a few inches in diameter/height/width) in an inconspicuous location like the inner-bicep (armpit area) or ankle. Do they usually do inspections for these kinds of things?
Well if the signs say "No tattoos" and you go in with a tattoo, they aren't going to be too happy about it. The reason is, if they let you in, and somebody sees it and lets the unsavory types know they are letting in people (gaijin no less) with tattoos, it'll be chaos.
(#197 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

04-26-2008, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Well if the signs say "No tattoos" and you go in with a tattoo, they aren't going to be too happy about it. The reason is, if they let you in, and somebody sees it and lets the unsavory types know they are letting in people (gaijin no less) with tattoos, it'll be chaos.
Ah, I understand.
(#198 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
05-05-2008, 02:48 AM

Thanks SO much for this topic! While I have to cover the tattoo on my upper arm at work because my supervisor is nuts, I hadn't thought about this when traveling. Guess it's a good thing I planned to visit in the winter when I will be wearing sleeves, and the only time the one on my thigh shoes is in a bathing suit. Guess I needn't bother any visits to hot springs.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#199 (permalink))
Old
catapillera1 (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to catapillera1
05-05-2008, 02:56 AM

that is really cool looking !
looks like you take really good care of it 2 !
it's not faded or anything,very very nice !
how long have you had it ?!

(((*(^_^)*)))
(#200 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-05-2008, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catapillera1 View Post
that is really cool looking !
looks like you take really good care of it 2 !
it's not faded or anything,very very nice !
how long have you had it ?!
The original poster hasn't been back in a long time...and he only made one post total.
Closed Thread