thanks and no probs

I'll write about my trip, and hopefully will drop some pics as well
(#23 (permalink))
Old
enyafriend (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-31-2007, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Hey, i'm off to Tokyo at the weekend for the first time and on my own. You statement got me curious because i aint caucasian. I'm black. is this a problem in Tokyo? a quick reply will be deeply appreciated as i leave next tomorrow for HK
Doesn't matter if you are black, white, yellow , brown, etc. Like I said, as long you are there for a short trip, as a tourist, not trying to act like a local, don't intend to offend anyone along the way, enjoying yourself with the culture and sights, then you'll be A-OK.

In fact, if you are able to roll out some simple Japanese words out of your tongue, it'll be much better. You can get a simple japanese phrase book for tourist. You'll find people there appreciating you and your effort more and more. Ultimately, your stay there would be more enjoyable and meaningful.
Just have a good time and don't worry too much.

Hokkaido e ikitai........
(#24 (permalink))
Old
DXL (Offline)
JF Regular

05-31-2007, 07:12 PM

^^^^ domo arigato gozaimazu
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Haggis (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-31-2007, 08:38 PM

When I was in Tokyo I asked someone where the subway station was and they started running down the street saying "follow me" and took me there.

Another time we were just standing looking at our maps, looking completely lost, and someone came up to us, asked us where we wanted to go and directed us.

I was amazed by all this, you'd never get this in London. I've not met such helpful and friendly people elsewhere. Language wise you do need a few sayings as everyone goes to great efforts in the shops and hotels to greet you and be polite. Good morning, thank you and excuse me (very useful on the subway trains) is a bare minimum to be getting by with.

Last edited by Haggis : 05-31-2007 at 08:42 PM.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
Kir0 (Offline)
JF Regular

06-01-2007, 11:33 AM

A friend of mine from church just moved here last year from Japan, and lived there her whole life. She says the Japanese love Americans. Of course like any place you go I'm sure you'll find those who dislike us, for whatever reason.

I've also been told by her, and the ninjas I'll be going with, that they are usually very friendly when you ask them directions.

Visited Japan in 2007.

I am female.