JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-17-2010, 03:06 AM

Fried had too many bones too. It also made my lips numb.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

06-17-2010, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bELyVIS View Post
Fried had too many bones too. It also made my lips numb.
Just stick with catfish. You have too many complaints about your better half's culture.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
honoraryjapanesegirl (Offline)
Holy Dattebayo, Batman!!

Send a message via Yahoo to honoraryjapanesegirl
06-17-2010, 03:23 AM

Wow...that actually looked really good from the pics! Thank you, Sashimister! I appreciate it!

Hmm...lots of mixed reviews. I do enjoy the subtle taste of fish, but I'm wondering about the price...is there any Fugu that's less expensive, but still good quality? I know there are certain things that you can find that way, but is Fugu one of them, or is that just one of things where you just kinda have-ta splurge on?

~Honorary~

P.S. Also, if I just want to buy the porridge, how much do you think that would range, or can I not buy it alone?

Thanks, guys!!

~...Why must the different be cast away, be cast into a deep, dark pit of loneliness, being mocked and scorned as the the enemy...and eventually...become it...?~
~HonoraryJapaneseGirl~
~.::{Akatsuki Clan Member--Leader of California}::.~
~.::{Michiko Manami}::.~

(#14 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

06-17-2010, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honoraryjapanesegirl View Post
Wow...that actually looked really good from the pics! Thank you, Sashimister! I appreciate it!

Hmm...lots of mixed reviews. I do enjoy the subtle taste of fish, but I'm wondering about the price...is there any Fugu that's less expensive, but still good quality? I know there are certain things that you can find that way, but is Fugu one of them, or is that just one of things where you just kinda have-ta splurge on?

~Honorary~

P.S. Also, if I just want to buy the porridge, how much do you think that would range, or can I not buy it alone?
Posting those pics made me hungry, too. But the summer is the worst season for fugu so I'll have to wait at least until October or November when the sea water starts getting cold and the fugu getting fatter and sweeter. January and Fevruary are the best, actually.

For less expensive fugu, I generally recommend going to Osaka where a course meal can often cost less than 5,000 yen. In Tokyo, you must usually expect to pay twice as much for the same quality.

Regarding your last question, I personally never have come across a place that serves the porridge without ordering the pot. However, I did once buy at a souvenir shop in Fukuoka fugu stock that came in a pouch that I took home and made the porridge by adding rice and an egg. It wasn't bad at all, either.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Holy Dattebayo, Batman!!

06-17-2010, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashimister View Post
Posting those pics made me hungry, too. But the summer is the worst season for fugu so I'll have to wait at least until October or November when the sea water starts getting cold and the fugu getting fatter and sweeter. January and Fevruary are the best, actually.

For less expensive fugu, I generally recommend going to Osaka where a course meal can often cost less than 5,000 yen. In Tokyo, you must usually expect to pay twice as much for the same quality.

Regarding your last question, I personally never have come across a place that serves the porridge without ordering the pot. However, I did once buy at a souvenir shop in Fukuoka fugu stock that came in a pouch that I took home and made the porridge by adding rice and an egg. It wasn't bad at all, either.
Thanks! That's really helpful, Sashimister! I'll have to check it out sometime when I'm in Japan. I plan to go there soon, but not exactly sure when. I'll definately keep your post in mind, though! XD

~Honorary~

~...Why must the different be cast away, be cast into a deep, dark pit of loneliness, being mocked and scorned as the the enemy...and eventually...become it...?~
~HonoraryJapaneseGirl~

(#16 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
06-17-2010, 02:27 PM

That pic of the Fugusashi is one I have seen before and continues to be very appetizing. I don't think I would want someone with less artistry preparing mine, so the expense would be expected.

More interesting to me though is that there is now research underway using the toxin to treat severe cases of chronic pain that have been unresponsive to current pharmaceuticals. It had to be a brave and desperate person to be one of the first volunteers to test it.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Holy Dattebayo, Batman!!

06-17-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
That pic of the Fugusashi is one I have seen before and continues to be very appetizing. I don't think I would want someone with less artistry preparing mine, so the expense would be expected.

More interesting to me though is that there is now research underway using the toxin to treat severe cases of chronic pain that have been unresponsive to current pharmaceuticals. It had to be a brave and desperate person to be one of the first volunteers to test it.
Wow, it's really interesting that you say that, TalnSG, because my Mom and I both have a chronic pain disease that's unresponsive to medication. I'll have to do some research on that, because in my spare time I become an herbalist. I'm always on the hunt for new remedies, and old. Thank you for posting this, TalnSG, this is really helpful.

I have heard of a similar situation, where the toxin in a fish, or some other creature was used to treat some kind of medical issue. I just can't remember right now. Lol...But I do appreciate this, thank you.

~HonoraryJapaneseGirl~

~HonoraryJapaneseGirl~

(#18 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

06-17-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Wow, it's really interesting that you say that, TalnSG, because my Mom and I both have a chronic pain disease that's unresponsive to medication. I'll have to do some research on that, because in my spare time I become an herbalist. I'm always on the hunt for new remedies, and old. Thank you for posting this, TalnSG, this is really helpful.

I have heard of a similar situation, where the toxin in a fish, or some other creature was used to treat some kind of medical issue. I just can't remember right now. Lol...But I do appreciate this, thank you.

~HonoraryJapaneseGirl~
You might be interested to know then there's some poison frogs they're looking at as they produce a substance up to 100 times more powerful than morphine. It was in National Geographic.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
06-17-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:

~HonoraryJapaneseGirl~
Like the studies you and Columbine refer to, these are all ongoing research and as far as I know not in general use. The story I came across about the fugu is still testing dosage levels, but seems to have very few side effects - so far.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

06-17-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
Like the studies you and Columbine refer to, these are all ongoing research and as far as I know not in general use. The story I came across about the fugu is still testing dosage levels, but seems to have very few side effects - so far.
They found with one of the frog chemicals it had less side effects; it wasn't addictive at any rate. But yes, certainly not available for common use!