JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#51 (permalink))
Old
TKS (Offline)
JF Regular

05-26-2008, 05:56 AM

----------

Last edited by TKS : 11-12-2008 at 01:16 AM.
(#52 (permalink))
Old
Gorotsuki (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to Gorotsuki Send a message via MSN to Gorotsuki Send a message via Yahoo to Gorotsuki Send a message via Skype™ to Gorotsuki
05-26-2008, 07:51 PM

You can not learn the Japanese language via anime/drama and other media.You maybe able to learn some words and informal speech, however its impossible to just up and one day deside to watch nothing but anime to learn from it. I have been learning Japanese for about a year now and when I watch subbed anime I often find that things are mis-translated or half-assed translations.

I know a person who was learning Japanese though anime...for 5 months. She was bragging and said to another.

"Watashi wa nihongo ga desu ka?" She said that it ment "Do you know japanese." She didn't even know how to say you or myself...

You can't go around using ore, teme, omae to everyone. You will just look like a fool. When talking to others I use watashi when talking to my friends I use boku I haven't used ore yet and I haven't seen a need to at the moment.

As far as listening practice. JDramas, games shows, cooking shows, talk shows. those I feel are good.
(#53 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
05-26-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorotsuki View Post
I know a person who was learning Japanese though anime...for 5 months. She was bragging and said to another.

"Watashi wa nihongo ga desu ka?" She said that it ment "Do you know japanese." She didn't even know how to say you or myself...
Shouldn't it have been, "Anata wa nihongo ga shirimasuka?"
(#54 (permalink))
Old
Gorotsuki (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to Gorotsuki Send a message via MSN to Gorotsuki Send a message via Yahoo to Gorotsuki Send a message via Skype™ to Gorotsuki
05-26-2008, 09:29 PM

YA. I think she was aiming for "Anata wa nihongo ga wakarimasu ka?" though.

The only things she said correct were nihongo and ka.
(#55 (permalink))
Old
MrDrEsq (Offline)
JF Regular

05-26-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
I have been learning Japanese for about a year now and when I watch subbed anime I often find that things are mis-translated or half-assed translations.
what do you mean?
(#56 (permalink))
Old
allie2590 (Offline)
I am the White Testament

05-26-2008, 10:17 PM

That goes without saying.
(#57 (permalink))
Old
Nathan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-26-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
"Watashi wa nihongo ga desu ka?"
I would love to hear her ask me "I am the Japanese language?"

A note of the translations - Sometimes they're off because the translator was in a rush, or perchance lazy, othertimes its just what would fit better in English. I know there are quite a few common Japanese phrases that you just wouldn't say in English.

Easiest example: 頑張りましょう (ganbarimashou)

How often would you say "Lets do our best!" at a sporting event? "Let's kick some ass!" would be more likely.

What about during a test?

I'm sure MMM will probably correct me, but direct translation does not always work. Most non-professional translating will be interpretative at best.

Last edited by Nathan : 05-26-2008 at 10:25 PM.
(#58 (permalink))
Old
m2013 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to m2013 Send a message via Yahoo to m2013
05-27-2008, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDrEsq View Post
what do you mean?
Often Animes and even some JDRAMA's are not subbed correctly. Granted you get whats going on. But sometimes words are added, sentences are moved around or even something like swear words are thrown in to make it cooler. Go fig on that one.

The only thing you learn from an anime is how to talk like an idiot. Don't get me wrong, I love anime(the good kind) so I'm not knocking it at all.

As said a few comments up, try watching music shows(HEYx3 is full of slang, that you would probably learn or use with close friends) Live action movies, Drama or the News(you can practice listening practice with the News since they use formal speech)
(#59 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-27-2008, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I would love to hear her ask me "I am the Japanese language?"

A note of the translations - Sometimes they're off because the translator was in a rush, or perchance lazy, othertimes its just what would fit better in English. I know there are quite a few common Japanese phrases that you just wouldn't say in English.

Easiest example: 頑張りましょう (ganbarimashou)

How often would you say "Lets do our best!" at a sporting event? "Let's kick some ass!" would be more likely.

What about during a test?

I'm sure MMM will probably correct me, but direct translation does not always work. Most non-professional translating will be interpretative at best.

The trick with any translation is knowing your audience. Anime isn't intended to be used as study guides, so the translations aren't always accurate. It has nothing to do with being in a rush or laziness when it comes to professional translators doing legally licensed translations (I can't comment on fansubs). You have limitations in time and space, so sometimes what the character is saying in the screen in Japanese and what is written below isn't the same thing.

Last edited by MMM : 05-27-2008 at 01:21 AM.
(#60 (permalink))
Old
MrDrEsq (Offline)
JF Regular

05-27-2008, 01:49 AM

so therefore, please go easy on the translators