JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
jslang (Offline)
New to JF

New Japanese Slang site: Jslang.com - 07-13-2008, 01:16 AM

I just want to let everyone know about Jslang.com, a website I've been working on for the past long while.
It's a site that's devoted to Japanese slang (zokugo) and regional dialects (hougen).

I realize that there are lots of Japanese slang sites, but Jslang.com is different.
It is the most comprehensive site on Japanese slang on the internet right now, and is a valuable tool for language learners at all levels.
There are a few features which make it stand out: the fact that it is a searchable database, the fact that anyone can add terms to the database, and the "Jslang Mail" feature, which will commence on July 21st, which is a free service which will provide daily Japanese slang terms, Monday to Friday, with translations, notes, example sentences, etc.

Please check out the site:

Jslang.com - The World's Largest Japanese Slang Database

And while you're there, make sure to sign up for the free daily e-mail service.

If you like the site, please be sure to tell your friends and collegues about it.

Thanks.

Jon Roberts, Chief Editor of Jslang.com

Jslang.com - The World's Largest Japanese Slang Database
http://www.jslang.com
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-13-2008, 01:28 AM

I think a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-13-2008, 02:32 AM

Japanese (in Romanji):
ya

Japanese:

English:
emphatic (!)

Part of Speech:
copula

Region (where this slang/phrase is used):
Kansai

Demographic (who would use this slang/phrase):
younger people If anything, や is used more emphatically by older people, but it is safe to say it is used by pretty much all Kansai folks.

------------

You've got all kinds of Hokkaido slang on the front page, so if started talking about Heppe with someone not from Hokkaido, they are not going to know what I am talking about. There is no context in the lists, so I am seeing all these words I never heard before, and then have to click to see they are only used in a small part of Japan. I like learning dialect words, too, but that organization is a little dangerous.

So is putting all the words in romaji from the start. 9 times out of 10 non-experts (or at least people who can't read hiragana) should not be using these words.

Just my thoughts. You have put a lot of effort in, but those points I think needed to be mentioned.

Last edited by MMM : 07-13-2008 at 02:46 AM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Rogozhin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-13-2008, 04:09 AM

I think the lists make it too easy for people to take home some hip/rude slang without understanding how they're used, so I think it would be better to get rid of the "Japanese" romaji column and make it so that the reader sees all the important details along with the Japanese slang. Same goes with browsing in Japanese. I think contexts are a must too.

Anyway, it is comprehensive and the map is nifty too.