JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
zestron (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to zestron Send a message via Yahoo to zestron Send a message via Skype™ to zestron
Where to start learning Kanji and Japanese? - 07-13-2008, 09:18 PM

I've already learned Katakana and Hiragana so how should I start learning Kanji as well as Japanese?

"If it is possible to manipulate this thread, then it will be possible to control everything in the world." - Curses and Witches -LA
--
[If you have the time, translate and PM me this(Note: Its a big block of text) {http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/3239/heartwarmerinstructionxp9.png}]
(#2 (permalink))
Old
kyo_9 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via Yahoo to kyo_9
07-13-2008, 10:31 PM

the best thing to do is to start practising writing kanji.. it is better if you've joined japanese classes coz the effects is better rather than studying by yourself..

LiVe Ur LiFe
Don't do drugs!

(#3 (permalink))
Old
PouncingAnt (Offline)
JF Regular

07-14-2008, 09:46 AM

I'd advise writing out a list of words you want to know, and looking up their kanji (I remember some site called Kantango, which I used during my A-Levels), and using flashcards to help you memorise them.

Also, get a book, or look for a site online where you can learn the grammar.

Now you know the hiragana and katakana, you need to learn how to make sentences. If you can make simple sentences, then practice every day by writing down in the very least 1 sentence about something you did today.

Good luck learning Japanese!

EDIT (of course, you can take this ad infinatum. If you feel like it, and become able to, write a whole journal entry each day.. But, one step at a time, eh? )

You can also check out Japanese lessons on my site

Last edited by PouncingAnt : 07-14-2008 at 09:49 AM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
GoodAnime (Offline)
New to JF

07-15-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PouncingAnt View Post
I'd advise writing out a list of words you want to know, and looking up their kanji (I remember some site called Kantango, which I used during my A-Levels), and using flashcards to help you memorise them.

Also, get a book, or look for a site online where you can learn the grammar.

Now you know the hiragana and katakana, you need to learn how to make sentences. If you can make simple sentences, then practice every day by writing down in the very least 1 sentence about something you did today.

Good luck learning Japanese!

EDIT (of course, you can take this ad infinatum. If you feel like it, and become able to, write a whole journal entry each day.. But, one step at a time, eh? )
Thank you, PouncingAnt for the site!

"I want to be FREE, so break it down!" ~Song 'Breakdown' by Epik High

Good-Anime's DeviantART
(#5 (permalink))
Old
PouncingAnt (Offline)
JF Regular

07-16-2008, 09:35 AM

If you mean Kantango, its not a bad little site. My A-Level word lists are still up there (dont be put off by the "advanced level".. that is simply refering to the name of the course I was taking.. which ironically wasn't that difficult)

That said, there are probably better sites out there, but I'm too lazy to look for them

You can also check out Japanese lessons on my site
(#6 (permalink))
Old
martshi3 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to martshi3
07-16-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodAnime View Post
Thank you, PouncingAnt for the site!
I agree with GoodAnime. The other site not kantango is very helpful and easy to learn and understand.