LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
tokyo11678 (Offline)
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to tokyo11678
Smile kanji - 04-17-2009, 02:34 PM

Hey guys,

If any of you are having difficulties with learning the kanji stroke order, i reccomend you to visit these two websites:

Yamasa Online Kanji Dictionary

http://kakijun.main.jp/

I hope you to leave a feedback regarding them.....
(#2 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

Send a message via Skype™ to alanX
04-17-2009, 04:10 PM

I think stroke order doesn't really matter.

猿も木から落ちる
(#3 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-17-2009, 04:29 PM

Stroke sequence is important if you want to learn/write Japanese... as opposed to draw it like a pictograph.

Besides, if you use a Kanji-jiten, it'll be expecting you to use the proper stroke sequence for character recognition.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

04-17-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytuna View Post
Besides, if you use a Kanji-jiten, it'll be expecting you to use the proper stroke sequence for character recognition.
I think this is the only reason you would need to know stroke order.

猿も木から落ちる
(#5 (permalink))
Old
chryuop (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-17-2009, 05:24 PM

I have noticed that for some kanji, by following the stroke order I can actually draw them pretty good. Strangely for those kanji if I don't follow the stroke order they come out scale. For some kanji really doesn't matter...and some kanji will never come out good, no matter what order I follow, like 夏 which I really hate

降り注ぐ雨 マジで冷てぇ
暗闇の中 歩くしかねぇ
everything’s gonna be okay 恐れることねぇ
辛い時こそ胸を張れ
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-17-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanX View Post
I think this is the only reason you would need to know stroke order.
If you want to be legible, you need to write in the correct stroke order. You also need to know stroke order to read other people's hand written kanji. Stroke order allows you to see the character, even if it isn't written clearly. Characters written out of stroke order look obviously gaijin.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
jesselt (Offline)
弱肉強食

04-17-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Oh dear...
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

04-17-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Why does everything that you post on this forum completely defy logic?

You don't know Japanese. You haven't lived in Japan. On another thread, you gave someone visa "advice" that could have gotten them stuck outside of Japan with no hope for re-entry. You denounce textbooks and conventional learning methods despite the fact that you know about 0.5% of the Japanese language. You told someone they could get a job flipping burgers in Japan. You told someone the "best" way to live in Japan is to go on a tourist visa and throw down a ton of money on guesthouses.

Stop.

Saying that stroke order doesn't matter proves that your knowledge of the language and how to learn it is nothing. Try reading someone's handwriting who doesn't use correct stroke order. 99% of the time it's an awkward mess.

郷に入っては郷に従え

Last edited by Hatredcopter : 04-17-2009 at 06:52 PM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
UMIBOZU (Offline)
New to JF

04-17-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
If you want to be legible, you need to write in the correct stroke order. You also need to know stroke order to read other people's hand written kanji. Stroke order allows you to see the character, even if it isn't written clearly. Characters written out of stroke order look obviously gaijin.
I agree with MMM.
When we write kanji in cursive style (or semi-cursive style), to follow correct stroke order is very important.
In wrong order, characters will be unreadable by deviation from ordinary shape.
---
"kakijun" website is so fantastic! There must be enough kanji characters for our writing in lifetime.
I (Japanese) browsed several characters having rather many strokes, and could not even read some of those.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
alanX (Offline)
The Psychedelic Traveler

04-17-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatredcopter View Post
Saying that stroke order doesn't matter proves that your knowledge of the language and how to learn it is nothing. Try reading someone's handwriting who doesn't use correct stroke order. 99% of the time it's an awkward mess.
LOL

I guess it's just me, but I find improperly written Kanji just as legible as perfect ones.

And I'm dyslexic, so... I don't know. From the Kanji that I do know (which is only about a 3rd graders) I can read despite how they're written. As long as they're within reason, you know what I mean.

No need to try and bash someone based on your individual preferences. 99% of the time it's an awkward mess.

Nice edit there. I won't even acknowledge most of that ranting. lol
But yes, I said "one of the" easiest way of staying in Japan short-term (less that one year) would be staying in a guest house, which cost about $500 a month. Please inform me of a longer and cheaper stay, I beg of you. I said on a spousal visa, basically the best job you will get is a low-paying one. And I used "burger-flipping" as an example, if you will. I'll gladly link you the post if you'd like?

Don't get so worked up, kid. LOL

Also, since I'm on a roll of degrading myself by wasting 5 minutes of my life on you, I will elaborate on what I mean with the Kanji thing, as that post was a little confusing, and not all what I mean.

I guess I can see where some confusion would occur, when writing more complex Kanji improperly, such as 話, 読, 書, 機, 季. I can see there might be some confusion, such as mistaking them for other Kanji, etc. But with no-brainer 1st grade Kanji like 日, 円, 金 for God's Sake, stroke order really doesn't matter. (To me)

That's all I mean, bro.

猿も木から落ちる

Last edited by alanX : 04-17-2009 at 07:42 PM.