Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#241 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

02-23-2011, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Also, I asked them how to say 'nervous' in Japanese (in the sense that I don't have a lot of experience talking in Japanese so I'm nervous) and they suggested 「気を使う」. Is that the right expression to use here? I was under the impression 「気を使う」 meant more 'being bothered/concerned about something'.
While 気を使う (= to consider everything too much) can be used there, it is in no way a direct translation of "nervous". You could have used 緊張(きんちょう)する.

Young Japanese girls would say:
日本語で話す時(って)緊張しちゃうのよ。
緊張しちゃうのよ、日本語で話す時って。
緊張するのよ、日本語で話す時は。

If you MUST use 気を使う, you could say:
気を使っちゃうのよ、日本語で話す時って。なんにも言 えなくなっちゃう。
日本語で話す時って、色々気を使っちゃってダメなのよ 。だからなんにも言えなくなっちゃう。

Then again, if you can say any of these fluently, you won't sound nervous at all.

Basically, you should send what you can say. They already know what your Japanese is like. I'm just doing these for your future reference. Though you never stated it, I take it that you wanna sound nice and casual.

こんにちは! おとといの晩、真央さんたちに連絡 す るつもりだったのだが、家に着いた時、私はたいへん疲 れていた。

「のだが」? I thought you wanted to speak casually. Use だったんだけど or  だったけど

Drop the pronoun if you wanna sound natural. Who else's physical condition could you be talking about here?

疲 れていた = dictionary form, ain't it? Sounds pretty cold and impersonal. Use 「疲れてて・・・」, 「疲れてたんで・・・」, etc. You could use the period but the dots will look more natural to native speakers because you are dropping words.

そして、昨日はちょっと忙しいけど。 ごめん、まだあ まり上手ではないから私は日本語でメッセージを書くの はとても時間がかかる。

そして? That's one word Japanese-learners use WAY too often. Use で.

昨日はちょっと忙しいけど Use past tense.

時間がかかる Dictionary form again. Very impersonal. Use かかるの or かかるんです. This です doesn't sound formal because of the casual ん.

お元気? 真央さんたちに会えて話してうれしかったよ 。 父が真央さんたちに近づいた時、びっくりするのではな いかと心配した

会えて話して?? You can say 会えて, 話しもできて. 

心配した Dic form. You could add a few more words and say 「心配だったけど、大丈夫だった?」

そして私は自分に自信がなくてちょっと恥ずかしかった

そして >> それで OR で

でも、自信を持つほど真央さんたちが親切に励ましてく れた。 ほんとに感謝してる。

でも >> Good! I would have strangled you had you used しかし here.

自信を持つほど Close! 自身が持てるように

くれた & してる too dic and cold-sounding.
「~~くれたのでほんとに感謝してます。」  Putting a few ます's in there doesn't make it formal. This is where you want to really show your gratitude. You don't have to sound casual.

Though I realize now I made a bunch of mistakes... When I was talking about the Iron Giant statue I said "Nemeteru robotto', What I meant to say was 'nemute iru robotto' ><
[I really don't know how to say the first sentence. Sorry. ] アイロン・ジャイアントの像のことを話したとき、「ネ メテルロボット」と言っちゃった。 >< 言おうとし ていたことは、「眠っているロボット」だった。

You can start this with 「今思いだせば間違った事たくさん言っちゃったけど、 ~~」

だった dic. You are not writing a prose or composition or an academc speech script. Get rid of (most of the) dictionary forms at the ends of sentences or you yourself will end up sounding like a heartless robot.

ああ、発音は悪かった。 私はもっと練習することが必 要だ。 とにかく、日本語で話してくれて本当にありが とうございます。 いい経験でとても楽しかった。 ま た会えたらいいね。

発音は悪かった dic 「発音悪かったでしょう?」, better yet, 「発音ヒドかったでしょう?」

必 要だ We don't use だ this way or other ways very often. 「もっと練習しないとダメね。」

ちなみに、カメラをなくしちゃった ;_; 妹が写真 を何百枚撮ったでしょうからかなり悲しいんだ・

何百枚 >> 何百枚も

撮ったでしょうから Not incorrect but more naturally 撮ってるはずなので

かなり > けっこう

カメラを探しにまたあの大学に行くことになるかもしれ ない。でも、見つける見込みはほとんどなくてここから そこまで車で2時間だから、行かないかも。 カメラを 家中探していた。 カメラが現れてほしいと思う。

あの大学 Correct if it isn't your school.

見つける Make this intransitive.

探していた means you have stopped looking. Contrary to what Japanese-learners seem to blindly believe, "to have been looking for ~~" is 探している.
"To be looking for ~~" is also the same.

あそこに行くことになれば、[This is a somewhat weak suggestion, since I don't wanna bother them. How would you do that in Japanese?] ^0^ どのくらいアラバマに滞在するの?

You could say 「もしもう一度あそこに戻る事になれば、ひょっとして また会えるかもしれないね。」

英語お上手だ。 学校で習ったの? どうして英語を習 い始めたの?

「英語うまいんだね。」、「すごい英語できるんだね。 」

ところで、真央さん、栞さんと詠美子さんと未紗にもこ のメッセージを見せてください。[I'm a little afraid this sounds kinda rude, is it?] 彼女達もメールするつもりだ。 とても遅くてすみま せん。

見せてください sounds a little awkward. I would phrase it:
「ところで真央さん、栞さんと詠美子さんと未紗にもこ のメッセージを読ませてあげてください。」

彼女達も > にも

だ really makes you sound like a creature from outer space. Drop it or replace it with だよ or the natives' favorite elongated でーす. Elongate it and it is now casual.

ではまた~ [Or would 「じゃあね」 look better?]

We don't say じゃあね too often but it's possible. Try using ではでは.

Last edited by masaegu : 02-23-2011 at 08:26 AM.
(#242 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

02-23-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duo797 View Post
I have a quick question to go along with SP's letter/mail. I was under the impression that 大変 in the sense it was used sounds a bit... formal? (Thought not wrong at all). A few chapters ago in class, we were discussing the differences in speech levels and one example we had was 大変興味深い versus すごく面白い. Any opinions on this from someone with experience would be appreciated.
It's formal as an adverb as in your own example.

It is NOT formal as an adjective.
A:「昨日乗ってた電車が止まっちゃって、家に着いた の12時半だった。」
B:「そうなんだあ。 大変だったねー。」

Quote:
Double Edit: (Not sure this is the last either)
Amongst one of the things I'm supposed to be able to answer, I need to be able to tell the "student" how long they are able to stay in the US. I believe 一年間まで留学できます would suffice, but I feel like まで could be replaced by a better word. Can one of the 2-kanji words that starts with 以 an option (I can't remember all of them at the moment).
一年間以内なら留学できます。
(#243 (permalink))
Old
delacroix01 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-23-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
1. Yeah, any kind of coat or jacket.

2. Not quite. It means "to reach a certain (high) point". The dictionary form is いく as you said and good writers would NOT use the kanji to write it because it doesn't mean "to go" here.

3. Yes, "tends to get damaged easily".  This がち is one of those words native speakers use frequently but not Japanese-learners. An extremely useful word.

4. It's a dating service specializing in housewives.
Thanks again as usual, masaegu

Again, I have some questions for today, if you don't mind.

1. キミが食べたがってたスイーツ、ケーキ屋で買って来た よ。
This is just my guess, but is ~たがる similar to ~たい?

2. http://img813.imageshack.us/img813/5986/yamikin1136.jpg
I did some searches on the words in the last line, but didn't find anything except some people asking the same question. So far I can only assume クローンエイジ means "clone age", but I can't find out what ラリエラン means. Do you have any idea about it?

3. いろんな人のお嬢様っぽさがググっと圧縮されたような
Would you mind telling me what ググっと means? My dictionary doesn't have this word, and so do online dictionaries.

4. http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/3531/askl.jpg
Lastly, what is the kanji after 想われていて in the picture above?
(#244 (permalink))
Old
tetsume (Offline)
New to JF

02-23-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
I think you're getting confused. Furigana is the small hiragana or katakana written above a kanji to show you how to pronounce the kanji.
KyleGoetz i thank Yopu again. ...i´m so sorry about thata...you´re absolutely right...i was confused like caterpillar in pomegranate... ...at the time i were saying to my friends that most of the mangas have most of a kanji rewrite to furigana...and how i was thinkingabout it i wrote it here too...apologize......anyway...i wrote them to not write me in romanji...so i´l see how it will be going......again thank You so much...
(#245 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

02-23-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delacroix01 View Post
1. キミが食べたがってたスイーツ、ケーキ屋で買って来た よ。
This is just my guess, but is ~たがる similar to ~たい?

2. http://img813.imageshack.us/img813/5986/yamikin1136.jpg
I did some searches on the words in the last line, but didn't find anything except some people asking the same question. So far I can only assume クローンエイジ means "clone age", but I can't find out what ラリエラン means. Do you have any idea about it?

3. いろんな人のお嬢様っぽさがググっと圧縮されたような
Would you mind telling me what ググっと means? My dictionary doesn't have this word, and so do online dictionaries.

4. http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/3531/askl.jpg
Lastly, what is the kanji after 想われていて in the picture above?
1. Yes, those two have the same meaning but they are seldom interchangeable. With the first person, you must generally use たい. With the second and third person, you usually use たがる.

This is exactly why a surprisingly large number of Japanese-learners are unable to say correctly something as simple as "John wants to go home."

2. All I can think of is this:
Raëlism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3. It means "with much intensity".

4. 嬉しい
(#246 (permalink))
Old
delacroix01 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-23-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaegu View Post
1. Yes, those two have the same meaning but they are seldom interchangeable. With the first person, you must generally use たい. With the second and third person, you usually use たがる.

This is exactly why a surprisingly large number of Japanese-learners are unable to say correctly something as simple as "John wants to go home."
Thanks a lot, masaegu. Now I've learned another important grammar point

Quote:
2. All I can think of is this:
Raëlism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wow, it all makes sense to me now. Thanks again for the info

Quote:
4. 嬉しい
Woah! I didn't think it'd be this one
(#247 (permalink))
Old
El2IN (Offline)
Key's butterfly

Send a message via MSN to El2IN
02-23-2011, 04:59 PM

Hello ~~ I have a question for you guys if you don't mind. ^^;

When someone says ありがとうごじゃいます...
does the "じゃい" Sound like "zai"? As in Arigatou Gozaimasu ~~

Or would it be something like in English how we would say...
"Thanks bery much" instead of thanks very much. Like cuter?
Sort of ~~ :\

Anyway. "Arigatou Gojaimasu" if someone can help me.
(#248 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

02-24-2011, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El2IN View Post
Hello ~~ I have a question for you guys if you don't mind. ^^;

When someone says ありがとうごじゃいます...
does the "じゃい" Sound like "zai"? As in Arigatou Gozaimasu ~~

Or would it be something like in English how we would say...
"Thanks bery much" instead of thanks very much. Like cuter?
Sort of ~~ :\

Anyway. "Arigatou Gojaimasu" if someone can help me.
Was this in speaking or writing?

If a native speaker ever writes ありがとうごじゃいます, then that's how s/he wants you to read it for whatever purpose. Most likely s/he is just kidding around.

The only people I've ever heard actually say ありがとうごじゃいます are Koreans in the early stage of their Japanese studies.
(#249 (permalink))
Old
StonerPenguin (Offline)
loves bein' gross ಥ‿�

02-24-2011, 02:01 AM

Thanks a ton masaegu. I'm still a little confused regarding sounding cold using dictionary forms... (I already sent the revised version but I haven't got response yet) What should I do to avoid sounding cold? End every sentence with ね? But seriously, now I'm paranoid. I had no idea using dictionary forms and だ/だった sounded robotic. I don't really know how to put this in question form but, can you give me some tips? I'm so inexperienced in Japanese conversation. >< Maybe I should go back and look at manga and drama dialogues...
(#250 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

02-24-2011, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonerPenguin View Post
Thanks a ton masaegu. I'm still a little confused regarding sounding cold using dictionary forms... (I already sent the revised version but I haven't got response yet) What should I do to avoid sounding cold? End every sentence with ね? But seriously, now I'm paranoid. I had no idea using dictionary forms and だ/だった sounded robotic. I don't really know how to put this in question form but, can you give me some tips? I'm so inexperienced in Japanese conversation. >< Maybe I should go back and look at manga and drama dialogues...
I was kinda surprised to see you end sentences with the forms that you did because I always knew you translated manga and did it quite well. Even though manga characters often don't speak like any existing persons, it can be a good source of information regarding how we don't end sentences like one might be required to in a Japanese class.

What you should do to avoid sounding cold, impersonal or robotic is to end almost no sentences with the dictionary forms of verbs, auxiliary verbs and adjectives. This is particularly important in exchanging informal messages among friends. However, this does not mean that using the same particle like ね at the end of every sentence will solve the problem. In fact, using the same sentence-ender over and over will make you sound just as cold and boring, etc. as when you end every sentence with a dictionary form.

Selecting the right endings in casual speech is difficult mostly because it's a personal choice. It should reflect your personal character (and sometimes even your social status) and how you want to associate with the other person. In other words, I am not you; therefore, I cannot choose the endings for you. To decide at this point on how you should end your sentenecs is impossible because we are, in essence, asking this ultimate question: "How would StonerPenguin speak if she were a Japanese-speaker?" In every language, everyone speaks differently.

You will need to read and write a whole lot to gradually formulate your speech patterns in Japanese. This cannot and shoud not be done overnight. Frankly, it might take a few years judging from your writing this time. As of now, you have no patterns, habits or preferences. You are busy enough writing grammatical Japanese without thinking about giving character or personality to your sentences.

That you are paranoid is good because many learners won't ever even notice this issue or be informed of it. You probably have a head start compared to others. I've met North Americans who had majored in Japanese in college that never knew until they came to Japan that we seldom used pronouns.

Read what you receive from those girls carefully from now on. I would even suggest that you specifically request that they write to you the same way they write their Japanese friends. The reason I say this is that Japanese-speakers often change their writing according to the "level" of the other person's writing when h/she is not a Japanese-speaker.
Closed Thread