Quote:
Originally Posted by StonerPenguin View Post
Wings, I thought you lived in Japan...? O:

Literally;
日本人 Japanese people
が are
少ない few/scarce
ところ place
"A place where Japanese people are scarce." / "A place where there are few Japanese people."
Here, 「日本人が少ない」 is an adjective clause modifying 「ところ」.
I do. I was just talking to some chick who I guess was saying she wanted to go to America, and visit a place where there aren't a lot of Japanese people.
Of course all of that makes sense and I should have understood it, I just got caught up on 少ない.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#882 (permalink))
Old
jesselt (Offline)
弱肉強食

06-15-2011, 08:55 PM

Thanks Masaegu and Kyle!
(#883 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

06-15-2011, 09:26 PM

This is another stupid one, but I'm wondering how to appropriately write, "My (job) is in Japan." I feel like using 中で, but I don't know if that's too literal.

(#884 (permalink))
Old
yuriyuri (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-15-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
This is another stupid one, but I'm wondering how to appropriately write, "My (job) is in Japan." I feel like using 中で, but I don't know if that's too literal.
When you say your "job is in Japan" I assume you mean you "work in Japan"?
If that is the case I would have thought something like 日本で働いてる or 日本で仕事をしてる would be ok.

Last edited by yuriyuri : 06-15-2011 at 09:47 PM. Reason: I missed a couple of words in my sentence...
(#885 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

06-15-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
This illustrates an important lesson you need to master: How to avoid things you don't know how to say by using things you do know how to say. This will teach you not to translate things literally.
(#886 (permalink))
Old
JF Noob

06-15-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriyuri View Post
When you say your "job is in Japan" I assume you mean you "work in Japan"?
If that is the case I would have thought 日本で働いてる or 日本で仕事をしてる would be ok.
Yeah I know that way, but I literally want to say, "My job is in Japan" or anything "xyz is in Japan," instead of simply "I work in Japan" because I often have to differentiate between what I do in America versus Japan (as far as locality).

(#887 (permalink))
Old
yuriyuri (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-15-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Yeah I know that way, but I literally want to say, "My job is in Japan" or anything "xyz is in Japan," instead of simply "I work in Japan" because I often have to differentiate between what I do in America versus Japan (as far as locality).
Hmmm... I'm having some difficulty understanding exactly what you want to say here.
Perhaps if you provide an example English sentence of how you would differentiate between what you do in America versus Japan someone might be able to help you
Because when you say your job is in Japan the only two sentences I can think of are the ones I gave above (Because to me that just means you work in Japan)
So an English example sentence of differentiation might help people to see exactly what you want to say.
(#888 (permalink))
Old
JF Noob

06-15-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriyuri View Post
Hmmm... I'm having some difficulty understanding exactly what you want to say here.
Perhaps if you provide an example English sentence of how you would differentiate between what you do in America versus Japan someone might be able to help you
Because when you say your job is in Japan the only two sentences I can think of are the ones I gave above (Because to me that just means you work in Japan)
So an English example sentence of differentiation might help people to see exactly what you want to say.
Sorry if it's not clear
What I want to say is "My job is (located) in Japan." I'm trying to describe the location of the job itself, not the fact that I work at said job. This is different from "I work in Japan."

Another example could be, "My apartment is in Japan." This is different from "I live in Japan," because I'm describing the location of my apartment, not the fact that I live there.

(#889 (permalink))
Old
yuriyuri (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-15-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Sorry if it's not clear
What I want to say is "My job is (located) in Japan." I'm trying to describe the location of the job itself, not the fact that I work at said job. This is different from "I work in Japan."

Another example could be, "My apartment is in Japan." This is different from "I live in Japan," because I'm describing the location of my apartment, not the fact that I live there.
Personally I'm really struggling to think of another way of saying your job is in Japan.
Because the sentence 日本で働いてる for example, already gives people the location of your job.

I am only learning Japanese so perhaps I am wrong and there is a way to say the thing you want to say. But I really can't think of anything else to describe where your job is (where you work)

As far as I know, in Japanese sentences like "My boyfriend is in Japan." and "My job is in Japan." are expressed in different ways, unlike in English.

Examples being:
ボーイフレンドは今日本にいる (My boyfriend is in Japan)
日本で働いてる (I work in Japan - hence that is where my job is)

As a Japanese learner, the best sentence I can think of which isn't 日本で働いてる is something like:
勤めてる会社は日本にある

However, as I said before, I am only a learner myself and this could be unnatural, or I could be wrong altogether.

So having said all of that, I will now step down and see what more experienced Japanese speakers say on the matter

I am sorry I could not be of any more help.
(#890 (permalink))
Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-15-2011, 10:57 PM

私の職場は日本にある。

「私は韓国に住んでますが、私の職場は日本にあり、毎日自家用ジェットで通勤しています。片道1時間半
で、税関は免除されてます。」

Last edited by Supperman : 06-15-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Closed Thread