JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japanese Language Help (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/)
-   -   Found a good source for people who want to learn Japanese (https://www.japanforum.com/forum/japanese-language-help/27711-found-good-source-people-who-want-learn-japanese.html)

godwine 09-14-2009 01:18 PM

Found a good source for people who want to learn Japanese

Found this over the weekend. Have fun

Tae Kim's Japanese guide to Japanese grammar

GTJ 09-14-2009 01:50 PM

I absolutely love this guide. He really gives an in-depth look at Japanese from a learner's perspective, someone who has really gone far in the language. Plus it's fun to read.

I recommend taking it in little chunks each day, then practicing them until you've got them down. Then go back for more. :)

komitsuki 09-14-2009 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwine (Post 771001)
Found this over the weekend. Have fun

Tae Kim's Japanese guide to Japanese grammar

That's a standard for learning Japanese.

Sinestra 09-14-2009 02:08 PM

Its pretty standard but the more resources available for people the better. I think its a good post for people who dont know about it.

GTJ 09-14-2009 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by komitsuki (Post 771010)
That's a standard for learning Japanese.

Apparently not cuz I just found it only a few months ago ;) It isn't advertised in classrooms or too many other venues for learning Japanese...

Heather 09-14-2009 03:22 PM

This is cool...

yuriyuri 09-14-2009 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTJ (Post 771022)
Apparently not cuz I just found it only a few months ago ;) It isn't advertised in classrooms or too many other venues for learning Japanese...

I always thought it was more standard for people like myself who self-study or don't like classes.
Since I self-study I must have felt more inclined to google "japanese grammar" and click on the number 1 result when I first started out, than the average person taking a class who has grammar in a text book already.

That being said I do find myself handing this link out a lot, even to those who are self-studying... Maybe I just expect too much from people, I mean, is it really too much to think everybody has some useful degree of google-fu? lol, oh well.

I used to read it every single day, awesome resource :cool:

Sinestra 09-14-2009 03:42 PM

Either way its very cool. Its something you can do whenever you sit down in front of the PC. I love those internet flash cards too those are great as well.

spoonybard 09-14-2009 04:36 PM

Another great way to learn is by subscribing to Hiragana Times at J-List -- a wonderful toybox of things from Japan!. At the site, they have this thing called a reserve subscription, which means that they get the magazines and save it for you if you prefer paying by money order or checks instead of credit card.

Hiragana Times has articles in English, which has kanji at the bottom, and furinaga at the top so that you can essentially learn how to read and speak the language at the same time. If you would like a taste of it, here's this link:

Introducing Topics of Japan - Japanese Lesson

godwine 09-14-2009 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuriyuri (Post 771028)
I always thought it was more standard for people like myself who self-study or don't like classes.
Since I self-study I must have felt more inclined to google "japanese grammar" and click on the number 1 result when I first started out, than the average person taking a class who has grammar in a text book already.

That being said I do find myself handing this link out a lot, even to those who are self-studying... Maybe I just expect too much from people, I mean, is it really too much to think everybody has some useful degree of google-fu? lol, oh well.

I used to read it every single day, awesome resource :cool:

I never said I didn't google this or was I trying to be a hero telling the world that "I found something the rest of you didn't"

I merely made this post thinking that it will benefit others, I don't really need this myself......