LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

03-10-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacerier View Post
would シさんは卒業することができる by any way sound weird?
No, not at all.

Quote:
also is it true that の can be used to change a verb into a gerund, if so what modifications must i make to the third sentence valid (3rd sentence: シさんは卒業するのができる)
You cannot say 卒業するのができる. You can say 卒業することができる.

The verb nominalizer の is used in the following ways.
食べるが好きです。 I love eating.
勉強するがきらいです。 I dislike studying.
さくぶんを書くはむずかしい。 It's hard to write compos.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
pacerier (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-10-2010, 06:42 PM

thanks for the info ^^

anyway in 卒業するのができる (is there a kanji for できる?), is it true that the problem lies with のができる. in other words is it true that this is incorrect as well:
勉強するのができる

also can we use 止める to refer to "parking bicycles", likewise can we use 置く to refer to parking cars. in other words will all of these be acceptable:
あそこ自転車を置かなければなりません
あそこ自転車を止めなければなりません
あそこで車を置かなければなりません
あそこで車を止めなければなりません
if the red is changed with a で will the 2 sentences above still be valid?

on a side note, do we usually write the なければなりません conjugation with kana or kanji

========================================
(#23 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

03-10-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacerier View Post
thanks for the info ^^

anyway in 卒業するのができる (is there a kanji for できる?), is it true that the problem lies with のができる. in other words is it true that this is incorrect as well:
勉強するのができる

also can we use 止める to refer to "parking bicycles", likewise can we use 置く to refer to parking cars. in other words will all of these be acceptable:
あそこ自転車を置かなければなりません
あそこ自転車を止めなければなりません
あそこで車を置かなければなりません
あそこで車を止めなければなりません
if the red is changed with a で will the 2 sentences above still be valid?

on a side note, do we usually write the なければなりません conjugation with kana or kanji
The problem is the の. Vことができる is a set phrase. You cannot modify it.

Regarding なければならない, there are no kanji to use there. It's always kana. What kanji were you going to try and use? I'm curious.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-11-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
You've got the guideline really wrong.
Well, this isn't my guideline(るverb..ichidan/うverb..godan), I am just saying what was written in my first Japanese text book, and how my teacher (a native) explained it to me.

Quote:
For example, 止まる is a godan verb even though it ends in る.
This is quite useful, I have never noticed it before. But now that I think about it, it is true. It would have been nice to have told this as a beginner.

Quote:
2. Does it end in /eru/ or /iru/? If no, it is godan. If yes, it's probably ichidan.
ahh but herein lies the confusion I suppose.

lovely words like 蘇る、翻る、覆る、切る、散る、練る、軋る、知る、蹴 る、減る、契る、照る。。

my feeling is there is enough that do not fit the form to make one unsure of oneself sometimes.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

03-11-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickOShay View Post
Well, this isn't my guideline(るverb..ichidan/うverb..godan), I am just saying what was written in my first Japanese text book, and how my teacher (a native) explained it to me.

This is quite useful, I have never noticed it before. But now that I think about it, it is true. It would have been nice to have told this as a beginner.

ahh but herein lies the confusion I suppose.

lovely words like 蘇る、翻る、覆る、切る、散る、練る、軋る、知る、蹴 る、減る、契る、照る。。

my feeling is there is enough that do not fit the form to make one unsure of oneself sometimes.
You listed very few verbs, relatively speaking. Beyond that, did you notice how each one, if you throw away the kanji part, only is る? This should be a hint to you. If you know how it's written, you can know this type of verb is (maybe always?) going to be godan. Besides, I don't care if you're unsure. If you're chatting with someone, there is no room for unsureness. You just conjugate it based on the probabilities and hope you're right. You can't stop the convo to look up whether it's ichidan or godan. Play the probabilities, man.

My rule is much more accurate than what you were taught. And for what it's worth, Yookoso! teaches what I'm saying.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-11-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
You listed very few verbs, relatively speaking. Beyond that, did you notice how each one, if you throw away the kanji part, only is る? This should be a hint to you. If you know how it's written, you can know this type of verb is (maybe always?) going to be godan. Besides, I don't care if you're unsure. If you're chatting with someone, there is no room for unsureness. You just conjugate it based on the probabilities and hope you're right. You can't stop the convo to look up whether it's ichidan or godan. Play the probabilities, man.

My rule is much more accurate than what you were taught. And for what it's worth, Yookoso! teaches what I'm saying.
honestly, this is not an issue for me anymore, and im just trying to point out that the difference between verbs like 寝る and 練る and 減る and 経る might be hard for a new learner to sift through.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

03-11-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
honestly, this is not an issue for me anymore, and im just trying to point out that the difference between verbs like 寝る and 練る and 減る and 経る might be hard for a new learner to sift through.
I agree with you.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
pacerier (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-11-2010, 08:14 PM

anyway is it common to use 食事をする to mean eat or is 食べる preferred? which of this 2 would be more commonly said:
A) レストランで食事をしました
B) レストランで食べた

========================================
(#29 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-11-2010, 10:29 PM

I would probably say B if I happened to say that sentence. The first one just seems like too much effort for such mundane information.
But I know 食事 to be a fairly common word too. And I do use it as well...but this a question for a native.....

Last edited by RickOShay : 03-11-2010 at 10:33 PM.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-11-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
I would probably say B if I happened to say that sentence. The first one just seems like too much effort for such mundane information.
But I know 食事 to be a fairly common word too. And I do use it as well...but this a question for a native.....
I've never seen 食事 used with する to make a verb. It's always seen it as something like食事できました、 食事時or 食事代 or just 食事 by itself. I mean, i'm sure you CAN use 食事する, but it doesn't seem to be common.