JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Zongo (Offline)
New to JF

Online Kanji - 05-04-2010, 11:01 AM

Does anyone know of a website for learning kanji that is as good as kanagrams for learning kana? I am really struggling with kanji. I think I have mastered only about 50 and I really want to be able to read by the end of the year.

Cheers,
James
(#2 (permalink))
Old
SceptileMaster (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-04-2010, 11:50 AM

If your use a Mac (or if you have an iPhone/iPod Touch) I suggest iKanji. It's really helped me for learning a kanji list recently. I learnt like another 60 or so kanji over the short easter break (excluding my holidays so that's about 10 or 11 days). Just keep it consistent and you'll have more kanji mastered in no time (having to study other things is probably the reason I only know about 230 kanji, you'd have no problem if you just one thing to study). Apart from that I'm not sure what to suggest since I use iKanji in conjunction with books for kanji (and then check stroke order videos on: wwkanji 2056 opeing page).

I've not used it but KanjiAlive looks okay for a kanji learning website. Maybe you should try it. Kanji alive: A free, web-based tool for learning to read and write Japanese kanji
(#3 (permalink))
Old
yuriyuri (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-04-2010, 11:58 AM

I don't know of any sites you can use but in my opinion you would be best of buying some books like 'Kanji in Context' and just learning to read by... well... reading.
Also you can use the firefox plugin 'Rikaichan' to read websites.
(But if you do this, don't allow Rikaichan to become a crutch)

I say this because I get the impression you are trying to learn each reading for each kanji seperatly (Based on the type of site your asking for)
But when you come across words like 長年 and 長時間, how will you know how to read 長? for example.

Anyway, it is only my opinion, but I think the majority just learn to read, by reading.

Rikaichan: rikaichan | polarcloud.com

Kanji in Context:
Kanji in Context Reference Book: Amazon.co.uk: Nishiguchi et al: Books
Kanji in Context Workbook vol 1: Bk. 1: Amazon.co.uk: Nishiguchi et a: Books
Kanji in Context Workbook vol 2: Bk. 2 Kanji in Context Series: Amazon.co.uk: Nishiguchi, Kono: Books

Edit:
I forgot to mention, Kanji in Context has no English in it.
I started using it with a basic knoweledge of grammar and basic knoweledge of 100 kanji (Just to take a wild guess at a number there lol)

It was difficult to start out with, and I asked lots of questions on various forums, but after about 10 pages things got easier.

Last edited by yuriyuri : 05-04-2010 at 12:01 PM.